GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
gwolanin,

I have a 2013 v6 2wd with the same issue as you. The service stabletrack error message pops up, and then the engine power reduced message. All this for no reason at all. It has happened 3 times so far. The dealer can see the error codes and contacted GM engineering due to the error codes reported are not documented.

Just so you know the last visit to the dealer, GM admitted that there are only 3 cases known across the country with this issue specific to the same year and engine combo. GM engineering had my dealer install a hose clamp on a 4" braded gas line. GM thinks the gas line is collapsing causing the error.

I am waiting to see if the fix worked. My dealer stated if it happens again, they are going to help me exercise the lemon law act.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2011 4cyl AWD with the same issue. Rough idle, stabilitrac service warning, check engine light, plus dieseling when shut off. It's done the dieseling and rough idle thing a few times over the past couple of months but the cel and stabilitrac warning is new. It's going to the dealer this morning. This will make the fourth time I've had to take it to the dealer for repairs since we bought it. First was for some sort of oil sensor that clogged up at about 30k and made it run like crap, then turn signal wiring that burned up, then a soaked carpet from sunroof drains that apparently weren't ever connected, and now this. I've never had a new car with so many issues so soon. I think we're about ready to trade this one in on something else. I wanted to give GM a chance and really like the car when it's working correctly, but making a $500/month payment on a car that you can't trust is beyond frustrating. :(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, still no answers as no codes were stored and none of the issues reported occurred during a 30 plus mile test drive by the service staff. My girlfriend seems to think the issues are more likely to occur during hotter weather so I'm going to take it back on Wednesday when we're back into the 90's. In defense of the service staff they are honestly and diligently trying to determine what the problem is and even mentioned it possibly being a timing chain issue. But they need to be able to observe the stumbling or dieseling or find a trouble code to be able to do anything under the factory warranty They did tell me that I have a standing appointment and anytime this issue occurs to drive right in so they can catch it in action. It's frustrating to see so many Terrain's with issues like this. If I find out anything new I'll post it up to maybe help someone else in a similar situation.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
susanandbill said:
Well, after spending the day at the dealership, still no answers as no codes were stored and none of the issues reported occurred during a 30 plus mile test drive by the service staff. My girlfriend seems to think the issues are more likely to occur during hotter weather so I'm going to take it back on Wednesday when we're back into the 90's. In defense of the service staff they are honestly and diligently trying to determine what the problem is and even mentioned it possibly being a timing chain issue. But they need to be able to observe the stumbling or dieseling or find a trouble code to be able to do anything under the factory warranty They did tell me that I have a standing appointment and anytime this issue occurs to drive right in so they can catch it in action. It's frustrating to see so many Terrain's with issues like this. If I find out anything new I'll post it up to maybe help someone else in a similar situation.
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having this issue with your vehicle and know how frustrating it can be. It is good to know that the dealership is really trying to help figure out the cause of this problem. If you would like for us to document your concerns within our system for future reference please let us know. We look forward to hearing any future updates from you as well.

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, once again, the issues refuse to rear their ugly heads while they are being watched and waited for. So now we play the waiting game to see if we can catch them occurring and get the car to the service department before the trouble codes disappear again. More than likely we'll be trading this car in on something else sooner than later. A three year old car shouldn't be having any of these kinds of problems, and I don't much care for the idea of waiting for it to get worse and being stuck with a huge repair bill for a nearly new car or worse yet stranded somewhere. Sorry GM but this one misses the mark.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wifes 2010 V6 Terrain just started getting the Stabilitrak issue. She had a minor collision where a lady hit her on the front passenger side near the head light. The car's body was fixed, but then she started getting this message, and the vehicle would not accelerate. After arguing with the business doing the repair that this had to be related to the accident b/c it never happend prior, we are getting the insurance to foot the bill of replacing the "Throttle Body". I read on previous posts that this could be a fuel pump as well. I will try to post on if it fixes the issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I received this same Service StabilTrak, Reduced Engine Power message this past Thursday 1/2/2014.

What is interesting is in Ohio, the roads were snowy and I placed my phone on my dash (in an attempt to catch non-winter weather drivers) LOL.

I captured the video while driving of getting the error. (actual chime at 1:34)

Video here:

--- UPDATE ---
Picked up my vehicle today 1/6/2014

NO CODE WAS STORED when they attempted to read it. However the PREVIOUS code was still there from when the issue happened in August.

Based on that, the following was replaced:

4021890 - Fuel Pump Replacement
1 - 12633596 (S) Pipe
1 - 12641740 W- (S) Pump
1 - 12639208 (S) Pipe
Replaced High Volume Pressure Fuel Pump and both steel lines, all complete, test drove.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 Terrain SLE AWD and the same thing is happening to my car. Especially on the highway! I took it to a mechanic and he check it out and told me that it was the Throttle Position Sensor needed to be reset. I called GM Headquarters and they told me that there was NO RECALL on this problem. I was dumb founded, sad, and angry. I called the dealer and they quoted me (for the Throttle Position Sensor) $400 to replace it and $120 to reset it. A $45 part. That's insane. If anyone can help please let me know. The mechanic where I took it said that only the dealer can fix the problem. This is my first, and LAST, GMC vehicle and I am EXTREMELY disappointed. :thumbdown: :banghead: :facepalm:

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
gwolanin said:
I received this same Service StabilTrak, Reduced Engine Power message this past Thursday 1/2/2014.

What is interesting is in Ohio, the roads were snowy and I placed my phone on my dash (in an attempt to catch non-winter weather drivers) LOL.

I captured the video while driving of getting the error. (actual chime at 1:34)

Video here:

thanks for that.

Any idea what codes were set?
Quite a few number of things will cause the stabilitrack error to pop up...

·
Registered
7 Posts
rbarrios said:
thanks for that.

Any idea what codes were set?
Quite a few number of things will cause the stabilitrack error to pop up...
When the dealer started it up to pull the codes, there were none saved for this latest event. It had gone through 3 drive cycles w/o the problem reoccurring so it cleared itself out. I stressed again to the dealership that they must have a software glitch somewhere that is not storing the codes or freeze frame data. I just get the head nod..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same has happened with my 2011 FWD 4cyl, several times over a 2 week period left with Service Dealer overnight The next morning upon starting Dealer experienced the problem: Stabilitrak Error with reduced power and pulled code P2135 TPS 1-2 correlation , replaced throttle body plus labor was $397.18 NOT covered by GMC warranty BUT Service Mngr indicated all 2010 were covered regardless of miles. I disputed for warranty coverage with GMC Customer Service BUT their arrogance refused to cover. The STABILITRAK WARNING is BOGUS! It is an Engine/Drivetrain Component should be covered under warranty 5 year/100,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, the check engine light comes up and the computer chip algorithm decides it has to shut down Stabilitrak and reduce engine function causing rough idle causing unsafe speeds if you are on a road with posted speeds of 70 mph? Sounds like a risky way to call attention to possible problems!!! This has occurred on relatively new cars and trucks with varying responses by GM and it's dealers, some even saying that a new car with 10,000 miles on it has carboned up the throttle body and it isn't covered under warranty. I have been doing research because my V6 terrain with 60.000 miles has started this nonsense! Mechanic (trusted) says the throttle body is in bad shape so we are replacing it (after 60,000 miles? This is GM tough!?). Everybody has quality issues anymore but GM has had at least 6-7 years to figure this out, give me a break!

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
So, the check engine light comes up and the computer chip algorithm decides it has to shut down Stabilitrak and reduce engine function causing rough idle causing unsafe speeds if you are on a road with posted speeds of 70 mph? Sounds like a risky way to call attention to possible problems!!! This has occurred on relatively new cars and trucks with varying responses by GM and it's dealers, some even saying that a new car with 10,000 miles on it has carboned up the throttle body and it isn't covered under warranty. I have been doing research because my V6 terrain with 60.000 miles has started this nonsense! Mechanic (trusted) says the throttle body is in bad shape so we are replacing it (after 60,000 miles? This is GM tough!?). Everybody has quality issues anymore but GM has had at least 6-7 years to figure this out, give me a break!
Seems like I would have 1st gone with a TB cleaning before spending the money to replace it. They are easy to clean - much discussion on forum about the procedure.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
the fix is simple.
Buy a can of CRC throttle body cleaner. $5 at auto parts or Home Depot (yes HD has it).

I clean the throttle body at every oil change.... No, have never removed the TB.....
I simply make sure to clean the sides-- where the butterfly pivots/moves...
I spray the cleaner and move the butterfly back and forth.

2003 Trailblazer- 181,000 miles. (learned of throttle body dirtiness issues at 60,000--- but 121,000 trouble free miles since)
2010 Traverse- 133,100 miles, 0 issues with throttle body
2013 Equinox- 66,300 miles, 0 issues with throttle body

yeah I learned of TB being dirty and the issue it causes on the Trailblazer.
1st time it acted up- I simply cleaned it as mentioned above... didnt even remove it.
And 121,000 miles later... all is good....
1 can of TB cleaner will last me-- several years.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
Seems like I would have 1st gone with a TB cleaning before spending the money to replace it. They are easy to clean - much discussion on forum about the procedure.

Yup . . some come here to complain . . . rather than search and *read* if there is a remedy for their issue. Let alone asking if they ever do any routine maintenance like throttle body cleaning.

samo-samo . . . . carry on.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
What's the connection between Throttle Body and Stabilitrak? On the surface, it would appear there would be none!

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
What's the connection between Throttle Body and Stabilitrak? On the surface, it would appear there would be none!
Let me try to connect the dots -

Dirty Throttle Body makes car run crappy -> Check Engine Light comes on -> GM (and maybe others) try to get customers to fix their CEL by turning off features that are important to drivers such as ABS, Stabiltrak, AWD, limp home mode, etc.

I think that is how it goes.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Let me try to connect the dots -

Dirty Throttle Body makes car run crappy -> Check Engine Light comes on -> GM (and maybe others) try to get customers to fix their CEL by turning off features that are important to drivers such as ABS, Stabiltrak, AWD, limp home mode, etc.

I think that is how it goes.
Yeah ... sounds about right!

But seriously ... Stabilitrak has to do with wheel slippage, traction, and trying to right to direction of the vehicle. I don't see the connection to the Throttle Body. A dirty TB will make your engine run like crap with a rough idle, maybe even some stalling, but that shouldn't trigger Stabilitrak errors (I wouldn't think).

And I've had Stabilitrak errors appear on my 2011 (light ON, "Service Stabilitrak" messages appearing), without *any* effects whatsoever to driveability (no "limp-mode", no nothing). It's popped up about 3 or 4 times now just in the last two years.

But maybe what I've experienced, and what the complaint(s) are in this thread are two different things??

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
seen multiple threads of the Stabilitrak message popping up. (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave, Outlook).
The reasons for the message to pop up-- are sometimes weird--- and not related.

some fixes were- replacing the throttle body or brake pedal position sensor.

an interesting one --
owner got the Message on DIC Service Stabilitrak & service traction control error

Once he checked the codes--
P1074 Fuel Trim System Leane Bank 2
P0106 Manifold absolute pressure sensor - pressure incorrect
P0171 Fuel Trim System Leane Bank 1

then he found the problem.....
there is a little nipple with a rubber cap on the Acadia on the back of the intake manifold.... present but not used/capped . (but is used on the Enclave-- this little nipple connects a hose to one of the Motor Mounts--- Vacuum Assisted motor mount).
But his little rubber cap- fell off or something.
Once it was replaced--- problems fixed. no more codes, no more Service Stabilitrak.

·
Registered
811 Posts
My Co. Express van had erratic misfires, they don't change plugs until they absolutely have to, it would trigger reduced power and stabiltrack / traction messages.
It's GM's way to get you to fix the vehicle. Liability management for today's world.
Who cares about those warning lights as long as it starts and goes is the way of the average driver.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts