GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, after reading the "squeaky rear shocks" thread, I have found that it is in deed my rear parking brake cable that is wiggling around in the bracket on the drivers side rear near the rear wheel. I know it just needs a little lube, my question is what to use?

I have white lithium grease in a can...would this work?
I also have marine grease in a tube that i can apply with my finger.

Or is there something i should go buy? I really don't want to deal with my dealer cause they looked at it once and of course the noise didnt happen. This seems like a very easy fix, just need to advise as to what lube to use.

thanks!

2010 equinox for those that need to know.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
I would probably use White Lithium, just because I have a spray can of it, but I would guess either would work fine. When you use the spray, make sure you don't overspray onto the rotor - stating the obvious, but never hurts to be safe, instead of sorry.

Or, I'm sure that the dealer could hook you up with some GM approved parking brake cable lubricant for $37.50. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RIT333 said:
I would probably use White Lithium, just because I have a spray can of it, but I would guess either would work fine. When you use the spray, make sure you don't overspray onto the rotor - stating the obvious, but never hurts to be safe, instead of sorry.

Or, I'm sure that the dealer could hook you up with some GM approved parking brake cable lubricant for $37.50. ;D ;D ;D
thanks for the fast reply.

I'll try that out. The cable squeaks right under the door by the wheel well if that makes sense. So no worry of the rotor.

·
Registered
361 Posts
for those currently looking to solve this issue it is a know defect in the parking brake cable. The techs at your dealer have the service bulletin. Mine will be fixed this week. :beer:

PS. the lube is just a temp fix there is a new parking brake cable retrofit they will install.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts