GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea if the 2020 Equinox will have a switch to disable stop/start? I've looked on the internet and haven't been able to find anything yet.

Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Doubt it. If they decide to implement one, it probably won't make its debut until mid-cycle refresh like 2021-22. They have some spy shots floating around with a revised front-end etc.

Or just buy a start-stop module if you don't want to wait. Works great.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
No it doesn't. I checked. Sadly, they don't listen to the people who are asking for the option.
Going to start a dispute. I’ll bet there’re more owners that don’t mind Auto/Stop than do.

·
Registered
15 Posts
scbearsfan: I think it should be able to be turned off. I have it on our Buick and don't mind it though, you get used to it. That said, I think it's been a big enough complaint with other Equinox and other Chevy/GM owners I know, that they should allow a way to shut It off. Other brands offer it and you can shut if off.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I guess I’m one of those owners that has no problem with it either way, if it was available I probably wouldn’t use it, unless it was set to OFF when the car was delivered to us.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Like I said, I personally don't mind it. I know people who own a GM and it's their chief complaint. My sister has a Buick Encore and while she doesn't mind it, she does try to get it to stay on by coasting at a red light which works. I'm considering buying an Equinox, that's why I'm here. The only real complaint I have (and I've driven several GM vehicles with it) is when the engine shuts off, it shuts off your A/C fan. Not great sitting in a hot car when it's 100 degrees and the A/C isn't working at a long light and the car is HOT! I do a lot of city driving, so it's definitely noticeable.

I do think it's smart when other brands allow you to turn on and off certain features at the owner's choosing. By the way, I often look at the comments on Chevrolet's Facebook page and this is the most noted issue where owners would like the option of NOT having it engaged.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
See that's where you"re wrong. We've been in the upper 90s with high humidity for the last 3+ weeks now and the A/C doesn't turn off when it's running full bore. Now it will sometime shutoff when it's cool in the car. Haven't sat long enough for the car to heat up to where we were uncomfortable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Researched the 2019 NOX and then researched how to turn off the auto stop start. I'm just too old to think having my car turn off at stop lights is a good idea. Bought a 2019 NOX and then the relay to disable it. The best $140.00 option I ever put on a car.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Doubt it. If they decide to implement one, it probably won't make its debut until mid-cycle refresh like 2021-22. They have some spy shots floating around with a revised front-end etc.
Don't give up hope, maybe the Nox/Terrain will do like the 2020 Blazer.
There will be a switch to disable the Stop/Start on all three engines in the 2020 Blazer lineup.
See link below.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/2020-chevrolet-blazer-the-complete-engine-lineup/
Great, but I didn’t see *how* this switch will be implemented. Want it to be a menu setting, but it’ll probably be the annoying “push the button every time you start the vehicle” method...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Great, but I didn’t see *how* this switch will be implemented. Want it to be a menu setting, but it’ll probably be the annoying “push the button every time you start the vehicle” method...
I agree that the menu setting would be better, we'll have to see how it wired when the 20's come out.
You could make it part of your pre-flight routine.
Seat belt..check, sun glasses..check, S/S switch..check.

Shouldn't be too tough to run a 5-volt reference wire or ground where necessary to bypass the switch.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I agree that the menu setting would be better, we'll have to see how it wired when the 20's come out.

Shouldn't be too tough to run a 5-volt reference wire or ground where necessary to bypass the switch.
Unless they program the ECM to look for a pulse ... and only after some period of time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I wish GM never put this stupid stop start feature in the car but the fix is so easy.

In my last ten cars I needed to shift gears numerous time when driving. With this car I only need to do in once or (twice in a trip if the start stop kicks in). I am finding almost automatic to shift into 9th with this car every time I get in.

Now if I could just find something for left foot to do. :)

·
Registered
5,380 Posts

A simple 555 timer circuit with a small low current relay could parallel the switch. Powered by a circuit (ignition ?) in the vehicle after the vehicle is started. The 555 could be R/C timed to close the relay a second or two after the vehicle is started?
One possibility.

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
73 Posts
A simple 555 timer circuit with a small low current relay could parallel the switch. Powered by a circuit (ignition ?) in the vehicle after the vehicle is started. The 555 could be R/C timed to close the relay a second or two after the vehicle is started?
One possibility.
No need to build anything, google "inching relay". Cheap and easy. Lots of folks doing home automation with those like garage door openers. You won't need the WiFi one but adjustable delay and press time would be nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 2020 Nox and can tell there is no disable feature provided. I just throw it into neutral for stop signs or quick stop and go. I let it do its thing if I catch a red light or I'm in stopped traffic. The start up response is very fast and smooth. I cannot even get my foot back to the gas pedal from brake without the car already running.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Go online to the Chevrolet dealer of your choice and pull up a 2020 Blazer either on the lot or "In Transit".
Click on a window sticker.
Look on the page under Standard Equipment, then Mechanical.
It lists the Stop/Start deactivate switch mounted on the center console for the ignition cycle.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts