GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my Terrain back in Dec. 2009 and have never really cranked the stereo too loud, but I am now noticing a lot of rattle from the speakers, especially the front doors. Anyboby else having similar problems?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Oh yeah, but that is to be expected when you have a speaker mounted directly to hard plastic. One of these days I'm gonna buy some dynamat and figure out how to remove the door panels..

·
Registered
142 Posts
Funny you should mention a rattle with loud music. I washed my car by hand couple weeks ago. Then i cranked up the music while i dried it. you could hear a rattle from outside of car on passenger side front. can't hear it from inside the vehicle but only from outside. sounds like something loose in the door.

i don't plan to take door apart to figure it out. just going to ignore it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I try to ignore it, but since it is the front doors, it is very noticeable. Is it worth having the dealer take the doors apart to possibly make more rattles?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
onyxslt1 said:
I try to ignore it, but since it is the front doors, it is very noticeable. Is it worth having the dealer take the doors apart to possibly make more rattles?
Probably not worth it unless there really is something loose in there. Is it actually a rattle of more of a buzzing/vibration sound?

·
Registered
142 Posts
my opinion re is it worth it to have them take door apart: nnnnnoooooooooo....they would probably loosen something else up...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NoobNox said:
Probably not worth it unless there really is something loose in there. Is it actually a rattle of more of a buzzing/vibration sound?
It is a little bit of both, I am going to try and track down the areas and see if there is anything I can do myself.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I noticed a rattle coming from my front right(passanger door) speaker, it got noticably worse when I turned the music up and would go away at lower volumes.
I had a free afternoon a few weeks ago so I decided to see if I could track down the cause, turns out the was a penny sitting in the door pocket that was causing the noise, all fixed now and didn't have to take the door apart.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
GMCdriver said:
I noticed a rattle coming from my front right(passanger door) speaker, it got noticably worse when I turned the music up and would go away at lower volumes.
I had a free afternoon a few weeks ago so I decided to see if I could track down the cause, turns out the was a penny sitting in the door pocket that was causing the noise, all fixed now and didn't have to take the door apart.
Didn't Ben Franklin say "A penny saved, is a noise heard" - or something like that.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I, too, experience a rattle coming from the driver's side door at medium to higher volume levels (bass filled music) - and notice if I press my leg against the door panel, the noise goes away. On the one hand, it's a minor nuisance having "any" rattles on a new vehicle barely 700 miles old, but on the other hand, it's nice to know exactly where said rattle is coming from and how (if I chose to) eliminate it. Coming from my last vehicle whereby I dynamated the entire car to get a rattle-free mustang with all the equipment I had going, I plan on keeping this ride completely stock and may run a very very thin line of weather stripping along the bottom of the door panel (totally unnoticeable) to kill the noise without removing the panel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I plan on keeping this ride completely stock and may run a very very thin line of weather stripping along the bottom of the door panel (totally unnoticeable) to kill the noise without removing the panel.
Is this to reduce road noise?

What kind of weather stripping would you use and where would you put it?

·
Registered
368 Posts
"I, too, experience a rattle coming from the driver's side door at medium to higher volume levels (bass filled music) - and notice if I press my leg against the door panel, the noise goes away...."

I've noticed this too.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
TerrainLem said:
I, too, experience a rattle coming from the driver's side door at medium to higher volume levels (bass filled music) - and notice if I press my leg against the door panel, the noise goes away. On the one hand, it's a minor nuisance having "any" rattles on a new vehicle barely 700 miles old, but on the other hand, it's nice to know exactly where said rattle is coming from and how (if I chose to) eliminate it. Coming from my last vehicle whereby I dynamated the entire car to get a rattle-free mustang with all the equipment I had going, I plan on keeping this ride completely stock and may run a very very thin line of weather stripping along the bottom of the door panel (totally unnoticeable) to kill the noise without removing the panel.
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. In order to do so, I will need the VIN for the vehicle as well as the current mileage. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding the fix. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
341 Posts
drummerjohn said:
Is this to reduce road noise?

What kind of weather stripping would you use and where would you put it?
So it'd basically be a very thin and long piece of rubber that would go between the plastic door panel and the metal itself. The rattle is caused by the vibration of these two components (plastic door panel up against metal frame) - the thin rubber lining would provide just enough separation so that there would be no interaction between metal and plastic (on the lower half of the panel). It is also a kluged solution since ideally, one would want to remove the panel and apply some sort of sound deadening material - however, knowing my luck, I'm likely to break a plastic clip or fastener removing the panel - better yet, fix one rattle and cause another :)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
I would be happy to look into this for you as well. In order to do so, I will need the VIN for the vehicle as well as the current mileage. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding the fix. Thank you.

Hi Tricia,

No worries, it's a common occurrence with plastic door panels and could be hit or miss from car to car. The main thing for me is KNOWING (sorry for caps) where the rattle is coming from and being able to do something about it if I choose to. The worst rattles are those you can't isolate or figure out how to get rid of.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
TerrainLem said:
Hi Tricia,

No worries, it's a common occurrence with plastic door panels and could be hit or miss from car to car. The main thing for me is KNOWING (sorry for caps) where the rattle is coming from and being able to do something about it if I choose to. The worst rattles are those you can't isolate or figure out how to get rid of.
Thank you for the response. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding the situation.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have noticed a door rattle on both of my back door panels. When I press up against the door handles, the rattle goes away. Can't really see anywhere to tighten them so I am a bit at a loss. Even when music is not that loud, I can hear the rattle. Any ideas what I can try to make this stop?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
The problem is probably with the speaker. I had a similar rattle sound with bass heavy tracks. Dealer replaced the speaker under warranty.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts