GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Strange squeal noise, audio attached.

7K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mnussbaum 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have this weird sound that my 2010 v6 equinox is making.
I can't tell if it is power steering related (had the recall done..and the 1500 rpm noise is gone). It is this squeal type noise that is only there during idle...and not there all the time (but is there 90% of the time).
ANY engine speed above idle it is gone. I think it might be related to the A/C compressor, but doesn't go away when i turn the HVAC off.

I attached a recording i made, it is kinda a crappy recording, but you can hear the squeal for sure. The vehicle is just idling with me out of the car, and the sound starts getting higher and higher pitched, and something clicks and the noise goes away.

can anyone please listen to this and let me know what they think? The dealer says they can't hear anything.

(its a .mov file..but its not a movie)

http://files.me.com/alexnelson/j3nq4p.mov

Thanks!..it is really annoying, especially in drive-thrus!

See less See more
#2 ·
Seems like it would be A/C Compressor related. I had an older car that had a clutch fan that made the same noise. The clicking is the compressor cycling. Either turning on or turning off. Belt or bearing maybe?

#3 ·
Phantm006 said:
Seems like it would be A/C Compressor related. I had an older car that had a clutch fan that made the same noise. The clicking is the compressor cycling. Either turning on or turning off. Belt or bearing maybe?
Thanks for the reply. Did you by chance listen to the file?

#4 ·
Sounds like very serious transfer case.

#5 ·
TerrainSLT2 said:
Sounds like very serious transfer case.
COuld a transfer case make that noise if the vehicle is in park?

#6 ·
I’m not sure yet because that noise is more noisier than what I have before and I can only hear it at 30mph & up but it’s similar noise…so I send it right away to the dealer so that they can fix it before anything happen or before it can make it worse. I suggest that you need to send your vehicle to the dealer as early as possible while it is under warranty before it’s to late.

#8 ·
just got back from the dealer......noise is gone!

They replaced the water pump, the shaft was rubbing against a seal.

I can post up the dealer sheet if needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.