GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that at high speeds 60+ when you're going straight, and you got to make a slight turn in the road, or change lanes, it feels like the the steering wheel is "stuck" for a second thing gives and becomes loose again? I have a 2010 Terrain SLE, and I'm not sure if it has something to do with the steering tightening up at high way speed or an issue with the steering that needs to be addressed. Its just a slight stick, I'm not sure...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Do you have an I4 or V6?
Sounds like the steering gear rack may be sticking.
I'm sure it's rack and pinion steering in both the electric and hydraulic versions (I4 or V6 configuration).
Speed should have nothing to do with it.
In the past, we've had cars that had the steering wheel rack replaced due to sticking.
Take me to your dealer!
8)
For sure!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a 4-cyl eco

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
agbq06 said:
Its a 4-cyl eco
So you have electric steering.
I believe it still a rack and pinion configuration.
Definitely bring it to your dealer and let a Service Tech take it for a ride, with you riding shotgun.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so maybe I'm just a little skeptical, but is this Chevrolet Customer Svc. the real deal? I have two major concerns, one I realize GMC and Chevy are both owned by the same parent company, but why is a Chevy Customer Svc Rep contacting me and not GMC, they are separate brands. And does anyone know if GM representatives actually do patrol this site, and they are legitimate?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No offence Tricia, if you are the real deal.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yes it's real
Yes they monitor
No it doesn't matter...GMC...CHEVY
Customer satifaction and dealer contact assistance is their goal

·
Registered
49 Posts
Has anyone here been sitting at a red light and once it turn green you really give the car some gas and the steering wheel goes from 12 oclock to about 4 oclock soon as the car starts moving?? Whats that all about?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
WD80PD said:
Has anyone here been sitting at a red light and once it turn green you really give the car some gas and the steering wheel goes from 12 oclock to about 4 oclock soon as the car starts moving?? Whats that all about?
TQ steer. Just a thing with FWD cars.

As far as it sticking, I know that the faster you go the harder the wheel gets to turn for the I4. If its sticking, not turning smoothly, your electric motor might need a reprogramming.

·
Registered
482 Posts
WD80PD said:
It's called Torgue Steer. Very common with front wheel drive.

·
Registered
8 Posts
agbq06 ,

I have noticed this same feeling on my 2011 Terrain. I have felt it for a few months now, but I always wondered if it was just in my head, or maybe from the deer that I hit going 75 back in November in western PA. Anyways, I definitely would describe the "sticking" feeling exactly how you described at similar speeds. Please keep us updated with your findings if you do take it into the dealership.

buckeye

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife was complaining about this also, so I drove it the other day, and it does stick pretty good, especially when driving at higher speeds and trying to turn to the right. Will be trying to get to dealer, when we have time, not sure when that will be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just noticed this a few weeks back also. I thought I was nuts but i guess not. Has anybody taken their car to the dealer for this? What have they done about it?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
agbq06 said:
Ok so maybe I'm just a little skeptical, but is this Chevrolet Customer Svc. the real deal? I have two major concerns, one I realize GMC and Chevy are both owned by the same parent company, but why is a Chevy Customer Svc Rep contacting me and not GMC, they are separate brands. And does anyone know if GM representatives actually do patrol this site, and they are legitimate?
It's legit or the owner/admin of this site would have booted her long ago. Also, you answered your own question about Chevy/GMC being under the same parent company...not to mention that the Equinox/Terrain are identical under the skin and are built in the same plant.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Took mine in and they didnt even drive it, there must be a TSB on this, as they ordered a new new steering gear motor. They are installing it today, hopefuly it solves it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK, sorry guys I haven't really been monitoring my own thread, but I can say that those problems were when my Terrain was still low miles. But I put some miles on my cars and I'm crossing 9,500 now and it has disappeared. That service person has tried to contact me a few times, and I feel bad not responding, but I work 730-6 and no service dept is open so it never made it to the dealer(my dealer in town since I didn't buy it there they're over priced, doesnt have a loaner program) It just stopped on its own. I wonder if it had anything to do with being new?! Either way, if you guys are having my problem and it is new under 2K miles, I'd say give it a thousand miles or so (yes that sounds like a lot) but mine just quit doing it. Theres no better way of saying I'm not sure WTF was going on, but it quit.

·
Registered
45 Posts
mine didnt start until 15-20K it was replaced at 27K miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just got back from trip to s.c. put over 2000 miles on my 2010 i4 terrian had the same sticking at speeds over 60 i plan on calling my dealer this week but dont have much faith in there service dept please keep us posted on any fixs for this problem Lily

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
lilly said:
just got back from trip to s.c. put over 2000 miles on my 2010 i4 terrian had the same sticking at speeds over 60 i plan on calling my dealer this week but dont have much faith in there service dept please keep us posted on any fixs for this problem Lily
You do have the option of trying another dealership in your area. I can locate one for you if you would like. I can also look into this for you. In order to do more research, I will need the VIN for the vehicle and the current mileage. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts