GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 LT1 I4, it was built in Nov 2010 it has 22,500 miles on it. I just started getting the start up rattle, it happens once every 1 to 2 weeks. I have also noticed a MPG drop, my usually MPG for my work week was 24 to 25MPG on the DIC, it is now 23 to 24MPG and some times 22MPG. I am chalking it up to the cold winter weather (I live in Ohio). I have been checking my oil and I did an oil change 2 weeks ago, I did not notice any fuel in the oil (no smell). Next oil change I will request a oil test kit and have my oil tested.

I guess my question is when you have the start up rattle is that related to the HP fuel pump issue or are they totally separate.

My truck runs fine, I have no check engine light on.

Thanks
Phil

·
Registered
368 Posts
Phil, from watching the data on this forum: I haven't seen anything conclusive that would link (or refute) the reports of fuel detection in oil to the startup noise and related issues. Maybe someone else can chime in on this.

The data do suggest, however, that the occasional startup noise that you report progresses over time to become chronic (at which point a more dramatic drop in mpg is reported); to driveability issues and/or check engine light; to stalling at low speed; to stalling at speed. Given that you just changed the oil, it is likely that the noise may not occur for a couple thousand miles. However, absent corrective work, it most likely will recur after 2500 to 4000 miles based on experience and the data posted here.

Like many of us, your LT's build date is outside the formally acknowledged range for recall 11195. If you can find a dealer who is on top of this issue (and there are some), the good news is that there are successes being reported in dealing with the noise and related symptoms.

Good luck... see the Issues and Noisy Startup threads for more information. They've both got huge numbers of views so they are easy to spot.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Phil,

I also do not have any information that these are related. I would recommend keeping eye on your concern. Please feel free to contact your dealer if it gets worse. I can also look into this for you with the last eight of your VIN. Contact me via private message for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
On this Site, Tdog has this issue covered..

My 2012 I4 had 28k on it when I traded it in because of the rattling startup..

I dont think fuel in oil is related either..I had the startup rattle, right after oil/filter changes..

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have about 9000 miles on my 2011 have experienced the engine rattle...anyhow I guess that's what it was, it sounded like a loose rod did in the older cars. It has happened a couple of times lasting for maybe a second or two, usually after the car hasn't been driven for four or five days and with the temperatures in the 20s or low 30s. So far I haven't had any engine trouble lights, stalls, or rough engine idle. The chance of getting it to do it for the dealer would probably be pretty slim, so what does a person do, wait and see if it gets worse or mention it to the dealer and request that he enter it in my maintence records so there is a record of me complaining about it?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I would take it to the dealer...If you have a good service department, he will hopefully check into the Tech bulletins..

If it's like my vehicle, the rattling startup will get more frequent.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Phil, your situation sounds somewhat similar to mine. Our 2011 Terrain with a build date of 09/10 and 21,500 miles has just recently had a startup rattle. It occurred in the morning of the day after I had the oil and filter changed. I've listened for it on 2 more startup occasions since and it hasn't made the noise. No engine check light.

However, our Terrain has not had a drop in fuel mileage and gets about 28 mpg highway and 23 combined as measured by the DIC. I checked the oil dipstick for a gasoline odor before having the oil changed and I didn't notice anything unusual.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Don B said:
I have about 9000 miles on my 2011 have experienced the engine rattle...anyhow I guess that's what it was, it sounded like a loose rod did in the older cars. It has happened a couple of times lasting for maybe a second or two, usually after the car hasn't been driven for four or five days and with the temperatures in the 20s or low 30s. So far I haven't had any engine trouble lights, stalls, or rough engine idle. The chance of getting it to do it for the dealer would probably be pretty slim, so what does a person do, wait and see if it gets worse or mention it to the dealer and request that he enter it in my maintence records so there is a record of me complaining about it?
This is a follow up on the above post. I thought that recall 11195A covered build dates from 9/2010 to 6/2011 so I called and spoke to the assistant service manager. He pulled my VIN up and said my VIN wasn't covered under that recall but called me back later and said mine was covered under PI0562B, which I haven't looked up yet, and that when I was ready to bring it in to call and make sure they had the parts in stock and they would reprogram it and replace the old parts.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I just looked up the PI0562B bulletin and it gave the following explanation why the rattle occurs.

Condition/Concern
Some customer may comment on a loud rattle noise when the vehicle is first
started up. The noise will last for 3 seconds or less then stop. The noise may
be intermittent in most cases, but the frequency of occurrence increases with
time. The noise is more likely to occur after an extended or overnight soak.
The prior engine shut down did not allow oil pressure to the camshaft position
actuator long enough to lock it in the start up position for the next start up.
The noise that is heard is the internal section of the camshaft position
actuator moving from one end of its range of motion to the other end. The noise
stops when the camshaft position actuator is refilled with oil in 3 seconds or
less.

I guess I'm the curious type, is there anyone on the forum that has the expertise to explain what happens in that area of the engine when you shut the engine off? Even though they are replacing the camshaft position actuators the explanation sounds like there is something else involved that is preventing the actuators from doing their job.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Don, I'm not the right person to answer your question asking for details about what happens inside the engine; but there is information that's been widely posted here regarding the VIN range for recall 11195. Basically, the data show that the official recall range is too narrow. It's important to know what updates have been applied or need to be applied to your vehicle's ECM. There is one update in particular, to the effect of revert frequency to 150Hz for durability concerns, and it's important to know whether this needs to be applied or was applied at some point after the vehicle was driven. The posts I recall indicate that the ECM, absent this update, causes damage to the solenoids at somewhere around 100 or 250 miles (I recall seeing both figures). So even if your vehicle is outside the recall range, if ECM updates and particularly this update, have been or are to be applied, then the solenoids also need to be replaced. As specified by bulletin 562, this needs to be done before the actuators themselves are replaced. Hope this helps, and good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts