GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
well we have seen folks who come on here to say-- the car is having problem X, and the CEL has been on for over a year.... :surprise:

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
18 Posts
So, the check engine light comes up and the computer chip algorithm decides it has to shut down Stabilitrak and reduce engine function causing rough idle causing unsafe speeds if you are on a road with posted speeds of 70 mph? Sounds like a risky way to call attention to possible problems!!! This has occurred on relatively new cars and trucks with varying responses by GM and it's dealers, some even saying that a new car with 10,000 miles on it has carboned up the throttle body and it isn't covered under warranty. I have been doing research because my V6 terrain with 60.000 miles has started this nonsense! Mechanic (trusted) says the throttle body is in bad shape so we are replacing it (after 60,000 miles? This is GM tough!?). Everybody has quality issues anymore but GM has had at least 6-7 years to figure this out, give me a break!
Or perhaps the alogorithm detects some kind of trouble and shuts down things to allow the system to go safely in limp mode to let you get to a safe place in a safe manner instead of just shutting down on highway posted at 70MPH, or letting you continue on with lights blinking until engine is destroyed :). The sgutting down thing (been there a few times in the past) is always interesting :)

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Yes. . . . and the OP has yet to come back and read any reply or further recommendations as are many of those who come here to just complain.

Still have a difficult time trying to understand why someone would take the time to register, make one post to complain without any understanding, nor take the time to google search the forum and see if there are similar posts regarding his/her issue.

More often than not, a vehicle will have changes in performance, odd noises, starting issues, or other symptoms long before going into a limp mode. That would be the time to at least take it to Autozone , Advanced Auto, etc for a free scan or better, take it to a service shop and see what is going on. I know too many people who just ignore early warning signs because of time or money limitations. Unwise. To delay will usually cost more time and much more money when something fails hard.

Cars are complex electromechanical machines these days. More than usual due diligence is required to keep them running. I always told the kids. . . once they are driving a vehicle, they should first be observant to any abnormal sounds or performance differences while driving. Next. . either learn how to at least do basic maintenance and trouble shooting yourself. . .. or find and pay a good service shop to do it. There ARE very reliable and decent service shops out there. .. even in independent run establishments.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh goody, me too!

:confused: So discouraging to see so many of the same issues and nothing but nightmares from dealerships. I just developed this issue of stabilitrack and engine power reduced. I have 160,000 miles. Checked out videos. I first had the battery tested even though the car still started, because I was having other power issues. The battery was bad but new battery didn't fix it. Then I cleaned the throttle body (without taking it of) Cleaned up good, but didn't fix it. I put seafoam in the fuel tank and oil, nothing. The only other thing I know to do from suggestions online is to check speed sensor on wheels, or bad wheel bearing. Also, maybe take throttle body off and clean it thoroughly, or just replace it. Im really gonna be grabbing at straws here. Any other sensors I should check? I work on cars but im no mechanic.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The reduced power message and trouble can be caused by a number of different reasons. What codes are being set for your particular vehicle and did you have it scanned before replacing battery?

·
Registered
1 Posts
2010 GMC Terrain

I have a 2010 GMC Terrain that is also experiencing issues. If I am sitting in my car for 20 minutes listening to the radio, a message comes on the dashboard that says "Power Save Mode". I turn the ignition and I get the clicking sound. My battery is brand new and the only way to get it started is to have the car jumped. This has happened twice in the last 6 weeks. Why is it doing this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the 'stabilitrak off' message along with the engine check light...I am going to try and see what code is showing, but I would like to know if board members in the metro Chicago area can recommend a reliable shop, GM or other, who knows how to deal with this problem. The car will need to have this addressed before the end of November. Previously, the car, a 2008 Equinox had the 'powerloss' problem, but the throttle body was cleaned and there have been no power/throttle problems, but the stabilitrak off message persists. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, I've tried two code readers, both couldn't read a code. On one, 'linking error', on the other 'error'. Nothing else. Now what?

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Are you cig lighters working?
Its possible the OBD port power is dead. (blown fuse).
They sometimes share the same fuse.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Code reader has to be CAN system compatible. Older ones are not. That's what a non compatible one will say when it will not link, I have a old one that does that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New Engine, New Transmission SAME PROBLEM

2010 GMC Terrain
Was having the same issues before the transmission gave out and had it replaced at the dealership back in December. "StabiliTrak Error" came back and the car went into "Engine Power Reduced" mode. Took it back to the dealership and was told that the timing chain had stretched and the engine was shot. The engine was replaced last week, I went to pick up the car and didn't get out of the parking lot before the same thing happened. Both errors appeared on the dash. The computer is being replaced as I type this.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This morning after starting my 2010 Terrain I noticed it was idling very rough.
Then the check engine light came on and there was a display that send "Service Stabilitrak"
I backed out of the garage and put the car in park.
I turned off the stabilitrak but the message and rough idle continued.
I then shutoff the engine and then restarted it.
I turned the stabilitrak back on and everything was fine.
I've driven it several times today w/o any further issues.
I have a 2010, 4 cyl. with 8850 miles.
Anyone have any insight?
:help:
Thanks

Follow-up.
My son brought over his code reader on 03/18/12 and guess what?
There was no diagnostic code stored.
Guess it was just a strange anomaly.
::)
Hello did you figure this out after all? There is a TSB for this. Inspect and clean your hub assemblies as these conditions may be caused by single or multiple pieces of ferrous metallic debris stuck to the wheel speed sensor magnetic encoder ring.. With a decent scan tool you can read the c codes instead of the p codes to know which hub assembly is the culprit, otherwise you would have to take off all tires and inspect each one front and back. Removal of the hub assembly may be necessary. Replacement may not be required. Hope this helps!

41 - 56 of 56 Posts