GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

SRX Dim Headlights

18K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  JBSpence62 
#1 ·
Before i purchased my 2014 SRX in June 2018, I never test drove it at night. First mistake! After i sealed the deal, I drove the car at night. I could NOT see the road. The headlights were so dim anything could have ran out in the road and I'd not be able to stop in time before I hit it. I called the dealer, they said they could replace headlight bulbs. No better. They offered to install after market LED box that connects to the headlights. I was told " We have a bunch in stock". WHY would a cadillac dealer have "A bunch in stock" of an after market item if there is nothing wrong with the SRX headlights????? After this I contacted GM directly. They would not admit there was a problem with the headlights and only offered me a $100 credit at the dealership if i needed any type of service.

I have done some research and see that there is a Class Action Lawsuit currently going on for 2010 - 2015 SRX models for dim headlights.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, what have you done?

#2 ·
Before i purchased my 2014 SRX in June 2018, I never test drove it at night. First mistake! After i sealed the deal, I drove the car at night. I could NOT see the road. The headlights were so dim anything could have ran out in the road and I'd not be able to stop in time before I hit it. I called the dealer, they said they could replace headlight bulbs. No better. They offered to install after market LED box that connects to the headlights. I was told " We have a bunch in stock". WHY would a cadillac dealer have "A bunch in stock" of an after market item if there is nothing wrong with the SRX headlights????? After this I contacted GM directly. They would not admit there was a problem with the headlights and only offered me a $100 credit at the dealership if i needed any type of service.

I have done some research and see thhttps://www.xenondepot.com/2014-srx-h11-hid-kit-p/2q16-0000-h11-hid-kit.htmat there is a Class Action Lawsuit currently going on for 2010 - 2015 SRX models for dim headlights.

Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, what have you done?
Congrats on the new car and sorry to hear you're not happy with the headlights but we've heard of this complaint before from other forum members and customers. I would recommend upgrading your headlights to an HID Kit or LED Kit to improve the light output. Of the two, HID would be the brightest option and because you have projector headlights then it makes it a great candidate for this plug n play upgrade.

2014 Cadillac SRX HID Kit

Danny

#9 ·
I am having the same issue. Several class action lawsuits have been filed in California and Florida with verdicts for the plaintiffs. GM claims they sent letters to all affected but we never received ours. According to GM, offer to reimburse expired June 2. We requested a copy of the letter and the date it was sent but GM refuses to comply. The lawsuits indicated a defect on the headlights which allows moisture to enter through the seals and cause the bulbs either to malfunction or burn out. We are in the process of seeking legal assistance as we were told we missed our window. GM is aware of this problem and yet has refused to issue a recall.

#8 ·
Hey so i just got a letter in the mail that there was a recall on the headlights if they had any moisture inside. I took it to my caddy dealer and they said i could buy the new headlights and that Cadillac was going to send a refund to me with my invoice. It was like $600 per light. I have an SRX too so I wanted to let you know.

#8 ·
yes, we purchased a SRX Cadillac 2014 and the headlights are very dim and we can hardly drive at night. We looked at the front of the car and realized both bulbs were out. After doing some research also, we realized there have been numerous complaints about this issue on the 2010-2015 models which have ended up in several class action lawsuits mostly in California and Florida. According to the lawsuits filed, the headlights are defective as the seal is not keeping the condensation/moisture out, thereby causing malfunctioning. We contacted the dealership in Florida who recommended we contacted GM. We did but were informed that a letter was sent letting the owners know of this problem with a deadline of June 2, 2019. We never received the letter. We requested a copy be sent because I wanted to know the date and the content of the letter, but we were informed they could not provide me with it any longer. We have read in several of the complaints, owners indicated they never received letters either. It is obvious that the problem is not limited to the 2010-2015 since you purchased this model in 2018. GM knows of this problem and have failed to do a formal recall and are continuing to manufacture and SELL defective vehicles.

#11 ·
Aside from having bulb failures due to moisture intrusion: If the bulbs are functioning and there isn't a problem within the bulb housing (corrosion of the reflective surfaces) and the light output is insufficient; wouldn't the issue more than likely be that the aim is incorrectly adjusted?

I recently purchased a 2019 Equinox LT, Redline that had horrible light output. You couldn't distinguish high beam from low, and generally very poor performance. I understand you are referring to an SRX, but this information can apply to any vehicle!

What I did observe was that I could see the tree tops better than the road.

After a simple adjustment/alignment of the headlamps; I am pleased with the lighting output and performance.

Recently a bulletin has been issued for this problem on my particular year model.

My point is, before condemning the design and headlight components; assure that they are aimed properly: Even dealers struggle to get this correct: After I had the dealer adjust mine, it required a little fine tuning on my part to get the beam in the perfect position.

Reactions: bigb12359
#12 ·
Dim Low Beams

I have a 2015 SRX and I love it......except for those very dim low beams! Had a friend replace them with some that were supposed to be much brighter but they were not! He said he thought it was something to do with the design of the housing, that the bulb sits way back, possibly causing the issue! Real sad situation when new bulbs wouldn't fix the problem. So after reading previous remarks I'm thinking there is no fix???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.