GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, glad to see such an active forum for these cars! Just spent a couple hours going through posts to make sure I couldn't find this answer elsewhere.

We just bought our 2017 SLE-2 on Monday and fell in love with it right away. Fast forward 24 hours to Tuesday night and a strange rattle developed after driving about 100 miles round trip. Thought it may have been no big deal, parked it for the night. Next morning, started up with no rattle. Drove my son to school (about 4 miles away) and by the time we stopped and opened the door at school I heard the rattle again very clear. It was loud enough even my wife heard it and asked if that was normal.

Tried to pinpoint it and it definitely sounds like it is coming from the front of the motor, near s-belt and pulleys. Most noticeable at idle, still present while driving but no apparent change based on speed/idle/rpm. Recorded the video, parked it until this morning when I drove it to the dealer. Of course, no rattle today so they said to leave it overnight on Monday and they'll take a look Tuesday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49628292466/in/dateposted-public/

I know there is the balance shaft / tensioner/ timing chain issue with some of these motors and was hoping to get some insight before the dealer has time to inspect it. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
9,940 Posts
How about the catalytic converter guard ? See if it is loose.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
does noise go away when engine warmed ? oil level ?

I just had a relatives nox , same noise (?) and it was the front exhaust system , steel braided flex joint rattling.

It would only rattle certain times

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. Heat guard seems solid, didn't check the flex joint. The first thing I checked was the oil level, it was perfect. It actually was only happening when engine was warm, but hasn't happened again since Wednesday morning.

My thought was if it was a tensioner or something serious it would be constant and get worse, but I don't have any experience with that issue firsthand to know. Leaning towards something working itself loose... No rust anywhere.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Start with belt and tensioner. They are known to go bad on 2.4’s. It does make that kind of noise. That would be a relatively simple thing to start with. You’ll have less than a diagnosis fee if you buy the belt and tensioner on RockAuto and do it yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you mean the drive belt and tensioner? Wouldn't that be consistently making noise if the bearings were going out? Last few days it hasn't made a peep and I'm considering canceling the dealer inspection until the noise comes back again. Hate to pay for the "we couldn't replicate the sound" song and dance.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yep, drive belt and tensioner. Our 2015 2.4 did the noise intermittently and the drive belt and tensioner helped. Then the oil consumption started, and noises returned, but that was timing chain that time around. Since you’re not noticing oil consumption, I’d say starting with the drive belt and tensioner is prudent. Even if that’s not the cure, it’s a good/necessary PM anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Smitty. Haven't been able to find any other sources for the sound, so I will start with your suggestions and keep an eye on oil levels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are in Western Washington and life basically came to a stand still last week with all this COVID-19 craziness. The new Terrain has been parked in the garage, but once life returns to normal I will try to post any updates on the progress or solutions. Thanks for checking in!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts