GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Splash Guards...What's up with Pricing????

29K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  fourmoremarine 
#1 ·
Hello All...

I thought I would start a seprate thread about the splash guards. My husband and I just ordered a set through our dealer to have installed before we take delivery of the Terrain.

However in reading the thread below (which veered a little off topic and thus I started this thread) it would appear that GM pricing from the dealer is all over the place just for the guards themselves. I went into the thread and pulled the pricing, seems like there is no consistency to the pricing from the dealer at all.

Pricing

Cremaley - $89.00 (From Dealer)
- $200.00 (installed)

Gearhead - #171.55 CDN (Installed Front & Rear) (From Dealer)

Skyracer - $93.00 (each) (From Dealer)
- $120 (installation)

Terrain Girl - $160.00 CDN (All four installed) (From Dealer)

It appears that many others are looking for splash guards also, maybe we can setup this thread and direct people to where the pricing, and stock availability is?

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=177.msg1211#msg1211

See less See more
#3 ·
Good thread, TerrainGirl!

Couple things to remember...
We're dealing with 2 different currencies in this thread (I think LOL) so may be a good idea to state which currency you're talking in.

In our case, it's Canadian funds.[/color]

Also, for those that have Splash Gaurds installed by the Dealer, remember the hourly rates may be different from Dealer to Dealer.

I believe our Dealer charges $99/hour labour rates.[/color]

EDIT: just noticed RIT333 posted

RIT333 said:
Doesn't seem like the cost for the guards themselves is all that different. It is the installation cost that is way different.
Thanks RIT333.

#4 ·
gearhead said:
Good thread, TerrainGirl!

Couple things to remember...
We're dealing with 2 different currencies in this thread (I think LOL) so may be a good idea to state which currency you're talking in.

In our case, it's Canadian funds.[/color]

Also, for those that have Splash Gaurds installed by the Dealer, remember the hourly rates may be different from Dealer to Dealer.

I believe our Dealer charges $99/hour labour rates.[/color]

EDIT: just noticed RIT333 posted

Thanks RIT333.
Gearhead - Thanks for the clarity, I actually posted CDN after price in hopes of denoting it was CDN dollars....I was unclear on the others and figured someone would correct the price.

Interesting though there still is some disparity between the prices regardless of currency.

#5 ·
The cost of the parts should be the same from dealer to dealer, after that, it's simply a matter of what kind of mark-up any given dealer chooses to apply.
While a manufacturer can have a MSRP, retailers are still free to set whatever price they feel the local market will support.
If GM tried to force all dealers to sell all accessories for a set price they would most likely find themselves in some sort of antitrust/price fixxing investigation.

#6 ·
GMCdriver said:
The cost of the parts should be the same from dealer to dealer, after that, it's simply a matter of what kind of mark-up any given dealer chooses to apply.
While a manufacturer can have a MSRP, retailers are still free to set whatever price they feel the local market will support.
If GM tried to force all dealers to sell all accessories for a set price they would most likely find themselves in some sort of antitrust/price fixxing investigation.
Actually that is true in Canada, however in the U.S. there are different laws around MSRP, it was interesting just to see the price disparity, as I said before, and I am actually surprised in the U.S. they don't set the price to what it should be.

#7 ·
I'm pretty sure that price fixing is covered under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in the US.
The laws on this subject are very similar between Canada and the US.
If GM told dealers that they are not allowed to set their own priceing freely to meet their own market's competitive needs then GM would leave themselves wide open for a trip to court.

#8 ·
Does anyone have the instructions for them?

MIne came with a sheet of paper that said you can look on accessory zone for instructions. I did to no avail.

#9 ·
GMCdriver said:
I'm pretty sure that price fixing is covered under section 1 of the Sherman Antitrust Act in the US.
The laws on this subject are very similar between Canada and the US.
If GM told dealers that they are not allowed to set their own priceing freely to meet their own market's competitive needs then GM would leave themselves wide open for a trip to court.
You are correct in some regards, however there is a separate area that refers to off pricing of MSRP, if the retailer signs up for the product they agree not to heavily discount the item. I would have to go and investigate the "act" again that refers to it, but it is to protect manufacturer's from retailers destroying market pricing.

None the less, I wasn't referring to price fixing as such, but rather another area, I don't have the information to support it right now, and like I said I would have to go and find it.

However we have strayed from the original topic, so I will get it back on line.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I see in a post above someone is looking for instructions, anyone have some they could post in here also?

Any new pricing anyone has received?

Cheers
TG

#12 ·
Drilling? This is what I was trying to ascertain before... I was told multiple times that these things fit on using existing fastener/fasterer locations.

Mudguards are definitely out of the picture for me at this point.

#13 ·
SnowItch said:
The instructions do call for drilling pilot holes. I don't believe that you are drilling into metal, but I will let you know when I install.

I'll have to find the earlier post where someone stated that you didn't have to drill.
SnowItch - Let us know how you make out! Pictures of the install would be great also!

Thanks,

TG

#14 ·
SnowItch said:
There is another thread going on the splashguards

http://www.equinoxforum.net/index.php?topic=177.0;topicseen

Someone just posted a question about drilling into metal.

NYJoe, would it make sense to merge the threads?
Actually I broke the threads out because it seemed the other thread was highjacked from it's original intent by the OP. Was trying to keep a thread separate on the splash guards.

#15 ·
SnowItch said:
The instructions do call for drilling pilot holes. I don't believe that you are drilling into metal, but I will let you know when I install.

I'll have to find the earlier post where someone stated that you didn't have to drill.
Do you have a copy of instructions? Can you make them into a PDF? MIne didnt come with any.

#16 ·
#17 ·
SnowItch said:
NY_Joe,

Did you find the instruction .pdf's?

How many inches of the white stuff did you get?
I didn't see them posted before. Very busy today so I didn;t look back inthe thread.

We got about 10 inches.

#18 ·
#19 ·
SnowItch said:
I have not :mad: Hope to next weekend.
The directions you gave do not match up to what is physically there.

I was at a loss on Sunday.

#20 ·
^ Could you not have just edited your previous post instead of posting three separate times?

In other forums you would be labelled a "post wh*re". It's a term for those who constantly post just for the sake of increasing their post count.

I do, however, hope you get your mudflap issue sorted.

#21 ·
My Dealer threw them in for Free..but has to order..Will pickup my Terrain at my house..leave a loaner..then bring back with fuel topped off that he used...Real nice Dealership........

#22 ·
SnowItch said:
Sorry about that. Since I can't go back and edit my earlier post, I'll summarize here.

I ordered part #19170499 from Auto Parts Cheaper.

That is the same part # as offered by gmaccessorieszone.com

The box from Auto Parts Cheaper has a 19170499 label on it.

Comparing the parts shown on-screen at gmaccessorieszone.com with what was in the box, they appear to be the same.

Looking at the instructions, the part numbers listed on the instruction sheets, I believe is just for the instruction sheet (I'm not sure of this, but when I search for the number listed on the sheet on several sites, I don't get any matches).

So, it appears that either:

1. I was sent the wrong instructions with the right part.

or

2. The instructions have their own part number and they are the correct instructions.

or

3. The instructions are for an Equinox, and the instructions for a Terrain are different.

or

4. The wrong parts and instructions where in the right box.

or

5. I'm an a$$ and drew up a set of bad instructions just to piss people off.

Update: I'm thinking its 3. Just looked at the same place where I bought my Splash Guards and the part # for a Terrain are different than for a Nox. I did not think of that because the vehicles are so similar.

Nox: http://www.autopartscheaper.com/product_p/19170499.htm

Terrain: http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2010_2011_GMC_Terrain_4_Piece_splash_mud_guard_kit_p/19170503.htm

Visually, compared side-by-side, they appear to be the same. Auto Parts Cheaper doesn't show the reverse side, so I'm curious if their version has the GMC logo in Red. They are supposed to be the factory parts, so I am assuming that they do.

Giving it further thought, the one place they do differ significantly is the fenders - right where the Splash guards were being installed.

I apologize that the instructions were wrong ones for your vehicle. Not that it helps you, but I went back and edited my earlier posts with the .pdfs and stated they were for the Equinox only.

Did you get them installed anyway?
Listen ya *****, stop giving me bad info. LOL!!!

No, back in the box they went until I secure directions.

#23 ·
Well, just wanted to revisit this thread.

I had off today and after staying on hold with India for 2 hrs, I needed to get out. I went to my dealer and visited the parts dept and service dept. I asked for instructions and got nothing. The partsguy knew nothing. Wewent and got a service guy.

He assessed and came up with an installation method sans instructions. I am going to attempt this weekend if it is warm enough. I will document as well.

Basically, you have to pull all the mounting clips and bases out. This allows you to move the inner liner away from the fender and give you access to the sheetmetal.You can then slide the mounting clips over the holes and securethe flap.

It ismuch easier to explain with pics.

#24 ·
I wish now I would have saved my instruction sheets. A little logic goes a long way when installing them. I pulled the wheels when I did mine and Im not sure you can install them without having to do that. The instructions did mention that the air temp should be 60 degress or higher for the adhesive to hold properly. I heated things up with my wifes hand held hair dryer.

#25 ·
SnowItch said:
Good luck on the install.

You need to update your signature - it is still showing the pin striping as yet to be installed.
Thanks on both counts. I just updated.

#26 ·
TerryG said:
I wish now I would have saved my instruction sheets. A little logic goes a long way when installing them. I pulled the wheels when I did mine and Im not sure you can install them without having to do that. The instructions did mention that the air temp should be 60 degress or higher for the adhesive to hold properly. I heated things up with my wifes hand held hair dryer.
MIne never came with instruction. Just a sheet of where to find instructions that doesn't exist.

I guess I am illogical.

Not sure if you need to pull the wheel. If you can get an angled head for the screwdriver you might be OK.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.