GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 gmc terrain 2.4L slt and I replaced the intake and exhaust solenoids and also camshaft sensors. My car is still stalling a little but drives better and the check engine light is still on. I have 130532 miles on it. Biggs told me I needed a timing changes but another mechanic told me it was the solenoids....I need help please can someone help me...

· Registered
81 Posts
My 2014 2.4 Terrain used to stall every start, warm or cold and even after long drives, I replaced almost all top items that cause stalling, vvts, throttle body, spark plugs, maf, ran a bunch of fuel system cleaner, nothing helped. Seen a guy say to add 6-8oz of oil thickener, like Lucas engine protectant or stp. I used Bardahl no smoke, stall stopped for 11 months, then I changed oil and stall came back, added the oil thickener and stall stopped again. Not sure why it worked, nobody has been able to come up with good reason.

· Registered
81 Posts
66k, I bought it at around 40k a couple years ago. Used car dealer had reset computer, so was running fine, I usually will stay away if was reset, but bought it for just under $7,000 and was good deal. After few days stalled, then over month stalled every start, warmed up or cold. Threw parts at issue, installed myself, tb, maf, air filter, plugs, vvt solenoids(both), ran fuel cleaner etc. No change, then seen guy on YouTube say he accidentally added bardahl no smoke(oil thickener) his stall stopped. A year ago after seeing video, I put 6 Oz of no smoke in, my Terrain never stalled again after that. About 2 weeks ago changed oil 5w30 like recommended, stalled every start, so added no smoke again and stopped stall. Is odd, nobody know why it helps. I can't even really diagnose it now unless I drain oil to remove the no smoke. So looking for possible solutions to try before. Maybe weak oil pump? Dunno. If the no smoke, or probably any like stp or Lucas in is with the oil the Terrain runs perfect. I average 22mpg, pcv line is dry, uses very little oil, maybe 1/2 quart in 3500 miles. Zero tick or odd sounds at cold start. I have worked on cars my whole life and modded every v8 car I ever owned, ls1s, ls3s, Hemi's etc. Has me stumped. This is guy who said it worked for him and does work for whatever reason.

· Super Moderator
1,740 Posts
I would venture to say the camshaft VVT sprocket aren't getting enough oil but enough, so cam sensors are seeing some movement but not enough to trigger a code. That's the only thing I can think of that oil could affect.
Did you use GM actuator solenoids? Aftermarket anything is not reliable and could affect oil pressure to the cam phasers.
I would try a 10-30w oil since the thickeners work, even a 10-40w oil, it will not hurt anything.

· Registered
81 Posts
Stall on mine was with oem and aftermarket vvt solenoids, I bought some camshaft pos sensors, but have not installed since stall stopped. Others removed intake manifold and cleaned, also replaced vvts, maf, camshaft positioning sensors, plugs, 02s, etc and still stalled. Has to be something to do with oils viscosity, maybe weak oil pump when first starting or? Has me stumped, the vvt not getting enough oil sounds like could be reason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts