GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, does anyone know the proper spark plug torque (lb. ft.) for the 2018 Equinox with the 1.5L engine? It uses AC Delco 41-153 plugs. Pep boys recommends 7-15 lb.ft. for 14mm tapered seat plugs or 1/16 turn (snug) and 15-20 lb. ft. for 18mm tapered seat plugs or 1?16 turn (snug). I'm not sur if the plug is 14mm or 18mm. I don't want to replace them but only inspect their condition and also to apply a very small amount of anti-seize compound on the threads to ease futur removal.

Phil

·
Registered
9,939 Posts
I am not sure about the spark plug, but before you add no-seize to the thread, make sure it is recommended. When you torque them, you can wind up with over-tightening the plugs and possibly damage the threads.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What's the severe duty maintenance sched. for the plugs ? If close on mileage I'd just replace them using anti-seize as I believe the turbo motors have a way shorter plug life than NA motors and many more sets will be going in/out.
15 -20 ft. lbs. is not a lot of torque at all so if not experienced changing plugs I'd get a torque wrench to learn how tight things really are. Aluminum heads always do the plugs on a cold motor. Those are 14mm.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Spark Plug

17 Y  (13 lb ft)

Component Fastener Tightening Caution

Caution: Replacement components must be the correct part number forthe application. Components requiring the use of the thread lockingcompound, lubricants, corrosion inhibitors, or sealants areidentified in the service procedure. Some replacement componentsmay come with these coatings already applied. Do not use thesecoatings on components unless specified. These coatings can affectthe final torque, which may affect the operation of the component.Use the correct torque specification when installing components inorder to avoid damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts