GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if you can swap an SLE-1 steering wheel (rubber, no audio controls) out with the OEM SLE-2/SLT steering wheel (leather with audio controls)? Are the wires already wired for the audio controls so its just plug-and-play to swap out the steering wheel, and is the SLE-1 stereo the same as the upper models, less navi? If so/not anyone have any idea of the cost to do so either way? I love my terrain but I have an aversion to rubber steering wheels. I want the leather one, and it would be nice to have the audio controls.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Well, it has been done... my Hubby changed out the wheel on the Custom Supercharged Solstice to the leather wrapped with Audio controls, as the wiring into the steering column was prewired from factory for this. So it was a simple plug and play.

To verify, you would just need to remove the center airbag/horn portion from the wheel and check for any extra wiring harness plugs in behind the back of the steering wheel plate.

Do not unplug the airbag!! There is a specific procedure for that for the obvious reasons.

You can purchase just the leather wrapped wheel from GM or other without the Airbag/color]

·
Registered
2 Posts
I actually just asked the same question for the same exact reason. I see this was a while ago. Were you able to finally do it since I'm in the process myself of figuring it out? Would be great help. I, as you were, am looking to upgrade to the leather steering wheel with audio controls on the right. Hope all is well with you and you can give me good news!! :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts