GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just purchased a 2011 Equinox LT1 with the standard stereo system. I don't think the sound quality is very good. Seems to be the worst on XM, amptitude is lacking. This is disappointing because previous Chevy's with the standard package have always had good stereo quality.

I've experimented with the tone and equalizer settings with little success.

Two questions: 1) Is this a six speaker system? 2) Has anyone changed out any speakers to improve quality, and did it improve??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
denret said:
I've just purchased a 2011 Equinox LT1 with the standard stereo system. I don't think the sound quality is very good. Seems to be the worst on XM, amptitude is lacking. This is disappointing because previous Chevy's with the standard package have always had good stereo quality.

I've experimented with the tone and equalizer settings with little success.

Two questions: 1) Is this a six speaker system? 2) Has anyone changed out any speakers to improve quality, and did it improve??
I can't comment on the standard stereo in the Nox because we got the Pioneer system and it sounds awesome. It's seven speakers plus the sub. As far as I understood the sub output is lacking in the standard set up so I think it's six. Also the speakers aren't made by Pioneer. I will admit that input plays a big role too. The standard radio signal sounds a little weak but the iPod as a source sounds excellent.

Your previous experience with good standard sound systems in GM's isn't always the norm. Our '99 Transsport had awful sound, whereas my '00 Malibu has very good sound for a standard Delco unit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,828 Posts
denret said:
I've experimented with the tone and equalizer settings with little success.

Two questions: 1) Is this a six speaker system? Yes[/color]

2) Has anyone changed out any speakers to improve quality, and did it improve?? Yes...



http://www.terrainforum.net/index.p...try additional searches for more info.[/color
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
978 Posts
denret said:
1) Is this a six speaker system?
Yes...1 Tweeter in each of the "A" Pillars / 1 in each front door / 1 in each rear door

denret said:
2) Has anyone changed out any speakers to improve quality, and did it improve??
Yes...and this link is only one of a few...
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2050.msg24913#msg24913

and here is a link (which is just a post in the same thread...of how to access them...
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=2050.msg31133#msg31133

For additional threads...just type the word "speaker" in the following search link and you be taken to other threads to choose from...
http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?action=search
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
I have a 2010 LT1 and I must say I am very disappointed with the sound quality. My 2002 LTZ Trailblazer puts this vehicle to shame. My main concerns arise from all the rattles in the door panels and the fact the speakers don’t appear to be able to handle more than a volume setting of 16 with the EQ set at Rock while listening to classic rock XM stations. This should hardly be pushing the stereo and I am not looking for a loud thumping system, but I should be able to listen to music at the settings listed above without rattles or speaker distortion.

Do I possibly have an issue with my stereo/speakers or do others have the same symptoms? Other than the stereo problems the vehicle is great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
162 Posts
XM sound quality is terrible. Compression artifacts galore, and small dynamic range. Thats just the way the XM signal is. Same for any stereo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
Nutz1 said:
XM sound quality is terrible. Compression artifacts galore, and small dynamic range. Thats just the way the XM signal is. Same for any stereo.
I agree that the XM source suffers from signal compression loss. All transmitted radio signals tend to lack the dynamic range of a direct connected digital source. For comparison try the FM to AM source sound quality difference. It may be for a slightly different reason but you'll hear how poor AM is as a quality sound source for music.

The source feeding any sound system will ultimately affect the sound output. So try a CD or high quality MP3 input to compare. It may not get anywhere as good as the premium Pioneer system but will probably sound very good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Thank you for your replies in regards to the XM issue which I didn’t know about.

What about the vibrations either from the door panels or speakers themselves. Again volume around 14-16 with Rock EQ setting which only has the base at 6 out of 12 and vibrations in the door panels. The vibration is coming from both the rear speakers.

Note nothing is in the doors vibrating so I am wondering if I have quality issues with speakers, wiring, or door panel installation. I am hoping GM didn’t install such poor quality speakers that aren’t even rated for the radio in such a nice all around vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
greens14 said:
Thank you for your replies in regards to the XM issue which I didn’t know about.

What about the vibrations either from the door panels or speakers themselves. Again volume around 14-16 with Rock EQ setting which only has the base at 6 out of 12 and vibrations in the door panels. The vibration is coming from both the rear speakers.

Note nothing is in the doors vibrating so I am wondering if I have quality issues with speakers, wiring, or door panel installation. I am hoping GM didn’t install such poor quality speakers that aren’t even rated for the radio in such a nice all around vehicle.

This tells me that you are pushing the limits of the speakers in your car. Replace them with better ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Nodes, that doesn’t really answer my question. I am looking to see if others are having the same symptoms to confirm if I have quality or workmanship issues with my Nox.

The radio settings I describe are hardly such that the speakers should be getting overmatched as you can have a casual conversation at volume 14. That and a volume setting of 14 is about 35% of the max volume.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
332 Posts
greens14 said:
Nodes, that doesn’t really answer my question. I am looking to see if others are having the same symptoms to confirm if I have quality or workmanship issues with my Nox.

The radio settings I describe are hardly such that the speakers should be getting overmatched as you can have a casual conversation at volume 14. That and a volume setting of 14 is about 35% of the max volume.
If you are experiencing the unwanted vibrations you describe then I would suspect the speakers rather than the door panels. I quite sure the panels are the same for all Equinox's even with the Pioneer system, even if the grills are marked "Pioneer".

I can achieve staggering volume levels without distortion or unwanted vibrations. One caveat of the standard system verses the Pioneer system is that the Pioneer system uses the subwoofer and the digital signal processor would not need send as low a frequencies to the other speakers. Therefore the door speakers would probably not experience as much cone excursion or deformation as perhaps in the standard system. The standard system is demanding quite a bit more out of the door speakers and they are probably of a lower quality.

You may want to upgrade the speakers if you feel the need.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
greens14 said:
Nodes, that doesn’t really answer my question. I am looking to see if others are having the same symptoms to confirm if I have quality or workmanship issues with my Nox.

The radio settings I describe are hardly such that the speakers should be getting overmatched as you can have a casual conversation at volume 14. That and a volume setting of 14 is about 35% of the max volume.

A quick way to get your answer...visit the dealer and test one of their vehicles with the base radio and compare

With sound it depends on the person, one might not notice a difference in how the base radio plays and thinks its normal...best way is for you to test another car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
The sound in my '11 nox is pretty stellar to me, Standard Sound System.

Crisp High's and Punchy Lows, I listen to EDM/Dub/House/Rock/Metal, Mainly electronic music, With the Volume at about 20, EQ set at Custom, High's 3, Mid 1, Low/Bass 6, Using my iPod, Set at Max Volume through AUX Input on the Electronic EQ setting on the iPod, Render's my Rearview Mirror Obsolete (Vibrates heavily on certain Bass Notes). If set at Volume 24+, Bass begins to clip out.

I enjoy listening to music in my car more than I do at home with my Nice Sony MDR-V6's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
KillerDragn said:
The sound in my '11 nox is pretty stellar to me, Standard Sound System.

Crisp High's and Punchy Lows, I listen to EDM/Dub/House/Rock/Metal, Mainly electronic music, With the Volume at about 20, EQ set at Custom, High's 3, Mid 1, Low/Bass 6, Using my iPod, Set at Max Volume through AUX Input on the Electronic EQ setting on the iPod, Render's my Rearview Mirror Obsolete (Vibrates heavily on certain Bass Notes). If set at Volume 24+, Bass begins to clip out.

I enjoy listening to music in my car more than I do at home with my Nice Sony MDR-V6's.

Are you sure yours is not the Premium Pioneer?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
NODES said:
Are you sure yours is not the Premium Pioneer?
I'm pretty sure its not. I bought the Lowest End Equinox, Just... Equinox, Not LT or LTZ, FWD 4-Cyl. Pretty much bone basic.

I'll go fish for the Window Sticker from the dealer in the glovebox tomorrow and check.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top