GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that listening to a same song through USB and through XM radio, the quality is completely different in terms of how much effect the equalizer has.
With USB, if I set my bass to max, 12, I'd go deaf from all the bass, but with XM radio, at 12 I still do not get same bass as USB song on about 6.

I've tried this with multiple songs - yet to try with Aux input or CD but plan to try that too.

Has anyone notices this?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Its because the signal coming from the USB port say from your ipod is of a better digital quality than from XM(the stream is less lossy).

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess my next test would be to hook up XM through aux in and compare quality, see if it's any different

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm confused. Are you listening to XM through the built in XM tuner or with a FM transmitter? Running XM through the AUX port will actually worsen the quality than what you get with the built in XM tuner. The built in tuner is the best you are going to get XM.

The USB port will give the best, near CD quality sound you can find. You shouldn't be too disappointed in the reduction of quality from USB to XM, that's the best its going to get. You may have a gripe about the quality of the XM tuner though if in fact you have had another tuner that has put out much better sound.

I am not saying that the pioneer system is the best on the market, but it is very good....personally one of the best i have heard on a vehicle that is not a Bose(never heard a B&O). But for comparisons sake, if i were to listen to XM on the stock sound system vs the Pioneer sound system, the Pioneer is going to better show that the XM is of less quality than the iPod is.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using built in xm tuner, but since I don't notice poor audio quality, but rather poorer bass response, I was wondering how it might sound when I listen to same feed through aux.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts