GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Go online to the Chevrolet dealer of your choice and pull up a 2020 Blazer either on the lot or "In Transit".
Click on a window sticker.
Look on the page under Standard Equipment, then Mechanical.
It lists the Stop/Start deactivate switch mounted on the center console for the ignition cycle.
Ohh yeah ... I see it ... "Automatic Stop/Start with disable". So it's gonna be the "one-timer" solution that you'll have to press every time you get in the vehicle.

Well .. that's so close to being "permanent" that it shouldn't take much to *make* it permanent, right? Probably just use some variant of "VictorVDC's" solution.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Something strange going on with the forum. I replied to "rednox301" about two hours after his post (#20) - from my laptop, but the post is not here!

But I can see it on my iPhone right now (as post #21).

I tried going to page #3, but it doesn't exist. And I just booted up the laptop, so it's not a "refresh" thing.

Funny thing is - I entered the post from my laptop, not my phone. You'd think if a post was only going to appear on one or the other it would appear on the one you entered it on (using the browser you entered it on)...

And it's been 13 hours, so it should've appeared by now.

Maybe this post will load the previous post ... let's see ...

EDIT: YUP! IT DID! THAT's WEIRD!

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
The forum has been doing wierd things for me also the past day or two. Yesterday, it would let me view some posts, but bounce back to the home screen for one other.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Ohh yeah ... I see it ... "Automatic Stop/Start with disable". So it's gonna be the "one-timer" solution that you'll have to press every time you get in the vehicle.

Well .. that's so close to being "permanent" that it shouldn't take much to *make* it permanent, right? Probably just use some variant of "VictorVDC's" solution.
Or an inching relay to just push the button for you each time the car starts.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I think GM did a second hand dealer misdirection trick with the start/stop....you know when they say "i have to tell you there is a scratch on the door" but does not tell you it was in a roll over kinda thing.

So much attention on this feature with very few discussions of other features in this car...the turbos, transmission, automatic front grille opening/closing etc..

·
Registered
3,562 Posts

Or an inching relay to just push the button for you each time the car starts.
Yup! Just bothers me that owners will still have to modify it - even with the switch there - just because of the computer implementation!

And is that implementation the way it is due to the CAFE rule, or is it just GM’s (and other manufacturer’s) interpretation of the rule?

The “rule” should be based on the capability of the vehicle, not forcing these things down people’s throats - which means make it work like cruise control: ON means active, OFF means inactive. And then maybe encourage the use of Stop/Start by displaying cumulative fuel savings over time (or would that be laughable because this is a “greater good” feature and not really something each individual greatly benefits from)?

Reactions: c&wsinbad

·
Registered
40 Posts
Auto Stop/Start in hot weather

Reviewing the posts it seems there is still confusion about the interaction between this feature and A/C operation. When the engine stops the A/C fan does keep blowing and depending the outside temperature after a period of time the engine will restart to maintain cabin temps. On mine in mid 80 to low 90's this is usually 30 to 40 seconds and we don't notice the car getting warm. The thing I do notice is the restart isn't very smooth when you still have your foot on the brake (kind of a shudder). By the time you get anywhere near a 100 degrees it doesn't shut off at all (at least in Tucson, AZ anyway). Another variable is the sun load on the dash sensor. Bright midday sun will keep it from shutting off at even lower temps.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
+1 Check out post number 8

·
Registered
18 Posts
Gentlemen,

There is an easy way to disable the Stop/start and available for many vehicles by the following company: www.smartstopstart.com

What it does is pulse the hood circuit to simulate the hood being opened and closed after the vehicle has been started. The computer thinks the vehicle is being serviced and disables the stop/start mode as a safety feature (I guess they dont want the car running over the technician).

Operation of this is transparent to the driver. Vehicle is started, a quick hood open and closed will be indicated on the cluster and thats it. You will receive a module that has connectors on each end. You unplug your hood latch connector and insert the module between the 2 connectors and your good to go. I know this module is available for the Buick Envision and Cadillac XT5. Check the web site for your specific year and application. The owner of the company Steve is a great guy and very knowledgeable.

A simple and cost effective feature for another GM screwup that wont affect your warranty and can be easily installed and removed if you wish.

There also in another product manufactured by Range technologies that not only circumvents the stop/start but the automatic fuel management that shuts off 2 cylinders (6 cyl) models. More expensive but then again too does more. It is such a shame that GM shoves this crap down our throats and gives us THE OWNERS no way to shut it off. They claim its for fuel economy, I say bullshit. I have a 2017 Camaro ZL1 with a 650hp factor LT4 engine. Up on the highway it gets better fuel economy then the V6 does and they charged me a 2500 gas guzzler for the Camaro that has none of this crap but it gets better gas mileage. You gotta just love the EPA.

·
Registered
10,115 Posts
I hate this AutoStop «feature», is it safe or convenient to always drive in L6?

Safe - Yes, convenient - No. It requires extra steps on your part.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you put the gear shifter into "L", just below "D", and then hit the "+" on top of the shifter to 6(for the 1.5l) or 9(for the 2.0), it will become a regular automatic transmission. That should solve your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've you drive with car in "manual" and set to highest gear this will disable the auto stop feature.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've you drive with car in "manual" and set to highest gear this will disable the auto stop feature.
That's what I do because I'm too lazy to get do the hack right now. I'm so used to it now it's just natural to shift all the way down to L and click the + button till it shows 9.

·
Registered
217 Posts
That's what I do because I'm too lazy to get do the hack right now. I'm so used to it now it's just natural to shift all the way down to L and click the + button till it shows 9.
Same here I also have my wife doing the same :ditto:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Honestly I want to invent serial 2 port plug in key adapter that cost about 12 cents...this would reprogram the L selection to the highest available number when placed in L instead of the lowest. I could charge $9.99 for it!...
I'd be a billion air and there'd be simple solution that you would only have to unplug pull out before taking the vehicle in for service.

·
Registered
47 Posts
One huge problem with running the vehicle in L comes when having to shift into reverse in an emergency situation. It's an extra click up on the shifter and is hard (at least for me) to get used to. I was behind a semi at a truck stop (in a Pontiac) when the semi started backing up. I could have gotten out of its way except that I had been driving with the transmission in the position below Drive. Those few seconds (it was 2 in the morning and I was tired) of delay ruined the car. It's hard to reverse 50 years of driving habits.

·
Registered
73 Posts
One huge problem with running the vehicle in L comes when having to shift into reverse in an emergency situation. It's an extra click up on the shifter and is hard (at least for me) to get used to. I was behind a semi at a truck stop (in a Pontiac) when the semi started backing up. I could have gotten out of its way except that I had been driving with the transmission in the position below Drive. Those few seconds (it was 2 in the morning and I was tired) of delay ruined the car. It's hard to reverse 50 years of driving habits.
Some of the newer cars don't even have a shift knob now. They are doing that rotor knob or push-button thing now. That will take some getting used to. Makes me wonder if you will be able to get to N while the car is moving if the floor mat gets up on the gas pedal or something..

21 - 40 of 61 Posts