GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone has done anything with their spare tire area on the 2010's and up, even if it is just taking out the foam piece. That foam piece is rather bulky for what little it holds, even though it seems to support the cover over the tire. That space would be great to stow some little things if it could be slightly repurposed.

Even better would be an aftermarket replacement for the foam piece that includes some small storage compartments.

Just thinking outloud...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would not change anything there. Most of the time, a foam piece like that is part of the design for absorbing energy in an accident.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
kain2thebrain said:
Just wondering if anyone has done anything with their spare tire area on the 2010's and up, even if it is just taking out the foam piece. That foam piece is rather bulky for what little it holds, even though it seems to support the cover over the tire. That space would be great to stow some little things if it could be slightly repurposed.

Even better would be an aftermarket replacement for the foam piece that includes some small storage compartments.

Just thinking outloud...

Put a couple water bottles,energy bars and reflective blanket in this area in case ever get stuck somewhere.

Sent from my 6 year old e-machine using typeand spell with dial-up and windows 95

·
Registered
196 Posts
I was also thinking of the waste of space? As the foam is not an integral part of the frame/body, and basically just fully exposed when the rear cover lifts off, I don't not think it would do much for safety as suggested above?

·
Registered
67 Posts
fourmoremarine said:
Sent from my 6 year old e-machine using typeand spell with dial-up and windows 95
ha!
I will take it out as it takes LOTS of space. Washer fluid, small toolbox, a blanket...

If the whole body of the car from latch to driver does not hold, you think that piece of foam will save your ass?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
kain2thebrain said:

Just thinking outloud...

Yes for sure, wish they had designed something for more storage items, that would be real handy, to be able to store items out of sight that you don't normally use everyday.
Your local Car Audio shop (well at least the good ones anyway) have magicians in the back that do custom installs, they would be able to make a fiberglass piece to replace the OEM one with whatever size compartments you'd like.

[/color]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts