GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've had my Equinox for almost 2 months now. Love it. I have had some noisy sqeaking sounds coming from the back, I am sure that it is the shocks and at first I thought maybe they needed to be worked in or something but the noise is not going away.

Anyone else having this problem? It is not a huge sound but it is definately noticeable with not music on when going over bumps. Will be taking it in soon to have it looked at.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,153 Posts
Do you have anything in the rear compartment? I thought I had a rattle at one point, and discovered that my wife had left an umbrella in the back and the handle was "rattling" on the plastic part behind the rear seat. Another thing to try is to lower the rear seat (or up if it's already down) and see if you can eliminate that as the cause. None of this may help you at all, but it might for someone else that reads this and has something similar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have anything in the back at all, I will try your suggestion regarding the rear seats. Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Our plastic cover piece was causing a squeak when we first got out Terrain. It wasnt seated completely in place and was rubbing against the piece. Took about two minutes to find it while I rode in the back and the wife drove over a rough road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Our plastic cover piece was causing a squeak when we first got out Terrain. It wasnt seated completely in place and was rubbing against the piece. Took about two minutes to find it while I rode in the back and the wife drove over a rough road.
which plastic cover piece?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
698 Posts
Also make sure everything in the spare tire compartment is secured. I had a rattle in the back that turned out to be a loose velcro strap on the lug nut wrench. There's styrofoam back there that can cause squeaking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
djmodifyd said:
which plastic cover piece?
Look behind the seats. Whenever you lower the seatbacks, the piece that covers up the whole that is made. Its two pieces. The small one of ours wasnt locked into place all the way and it squeaked a tiny bit but just enough to annoy the crap out of you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Look behind the seats. Whenever you lower the seatbacks, the piece that covers up the whole that is made. Its two pieces. The small one of ours wasnt locked into place all the way and it squeaked a tiny bit but just enough to annoy the crap out of you.
ill take a look at that, thanks!
ill also look at the spare tire stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
went out and looked at my rear cover thing. The small one seems to be sticking up higher than the big one, i tried to push down on it but it didn't snap in and i didn't want to break anything.
I'm wondering if your smaller panel stick s up a bit more on its pivot point than the left (bigger) one?
i attached a couple pictures to try and show what i mean.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
It looks off. It doesnt take much to get them messed up and they are a PITA to get back on. It took me about 15 minutes to get it because the springs that hold them down are very small and its hard to get them to get back under the piece that is holding them in.

You also have to push VERY, VERY, VERY hard to get them to snap back onto the bar that holds them into place. I was afraid I was going to break them because I was putting ALL my weight on them (220 lbs) and it was STILL reluctant to snap back into place.

If you cant do it, take it to the dealer and ask them to show you how. My MIL had the same thing happen on her Terrain and they couldnt get it back on either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
bballr4567 said:
It looks off. It doesnt take much to get them messed up and they are a PITA to get back on. It took me about 15 minutes to get it because the springs that hold them down are very small and its hard to get them to get back under the piece that is holding them in.

You also have to push VERY, VERY, VERY hard to get them to snap back onto the bar that holds them into place. I was afraid I was going to break them because I was putting ALL my weight on them (220 lbs) and it was STILL reluctant to snap back into place.

If you cant do it, take it to the dealer and ask them to show you how. My MIL had the same thing happen on her Terrain and they couldnt get it back on either.

thanks for the fast response!
is all i do push on the rear part where pivots to get it to snap? or do i need to take the springs off underneath somehow? thanks again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
nevermind...just figured it out.

you weren't lying..that spring was hard to get back on but needle nose pliers and some ninja like moves got it done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
I have a 2010 Equinox had a problem with squeaking while on the road, thought it was something in the interior so I searched and searched and finally I got tired of looking. I got out of the car and pushed down on the rear end and it made the squeak So I took it to the dealership they test drove it came back and said sure enough. Bout an hour later they called me and said they had found it, it was the emergency break squeaking inside the bracket So they moved it a little and lubed it up and No problems or squeaks since, Don't know if this is Your problem or not but Thought I would put that out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
djmodifyd said:
nevermind...just figured it out.

you weren't lying..that spring was hard to get back on but needle nose pliers and some ninja like moves got it done.
Yea, ninja moves are certainly required. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
177 Posts
I too have a similar sound from the rear, although it's more of a creak rather than a squeak. I have an appointment with the dealer this Friday for it. Will report on results.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
Our 'Nox originally had this back cover very out of alignment. It took me a couple tries, but I was able to get it into place. (with a lot of effort too) It seems they didn't assemble it correctly in the factory if you ask me. Since I put it back in place, we've not had any problems with it. I'm sure this will get redesigned in the future. Current design leaves a lot to be desired.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like it was the emergency brake cable, this has like a plastic tube that squeaks... lubed it up and it is gone now... the odd time i still hear it but not a big deal
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
yes, please post!

i have a squeak that is sometimes very loud..and other times i can't hear it at all.

sounds like it is coming from the rear drivers side.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I am having this issue also from the rear driver's side. It is mostly only when I go over speed bumps or hit a pothole or if the road is rough. It's not loud and it sounds to my uneducated ears like a spring that is squeaking. I will probably ask my dealer to look at it the next time I am in for an oil change.
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top