GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 Equinox, not sure if year matters here or not, but.......

I am thinking about swapping out my factory speakers for better speakers. (doors, and dash). If I do this, I would be keeping the factory stereo in place, and no amplifiers will be used. Just a one for one speaker swap. I don't think I'd like to do this if the sound quality does not improve.

Has anyone else ever done this? If anyone has, was the sound quality any better since an amplifier was not installed?
Anyone care to share their experience with this?

·
Registered
69 Posts
The most common problem with this is the new speakers will be harder to drive (require a more powerful amp) than the factory ones and you won't get as much volume from them. There are a number of reasons for this and I won't get into the details but that's been my experience. A lot of engineering goes into those OEM stereos and replacing them is a one shot deal so you should go all out and add new amps too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
There is no audiophile engineering in the factory speakers. Even the Bose are just cheap paper speakers. Unless you like the Bose definition of good sound (tons of over amplified base and crackling highs) they are garbage.

I swapped out the door speakers with Focals the dash speakers with JL Audio and added two Rockville silk dome tweeters to the top of the rear doors. Also added a layer of sound deadening insulation in the doors.

Now the system sounds half way decent. Not quite as loud as as the lighter paper speakers but now I can hear the individual instruments instead of a muddled booming mess. The sound now surrounds me instead of just coming out of the center of the dash.

Only big problem is mounting the speakers. Nothing is standard so expect to put in about 24 hours of drilling cutting and dremel work. You basically need to destroy the factory speakers and modify the mounts to fit standard speakers.

The factory amplifier is pretty good and at full volume my ears just start to hurt slightly. I have heard better and more powerful, but the speakers made the sound improvement I was looking for.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What I did was a lot of work but if you want the best bang for you buck do these two things.

-Install a good set of silk dome tweeters on the back doors (top front corners) this will feed good clean highs close to your ears.

-Line the front doors (between the inner metal panel and plastic panel) with sound damping material. This will clean up the buzzing and rattling caused by the base. I found the Aluminum backed pipe wrap you get at the hardware store has dense foam and a sticky back that works good. Just stick it to inner metal panels. (While you have the back doors apart line them too but they don't add much base)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow.....so much for a one for one swap and being happy with the results (ha ha)

Now, can I justify doing this? Certainly makes me re-think.

thanks for the input guys

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 equinox with the six speaker setup and dislike the speakers hollow sound. Was wondering if anyone here knew what size speakers are in the front and rea doors as well as the two tweeters in the dash?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Go to crutchfield they have the sizes there. Regarding Bose and bass that was years ago. My system in my Terrain Denali sounds great. The base system could possibly sound better with upgraded speakers. Even the bose i guess could sound better with more expensive speakers but i feel no need to do that.

·
Registered
2018 Equinox Premier TD
10 Posts
When I bought my '18 Premier Diesel, I am a little disappointed with the Bose set up. Sure, its deep but not spatial. My mother's minivan's Infinity set up sounds better although there are more speakers and it extends to the back. I miss that 'concert hall' experience in my Equinox. I'm not tech handy to do what is suggested above.

·
Registered
2019 Equinox LT
1 Posts
I swapped out the front and rear door speakers and they sound clearer. They have more bass without distortion like the factory speakers have above a certain volume. Unfortunately at the time, Crutchfield only showed the 2-3/4 kenwood speakers for the midrange dash speakers that have to be spliced and not much of an improvement spec wise. Here is what I used:

Front: JBL Concert Series 9631F 6" x 9" 3-Way Speakers Item #109CT9631 & Metra 82-3004 Speaker Brkt GM Truck 2014-up for 6"x9" Item #120823004

Rear: JBL Concert Series 631F 6-1/2" 3-Way Speakers Item #109CT631 & GM SAPs 6.5"/6.75" Chevy 06-Up Item #142SMH634B

1 - 10 of 10 Posts