GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Do you carry in your cargo area a spare jug of windshield washer fluid in the winter time in case yo

• This doesn't really apply to me because I'm in the south and don't experience bad winters...but I li

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm in a snow belt but never carry spare windshield washer fluid, why would I?

• I'm in a snow and don't carry any extra windshield fluid, but now that you mention it, maybe I shoul

• Yes, I always have a spare bottle in the cargo area. Would hate to run out and get raped paying top

• I live in the south...but if I lived in a snow belt I would carry a spare jug in the winter!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so there's been an argument going on in another post about carrying a spare jug of windshield fluid in the winter and I mentioned that if GM made that pocket on the right rear panel in the cargo area just 10mm wider it would hold a standard jug of winshield washer fluid.

So, lets see if anyone else really does carry a spare jug. I do..and they sell the jug holders in Walmart and other stores so I assume carrying extra wwfluid is more common than people think.

Vote and let's see ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way, I mean the standard rectangular kind, not the round ones that may be more common in other regions.

a 10mm wider pocket would fit this standard jug and save room on the cargo floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
239 Posts
I carry a bottle with me during the start of winter before every thing freezes up nice & solid and then again in the spring time when it all gets slushy and messy for a few weeks before the roads clear up.
I also tend to throw a bottle back there when I'm going for a road trip during heavy bug season. I would spend 5 bucks at a gas station if I needed to but there have been too many times where finding an open gas station after dark isn't even going to happen. I go to concerts in Saskatoon from time to time and it's just under 200 miles each way with only 2 places to stop for anything along the way there and nothing open after 10:00 for stops on the way back.

·
Registered
441 Posts
you know my vote ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Dear god. The car warns you when you are low. Unless you are spraying it every minute you will have plenty left for when you get home to put in the car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe it's just your driving patterns or region you live in but for a lot of us that have long commutes to work or take road trips often you can easily burn through the remainder after the warning light comes on.

With a light flurry and all the salt on the road...yes, you can be clearing the windshield every couple minutes. Another thing too is that a lot of people might not have access to a convenient garage where it's sitting right there. If your extra fluid is stored in the basement or maybe up on the 12th floor of your apartment building and you forget it when you go out to work the next day wouldn't it be easier to just grab the reserve out of the trunk rather than go back inside or up the elevator to the 12th floor?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Or use the cargo netting. :D

Nah, seriously, I do see the point but I dont see this happening. Can you imagine if the rear was made to hold everything that you could possibly fit?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
GMdriver, is there that much traffic between your home and Saskatoon that you need more then a full reservoir of fluid? This is just me, I'm not faulting you, but there isn't a person/group that I would travel 200 miles to see. Fortunately I live close to a large city(Chicago) so I don't have to travel far IF I wanted to see a concert.
You're right about not many places being open. When I go to Canada for HOG rallys each year, I'm more worried about running out of gas, so I usually stop at every gas station and fill up because you never know if the next station will be open.

mmarges, I see your side of the argument...makes sense now in that case.

·
Registered
698 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Dear god. The car warns you when you are low.
No, actually the car doesn't.

I'd be worried about the heavy jug becoming a projectile in a collision.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Im pretty sure that ours has warned us because I ignored it for a couple weeks during the summer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, no low washer fluid indicator....all the more reason to carry a spare in case of an emergency.

You you can just snake your fiber optic cable down through the bends of the reservoir neck and look in to check the actual level...and do this every single day...cause how else are you to guage when you're approaching close to empty.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
mmarges said:
...cause how else are you to guage when you're approaching close to empty.
I thought that GTPPrix was working on having the DIC be able to display a "Washer Fluid Miles to Empty" function. LOL

Anyone hear from him on how his mods were coming to the DIC, and when they will be commercial ?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Oh yea, I just ignored that thread.

And I think it was my 03 Golf that actually warned me. I think the wife has told me before that the fluid was low but not sure.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Never carried extra washer fluid with me, and don't know anyone who does. Nothing wrong with those of you who do, but it just seems odd to me since it can take me months before I run out..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you picked choice #1 in the poll. On a 70km commute to work in the north with a light flurry and all the salt accumulation and splattering on your windshield you could easily go through a whole bottle in one trip.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
mmarges said:
So you picked choice #1 in the poll. On a 70km commute to work in the north with a light flurry and all the salt accumulation and splattering on your windshield you could easily go through a whole bottle in one trip.
yeah I did, and I guess that is why I don't go through much washer fluid. I also opted out of the extra expense for AWD since it is so rarely needed in Texas. 4WD is useful for hunting/camping...but AWD for snowy roads and such...not so much.

·
Registered
441 Posts
mmarges said:
are you kidding?!?! i use to drive more then that on my daily commute in PA in a tiny protege, and maybe filled it once a month....

let the snow do the work of cleaning the windshield....

for those americans, thats 43 miles.....so on a 6 hour rd trip i take now once a month, by your estimation you would need 8 gallons of washer fluid?!

in my work truck in the winter time i can easily make it 1500 miles one one fill up of fluid....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
gar187er said:
are you kidding?!?! i use to drive more then that on my daily commute in PA in a tiny protege, and maybe filled it once a month....
let the snow do the work of cleaning the windshield....
for those americans, thats 43 miles.....so on a 6 hour rd trip i take now once a month, by your estimation you would need 8 gallons of washer fluid?!
I was exagerating a little. However; on some days with the concentration of traffic in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) and the amount of road salt they throw down you really can go through 1/2 bottle worth in a single 160km round trip commute to work. Now luckily you don't get light flurries and wet roads every single day. but, I would say on average I can go through a bottle per week during the winter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts