GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Living in AZ I sometimes see some cool and weird looking cars and trucks from Mexico driving around.
I was filling up the Nox last night and saw this cool looking Lil Suv. At first i thought it was a Saturn then a older Pontiac
Then i was shocked to see it was a Chevy. Once I saw the Mexican license plate i had a ahhhaw moment.
Took some pics of the back without being caught, but not the front since the Lady was byherself and i did not want to look like a creepy dude lol

Did some research today and found that its called a Chevy Captiva, guess it replaces the HHR in Mexico. It was just a lil bit smaller than my nox, but looked great and i liked the headlights and side vents. Tailights looked good too, here is some of my pics and a online pic of the front.
Has anyone else seem one of these?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yeah, those things have a shorter wheelbase than the current Nox/Terrain....but 3rd row seating. Can you imagine an actual human with legs trying to sit back there? :eek: I can't even imagine a 3rd row with the longer wheelbase..

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes I have seen them, GM sells them in the US to fleet only meaning rental car companys, yur correct they are made in Mexico on the old HHR line at I believe it's called San Remo's

·
Registered
78 Posts
That is just a re-badged Saturn Vue. I saw them around too with US plate. The real Chevy Captiva sold elsewhere is built by Deawoo and has 7 seats and looks much better. They do have a 2.0 diesel option.

·
Registered
249 Posts
It's the same platform as the European models, and it's the older theta platform.

P.S. I thought this was a joke thread, and I'm gonna see a picture of the Nox with a mustache and sombrero

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NODES said:
will this be the platform used for the new buick SUV?
I think If Buick builds a smaller suv they prob will use a Theta platform. This Captiva base is much smaller scale, unless thats what Buick is gonna go for.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
CFRTim said:
P.S. I thought this was a joke thread, and I'm gonna see a picture of the Nox with a mustache and sombrero
Lol

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
bowtieman said:
I think If Buick builds a smaller suv they prob will use a Theta platform. This Captiva base is much smaller scale, unless thats what Buick is gonna go for.
They've already done it..and on a smaller scale than the Captiva or Nox. (Cruze platform iirc) See icemans video..

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
It really has a paddedlike soft touch dash and door armrests...and usual Buick upgrades. Price will probably reflect that,too. 1.4 turbo 4 cyl. Sizewise..maybe a little larger/taller than a Pontiac 'Vibe'.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
NODES said:
that looks sooo tiny.... is that even in the SUV/CUV category?
Maybe technically it is, but to me it's simply a compact 4 door hatchback car. I really don't know what GM was thinking putting the Buick badge on something that small...seems that a Cruze CUV with less pseudo-luxury and a smaller pricetag would have been a better choice.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
Well..perhaps Buick thinks this size hatchback..being small but different than the 'VibeTypes' of other brands will appeal to niche players seeking a little luxury as well as economy. I can't see much performance..but there does seem to be some comfort and convenience factors (I suppose groceries will fit in the back). I think the ride and quietness may be lacking...but in the end..the price may tell the tale. I can't see it selling like hotcakes..but if gas keeps crawling upwards the Enclave might not look so appealing as it once did to the Buickniks.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
IceMan said:
Well..perhaps Buick thinks this size hatchback..being small but different than the 'VibeTypes' of other brands will appeal to niche players seeking a little luxury as well as economy. I can't see much performance..but there does seem to be some comfort and convenience factors (I suppose groceries will fit in the back). I think the ride and quietness may be lacking...but in the end..the price may tell the tale. I can't see it selling like hotcakes..but if gas keeps crawling upwards the Enclave might not look so appealing as it once did to the Buickniks.
The traditional Buick buyer is going to be over 65 and no longer have a daily commute...meaning gas mileage won't be as important, and they likely won't put up with a cramped interior and lack of cargo space. On the other hand, I'm not sure this will attract the younger buyers that Buick is obviously going for either..

·
Registered
977 Posts
Maybe they will make a Chevy Version. Maybe compete with the Tuson. Looks like their making the mistake with the rebaged Caviler that was Cady Cimmaron. But GM does make a lot of mistakes :eek:hno:

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
IceMan said:
. I think the ride and quietness may be lacking...
I don't think that Buick will release it until they have these items under control. It would undermine their strategy to market.

·
Super Moderator
931 Posts
RIT333 said:
I don't think that Buick will release it until they have these items under control. It would undermine their strategy to market.
Thing is..is that shorter wheelbase and smallness always seem to negatively effect a smooth ride.
Last weekend...I was looking at a couple of new SUVs in my spare time (retired) at the local GM/Buick dealer ship. Comparing Enclaves to Acadias..just for fun. I was surprised to find some pretty substancial diffs, one being that the Enclave has the insulated glass and extra sound deadening insulation throughout..and the GMC does not...at least according to the salesman. The sticker price comparison wasn't that far apart. Although it means extra weight..these features help alot with quietness and actual comfort to me. I had assumed that a quiet cabin was the new trend now being added to many new cars..since my Wife's Equinox...and my new Regal has it...but some still haven't headed in that dirrection it seems.
If this taller little hatchback with short wheelbase rides choppy...and skimps on the quiet cabin to keep the price down it could affect sales for sure IMO. I think I read somewhere that the price will start in the mid 20s. Add on some opts...and the Encore is then up in Equinox/Terrain territory. We'll see..I would like to drive one just for fun,tho.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts