GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2019 Redline, 14K miles - 2 dealer oil changes so far (using Shell 93 octane gas). Towing a 1,500 lb trailer (aluminum open trailer with 600 pound motorcycle) back from Texas to Maine. Was running great, made the trip down a month ago. We were returning to Maine early due to the hysteria over the Corona Virus..

We were passing a vehicle on I-40 when the engine started to falter. Rolled to a stop on the busy breakdown lane, a message about reduced power came on the screen along with a check engine light. It started but made a huge amount of smoke out of the tail pipes, barely idled and then stalled. The exhaust smells of unburnt gasoline.

The car was towed to a Chevrolet dealership and we're staying at a hotel nearby hoping the dealership can look at it tomorrow. If it's something serious we're in a mess - especially with businesses shutting down and issues with supply.

We've done this trip (trailer and all) with a 2004 high mileage Pontiac Grand Am 5 times (5,000 miles round trip)..It always got us home.
Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
What engine?
I'm guessing the 2.0L. . . since he mentioned 93 octane fuel. . . also is a Red Line model but not sure that implies a 2.0L or not

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm guessing that since you said black smoke about of the "pipes", since there's 2 of them you likely have the 2.0...

That said - Was there a recall notice about the intercooler pipe clamp for the 2.0 like there was for the 1.5? Since you said you were passing someone I'm thinking you were in the boost and the intercooler pipe popped off - especially if you haven't had the recall done yet? I suppose it would be especially weird if you've already had the recall repaired...without knowing too many details the symptoms seem to line up.

Good luck and safe travels home once it's straightened out! Hoping it's an easy repair for you!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Any ideas or suggestions?
I think the Redline Edition only came with the 2.0L in 2019.
Hard to keep track of trim level changes.

As for what the problem is, not much to go on.
If the oil and coolant level is good and doesn't appear to be contaminated my first thought would fuel pump or pressure regulator related.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry, it's the 2.0 turbo with the 9 speed transmission. It does seem like it's fuel related. No leaks, all fluid levels where they should be. Ran fine and without warning it started breaking up, then the smoke when I tried to start it.
Coincidentally I received a monthly online report, as of yesterday there was no engine transmission issues, only one tire with 29 psi, which I corrected. I did get another message this afternoon advising to bring the vehicle in for service within one day as there was a condition noted with the engine. No details were provided.

·
Registered
491 Posts
That's depressing; you aren't towing much weight, I wouldn't think the problem would be related to towing.

I have just shy of 14K miles on my 2.0 Redline; I am really interested in your findings as to the cause.

I hope this isn't an LSPI issue with broken pistons! You said that you are using 93 octane when towing, are you also using the tow/haul mode?

I sincerely hope it's a minor issue and not catastrophic.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Might want to buy an OBD-2 Code reader and carry it with you on these long trips. That's what I do when I drive up and down the East Coast. I figure I'd be able to at least post the Check Engine codes and maybe one or more members could shoot me some ideas to protect myself against the dealership "diagnosis".

Good luck! I hope it's a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix that gets you back on the road ASAP!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Might want to buy an OBD-2 Code reader and carry it with you on these long trips. That's what I do when I drive up and down the East Coast. I figure I'd be able to at least post the Check Engine codes and maybe one or more members could shoot me some ideas to protect myself against the dealership "diagnosis".

Good luck! I hope it's a quick, easy, and inexpensive fix that gets you back on the road ASAP!
That's a good idea, most useful if driving a vehicle that's past the warranty period.

Greenie should be well within warranty coverage with his 2019 and shouldn't fear the dealers' diagnosis.

I'm anxious to hear the diagnosis as I have essentially the same vehicle; the only difference is mine is a FWD; his is AWD.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two states are already planning to close restaurants due to the Corona virus scare. Unless the repair is simple and quick I'm probably going to have to rent a car to get home - maybe a U-Haul to tow the motorcycle trailer back. I don't want to get stuck on the road with all this panic sweeping the world.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Here in PA, most bars and restaurants are closing with the exception of take-out. Grocery stores and gas stations remain open. Even if you can't find a restaurant you should still be able to get something to eat at a grocery store or gas station. Dine-in is what the health experts are worried about the most. They don't want large groups of people in close proximity to one another.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alexander Chevrolet in Dickson is either now or soon will be taking the car in. It did start after a lot of cranking and did run better but still with a lot of smoke. They think it just might be an injector - which they might not have in stock. There's also a chance a piston may be cracked from the injector failure. They're going to do a leak down test and bore scope the affected cylinder. I think we're in good hands as it stands right now.
Just the same, if parts are going to take more than a day we're going to rent a U Haul van to tow the trailer back to Maine before everything shuts down.
We ate a Cracker Barrel last night, there were others there, probably a lot less than normal since Cracker Barrels are almost always very busy.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Sorry to hear this Greenie.
I don't remember if the warranty towing also covers any additional expenses like motels and rentals.
If your car has towing insurance check to see what type of trip interruption expenses are covered.
For now keep all receipts.

·
Registered
956 Posts
That said - Was there a recall notice about the intercooler pipe clamp for the 2.0 like there was for the 1.5?

I have not received a recall notice for my 2.0.

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
Wishing you well. a safe return home and ultimate resolution to the engine issue.

Amazing how things can quickly change even in our country. We cancelled our annual Florida Spring break trip last week just before things really hit the fan. No plans for traveling right now.

Hate to be a doom sayer, but this situation does not bode well for the next 1.5 to 2 years according to the medical people on news sources as well as people close to us in the health care arena. It will be awhile before any hopeful vaccine may be widely available. This is a real test to everyone's resolve, patience, common sense and willingness to help whatever way each can. This puts all of us on a front line to cooperate and stay aware.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to hear that they're moving towards fixing the problem. Good luck and safe travels on your way home...whatever you're driving...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: We're still stranded on the road in Tennessee. The injector came in Tuesday, the dealership realized yesterday that they also needed a one use hose assembly - 3 or 4 hoses in one assembly that can be used only one time. This part should be arriving today from Jackson MS. I spoke withe the service manager - they did do a leak down test and did bore scope the affected cylinder, but a hairline crack in the piston might not be detected by either. The dealership wants to put the car on the road, test it to be sure. The service manager also said that the catalylic converter will fail at a later date due to the excessive unburnt fuel running through it.

I did look at trading to a comparable vehicle just to get home, but a 2019 with 14K miles has lost over $12K in value - that's a big hit.

·
Registered
184 Posts
First year depreciation is always the worst.

It is a shame the dealer cannot also replace the catalytic converter now, since they have identified it as a future failure point due to the fuel issue.

Sounds like what they are doing will at least get you back on the road and hopefully back home drama free.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The service manager also said that the catalylic converter will fail at a later date due to the excessive unburnt fuel running through it.

Ask him to note this on your ticket.
It might help if the converter fails after warranty expires.
Once you're home I would also ask your local dealer if it can be replaced.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts