GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into possibly buying an equinox or terrain. Not many v6 around here in our price range (looking at 15-17)
So we've been looking at the 2.4, which there are plenty of good deals.

I've read horror stories about oil consumption and main seals blowing.

Are these issues present in the 15-17 years? Last thing we want is to buy a vehicle just to have major problems. So honestly,what are the issues with these years?

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
By 2015, both engines were very good performers. Do some searches on the Internet, including this Forum, and you will see.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Looking into possibly buying an equinox or terrain. Not many v6 around here in our price range (looking at 15-17)
So we've been looking at the 2.4, which there are plenty of good deals.

I've read horror stories about oil consumption and main seals blowing.

Are these issues present in the 15-17 years? Last thing we want is to buy a vehicle just to have major problems. So honestly,what are the issues with these years?

Yes . . problems with ANT 2.4L GM engine 2010 to 2017 from oil consumption to frozen PCV issues.

Here is just one recent post. . search for more using the Search Box

My ex-wife’s 2015 2.4 was tested for oil consumption and qualified for the oil consumption repairs (pistons, rings, timing chain, etc). Part of that procedure for the 2010-2013 vintage (but her 2015 ended up getting covered after the dealership fought with GM), is to use a 1/16” drill bit to clear the intake PCV orifice so the PCV system properly vents. GM clearly recognizes/acknowledges this issue and even adds this procedure to the bulletin for oil consumption-approved vehicles. I also installed the FC219 vented cap. I also replaced the PCV tube a time or two (it can be easily cleaned out without replacing it but it was under $10 so I just replaced it). I cleared the lines a few times a year myself as a PM. If it weren’t for all of that, her 2015 probably would have likely blown a rear main seal by now leaving her and the kids stranded.. I worry this could still happen, b/c I’m no longer around to do the “PCV PMs” and clear the lines in the winter.

For those who haven’t yet had a blown seal, if you’re noticing the oil consumption, winter gunk, etc, see if you’d qualify for coverage under the bulletin or GM approval if you pass the consumption test (they check oil levels over the span of a few thousand miles and if it’s below a certain level, then coverage should apply)..

View attachment 15113

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've searched all day and the first 2 replies are why I'm asking... first guy says good to go, 2nd guy says hold up lol

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
It is your call, and your money. Good luck.
No one here can guarantee what problems you may have in the future.
I can guarantee that if you get the V-6, you won't have the piston/ring oil consumption , rear main problems.

And the V-6's can be found, you have to look.
A search on Autotrader.com shows four 2015-2017 V-6's in my area.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Pay $1500 more for the 6 cylinder.... you will not regret it.
Regardless you need to check dipstick for oil consumption..... and you can add a catch can to the 6 cylinder...

·
Registered
8 Posts
We managed to find a real nice '16 Equinox LTZ with the reliable but thirsty 3.6 for around 18K. Only had 45k miles when we bought it and it's loaded. Wife's car and she loves it. Had to take it in for the steering shudder at low RPM (think parking space steering) but it was done under warranty since there is a TSB on it.

I just feel that a 4 cylinder doesn't have enough power for this heavy vehicle and I really don't like turbo chargers or super chargers on them. Long time ago when I was in Tech school our instructor told us it was like pounding on the tops of the pistons with a hammer when kicking it in so they don't live as long as normally aspirated engines.

Spend the extra $ and go for the V-6. Be warned, they do like gas. Around town, my Camaro SS gets better gas mileage. Long distance Hi-way driving is much better though.

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Havent found anything within any reasonable distance in a 6 cyl.

Just bought 16 acres of hunting property so trying not to go over budget haha.

Ive found some 17s in our price range with lower miles but all have the 2.4... started searching for kia sorento, but it seems their 2.4 has it's fair share of issues as well

·
Registered
554 Posts
6 cyl. only. Only way I'd have a 2.4 was if it was free. 3.6 is good on gas, 10 mpg better than my Tahoe and in my driving area the 3.6 is right with my '15 Malibu w/2.5 motor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've read on timing chain issues with the 3.6... what years were those issues resolved? And issues 15 or later?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Reactions: Zheng Serra

·
Registered
4 Posts
V-6 gets only slightly less gas mileage than the 4

Here in the midwest, the dealers had a hard time getting rid of the V-6's. Got mine at a good price. Everyone THINKS the 4 cyl gets better mileage. My neighbor has the same 2015 Terrain as I, but with a 4 cyl.. Hiway I get 25, he gets 26-27, around town I get 19 average, he gets 19 average. Time to get on the highway towing my trailer, goes at 70 all day, his is downshifting and working hard.
Go for the 6

·
Registered
38 Posts
You will not regret getting the v6. Out of the many vehicles I have had over the years this 2016 v6 Terrain is my favorite. Power reliability and just plain strong. Have had turbocharged Audi 5 cylinder motors but their normally aspirated motors are far stronger.
Love the GMC v6!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a V6 2015 Terrain. Just like any car, stay on top of maintenance. I chose it because it was a lot more responsive in power than the same year V4 that I had test driven. Shout out to Frank's GMC in NJ that let me FULLY test out the car!

·
Registered
191 Posts
We have the 2.4 in out 2017 SLE and I only thought about it as a grocery vehicle. Forget the gas mileage thoughts too little to worry about, buy the v6 and enjoy the complete package.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts