GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Stabilitrak Error Message

202K views 55 replies 31 participants last post by  JMARTIN 
#1 ·
This morning after starting my 2010 Terrain I noticed it was idling very rough.
Then the check engine light came on and there was a display that send "Service Stabilitrak"
I backed out of the garage and put the car in park.
I turned off the stabilitrak but the message and rough idle continued.
I then shutoff the engine and then restarted it.
I turned the stabilitrak back on and everything was fine.
I've driven it several times today w/o any further issues.
I have a 2010, 4 cyl. with 8850 miles.
Anyone have any insight?
:help:
Thanks

Follow-up.
My son brought over his code reader on 03/18/12 and guess what?
There was no diagnostic code stored.
Guess it was just a strange anomaly.
::)

#3 ·
The error message that appears is a normal condition due to a ''Check Engine'' light on. When the check engine light appears, vehicle shut the ABS and Stabilitrak off, its a normal protective condition to ensure not to damage any further systems while check engine is ''on''. Notice that you're remote starter (if factory equipped ) won't work as long as check engine is not fixed.

Grenier Chevrolet Buick GMC, Terrebonne, Quebec.

#5 ·
Terra-Nox said:
I have a vague recollection of seeing this posted somewhere quite a while ago. If memory serves it was on a 2010 4cyl and may have been an issue with High Pressure Fuel Pump. Might have been a TSB for it also/
I was thinking of a steering sensor problem that didn't allow the computer to know which direction you were trying to steer. But, my memory is foggy !

#7 ·
I just posted this information in the other thread, but I had the same symptoms. Rough idle, stabilitrak & engine warning lights on. Took it in to dealer (2011 Terrain SLT with 60K km) and they found fuel in the oil. Seems OK now, but I'm wondering what effects a crankcase full of fuel/oil mixture will have.

#8 ·
Very sorry to hear you were experiencing this, jfindlay. I'm glad your dealership's resolution is currently working for you, and I'm sure knowledgeable forum regulars will be chiming in with feedback (on this thread and the other!). Please feel free to private message me anytime and I can investigate any concerns on your behalf.

Best,

Katie, GM Customer Service
(Filling in for Tricia while she is away for a short time)

#9 ·
GrenierChevyTerrebonne said:
The error message that appears is a normal condition due to a ''Check Engine'' light on. When the check engine light appears, vehicle shut the ABS and Stabilitrak off, its a normal protective condition to ensure not to damage any further systems while check engine is ''on''. Notice that you're remote starter (if factory equipped ) won't work as long as check engine is not fixed.

Grenier Chevrolet Buick GMC, Terrebonne, Quebec.
The car goes into limp/safe mode. Gives you enough power to get to safety but not prolonged use.

#10 ·
I have less than 4000 miles on a 2012 and same issue -- stabilitrak service light comes on after about 45 minutes of driving. Twice to the dealer, first time they said they had to do a "relearn" on the computer, second time they said they missed the second module and had to do a "relearn" on it -- before I got home I got the service message again. They are now getting together a loaner and will take the car in and keep it until they fix it -- that will be the third attempt. Reading these posts on this forum I am not happy in the least. I am not sure I even want this car anymore and certainly would not have purchased it if I had any idea I would be back at the dealer so soon. If I can get the lemon law to apply, this car is out of my life. Other than that minor detail, I like the car but I will not tolerate repetitive service issues. I always drove Nissans before and NEVER had to do anything but regular wear and tear maintenance. Back to Nissan either now or later....very unhappy at this end especially when I read about others with this error and worse symptoms.

#11 ·
Texas_Trader said:
I have less than 4000 miles on a 2012 and same issue -- stabilitrak service light comes on after about 45 minutes of driving. Twice to the dealer, first time they said they had to do a "relearn" on the computer, second time they said they missed the second module and had to do a "relearn" on it -- before I got home I got the service message again. They are now getting together a loaner and will take the car in and keep it until they fix it -- that will be the third attempt. Reading these posts on this forum I am not happy in the least. I am not sure I even want this car anymore and certainly would not have purchased it if I had any idea I would be back at the dealer so soon. If I can get the lemon law to apply, this car is out of my life. Other than that minor detail, I like the car but I will not tolerate repetitive service issues. I always drove Nissans before and NEVER had to do anything but regular wear and tear maintenance. Back to Nissan either now or later....very unhappy at this end especially when I read about others with this error and worse symptoms.
I am sorry to hear about your frustration. Please feel free to contact me with more information and I will be able to look into this further. Did you ever contact customer assistance? Send me a private message with the last eight of your VIN and your dealer name for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

#12 ·
Ughhh.. My 2012 3.0 V6 SLT Terrain just did this to me about an hour ago. I have < 5,000 miles on it and was driving along at about 25-30 mph in traffic when I heard a clunk and RPMs went to 3k and wouldn't let me go faster than 25mph.. It wouldn't shift either.

I finally got it to shift by letting off the gas then tapping it so I could at least get up to 45mph and not be a nuisance to traffic behind me. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. When I got there they had another Terrain all ready for me to drive out (which was incredibly nice).

I really hope I don't have the problems that some of you have had. We will see.

Prior to this happening, and since receiving the vehicle in October 2012, I have noticed rough idle, rough shift from 2nd-3rd, and just some strange things when slowing down to take a turn then pressing the gas [vehicle seemed to hesitate]. I guess one thing at a time with the dealership. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the E-85 that I put in it from Kroger these last two fill-ups...

Wish me luck. :-/

#13 ·
gwolanin said:
Ughhh.. My 2012 3.0 V6 SLT Terrain just did this to me about an hour ago. I have < 5,000 miles on it and was driving along at about 25-30 mph in traffic when I heard a clunk and RPMs went to 3k and wouldn't let me go faster than 25mph.. It wouldn't shift either.

I finally got it to shift by letting off the gas then tapping it so I could at least get up to 45mph and not be a nuisance to traffic behind me. Called the dealer and they told me to bring it in. When I got there they had another Terrain all ready for me to drive out (which was incredibly nice).

I really hope I don't have the problems that some of you have had. We will see.

Prior to this happening, and since receiving the vehicle in October 2012, I have noticed rough idle, rough shift from 2nd-3rd, and just some strange things when slowing down to take a turn then pressing the gas [vehicle seemed to hesitate]. I guess one thing at a time with the dealership. I am wondering if it has anything to do with the E-85 that I put in it from Kroger these last two fill-ups...

Wish me luck. :-/
Hi there,

Please keep us updated on the status of your vehicle. Hoping the dealer can get this resolved for you!

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

#15 ·
GM Customer Svc said:
Hi there,

Please keep us updated on the status of your vehicle. Hoping the dealer can get this resolved for you!

Amber N.
GM Customer Care
Amber -- Thanks for the request!

The dealership called me this morning, they were able to recover a code from the vehicle but the data that triggered that code was not saved.

I received a call Friday afternoon stating that they were not able to re-create the problem and that the vehicle was running perfectly fine. Shifting wasn't a problem and operation was normal. I am concerned that the freeze-frame data or cause for the code was not saved, could this be a software glitch? This is not what I expected to hear...

I should have more info when I get the actual results when I get my vehicle in an hr.

----EDIT----

Update. Received service invoice

miles in 5043

Found Code P228C ran diag could not duplicate problem fuel PSI at spec raises to spec test drove on highway did not duplicate condition found no bull on condition test drive numerous time, could not duplicate concern. miles out 5067

#16 ·
gwolanin said:
Amber -- Thanks for the request!

The dealership called me this morning, they were able to recover a code from the vehicle but the data that triggered that code was not saved.

I received a call Friday afternoon stating that they were not able to re-create the problem and that the vehicle was running perfectly fine. Shifting wasn't a problem and operation was normal. I am concerned that the freeze-frame data or cause for the code was not saved, could this be a software glitch? This is not what I expected to hear...

I should have more info when I get the actual results when I get my vehicle in an hr.

----EDIT----

Update. Received service invoice

miles in 5043

Found Code P228C ran diag could not duplicate problem fuel PSI at spec raises to spec test drove on highway did not duplicate condition found no bull on condition test drive numerous time, could not duplicate concern. miles out 5067
Thanks for getting back to me. I can not tell you whether or not it is a software glitch. The dealer is the best source for determining what is wrong with your vehicle. Please continue to work with them, and if you have any further concerns feel free to reach back out to us. If you private message me your full name, VIN, and address I can document your vehicle issue on file for future reference.

Amber N.
GM Customer Care

#17 ·
I was just about to start a new topic on this when I saw this one. I have a '10 Equinox, LT with 37,000. AWD, V6. During my morning commute the same thing happened to me: check engine light came on, Service Stabilitrak message came on the DIC, and it began idling roughly. I made it to work fine and have not had this problem again.

So is this a software glitch or a sign of impending failure?

#18 ·
My folks have a 2010 SRX and I had to move it out of their driveway while they were vacation and this same exact issue happened to me. I started it and it had a rough idle, service stabilitrak message and check engine light came on simultaneously. I drove it around for a few minutes and both stayed on for the entire duration. I started it again the next day and everything was fine. I got it to happen one more time a few days later but only briefly. I told them about it when they got back and they haven't had this issue at all since driving it (been a couple weeks now).

#19 ·
kandor said:
I was just about to start a new topic on this when I saw this one. I have a '10 Equinox, LT with 37,000. AWD, V6. During my morning commute the same thing happened to me: check engine light came on, Service Stabilitrak message came on the DIC, and it began idling roughly. I made it to work fine and have not had this problem again.

So is this a software glitch or a sign of impending failure?
kandor and axelfolee,

I would like to look into this concern you are having. I can not state why this has happened and would need a diagnosis from the dealership. If you would like further assistance feel free to private message me.

Erica Tiffany
GMC Customer Service

#20 ·
I have been sitting on the side of the road for almost an hour because my 2010 Terrain had the check engine light come on. Then service stabilitrak and engine power reduced just before it died. This is 6 months after the fuel pump died and leaked fuel into the oil. That was only a few months after the water pump went. Oh yeah I'm not even past 45k yet. To date this has been the worst vehicle purchase I've made. I should have stayed with my Colorado at 105k.

I will update when I have more.

#21 ·
gwolanin,

I have a 2013 v6 2wd with the same issue as you. The service stabletrack error message pops up, and then the engine power reduced message. All this for no reason at all. It has happened 3 times so far. The dealer can see the error codes and contacted GM engineering due to the error codes reported are not documented.

Just so you know the last visit to the dealer, GM admitted that there are only 3 cases known across the country with this issue specific to the same year and engine combo. GM engineering had my dealer install a hose clamp on a 4" braded gas line. GM thinks the gas line is collapsing causing the error.

I am waiting to see if the fix worked. My dealer stated if it happens again, they are going to help me exercise the lemon law act.

#22 ·
I have a 2011 4cyl AWD with the same issue. Rough idle, stabilitrac service warning, check engine light, plus dieseling when shut off. It's done the dieseling and rough idle thing a few times over the past couple of months but the cel and stabilitrac warning is new. It's going to the dealer this morning. This will make the fourth time I've had to take it to the dealer for repairs since we bought it. First was for some sort of oil sensor that clogged up at about 30k and made it run like crap, then turn signal wiring that burned up, then a soaked carpet from sunroof drains that apparently weren't ever connected, and now this. I've never had a new car with so many issues so soon. I think we're about ready to trade this one in on something else. I wanted to give GM a chance and really like the car when it's working correctly, but making a $500/month payment on a car that you can't trust is beyond frustrating. :(

#23 ·
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, still no answers as no codes were stored and none of the issues reported occurred during a 30 plus mile test drive by the service staff. My girlfriend seems to think the issues are more likely to occur during hotter weather so I'm going to take it back on Wednesday when we're back into the 90's. In defense of the service staff they are honestly and diligently trying to determine what the problem is and even mentioned it possibly being a timing chain issue. But they need to be able to observe the stumbling or dieseling or find a trouble code to be able to do anything under the factory warranty They did tell me that I have a standing appointment and anytime this issue occurs to drive right in so they can catch it in action. It's frustrating to see so many Terrain's with issues like this. If I find out anything new I'll post it up to maybe help someone else in a similar situation.

#24 ·
susanandbill said:
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, still no answers as no codes were stored and none of the issues reported occurred during a 30 plus mile test drive by the service staff. My girlfriend seems to think the issues are more likely to occur during hotter weather so I'm going to take it back on Wednesday when we're back into the 90's. In defense of the service staff they are honestly and diligently trying to determine what the problem is and even mentioned it possibly being a timing chain issue. But they need to be able to observe the stumbling or dieseling or find a trouble code to be able to do anything under the factory warranty They did tell me that I have a standing appointment and anytime this issue occurs to drive right in so they can catch it in action. It's frustrating to see so many Terrain's with issues like this. If I find out anything new I'll post it up to maybe help someone else in a similar situation.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your vehicle and know how frustrating it can be. It is good to know that the dealership is really trying to help figure out the cause of this problem. If you would like for us to document your concerns within our system for future reference please let us know. We look forward to hearing any future updates from you as well.

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

#25 ·
Well, once again, the issues refuse to rear their ugly heads while they are being watched and waited for. So now we play the waiting game to see if we can catch them occurring and get the car to the service department before the trouble codes disappear again. More than likely we'll be trading this car in on something else sooner than later. A three year old car shouldn't be having any of these kinds of problems, and I don't much care for the idea of waiting for it to get worse and being stuck with a huge repair bill for a nearly new car or worse yet stranded somewhere. Sorry GM but this one misses the mark.

#26 ·
My wifes 2010 V6 Terrain just started getting the Stabilitrak issue. She had a minor collision where a lady hit her on the front passenger side near the head light. The car's body was fixed, but then she started getting this message, and the vehicle would not accelerate. After arguing with the business doing the repair that this had to be related to the accident b/c it never happend prior, we are getting the insurance to foot the bill of replacing the "Throttle Body". I read on previous posts that this could be a fuel pump as well. I will try to post on if it fixes the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.