GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the 4 cylinder Ecotech require a "special" socket wrench to access the oil filter cartridge?
Thanks.
:-*

·
Registered
315 Posts
vbgunltd said:
Does the 4 cylinder Ecotech require a "special" socket wrench to access the oil filter cartridge?
Thanks.
:-*
Its recommended to get....Most autoparts store would have one available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, most automotive stores have the socket you need to change the oil filter. They run between $12.00 and $20.00. Just tell them that you have the 4I 2010 Ecotech engine. You could call ahead to make sure they have it. I found that using the special socket with a 3/8" swivel drive with extension makes the job a lot easier.

·
Registered
16 Posts
ccharlie said:
:) I just ordered the Lisle 14700 1 1/4" shallow for $6.94 from Amazon.
That's what I'm using. Perfect fit, and the Amazon price is right. I even got the filters on amazon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And once you have the special socket dont spend a lot of time on your back trying to find the filter like I did. Look from the top down to find it hiding.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
TerryG said:
And once you have the special socket dont spend a lot of time on your back trying to find the filter like I did. Look from the top down to find it hiding.
lol, that is funny only because I did it with my wifes 09 Malibu as well. Same basic engine with the filter in the same spot. Doh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had no problem taking it off with a set of vice grips. Other then its poor placement with terrible room for any leverage, the vice grips worked just fine. I imagine using a ratchet and socket would have the same space restrictions, but I will admit it would have saved me a few curses and minutes.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ohmsford said:
I had no problem taking it off with a set of vice grips. Other then its poor placement with terrible room for any leverage, the vice grips worked just fine. I imagine using a ratchet and socket would have the same space restrictions, but I will admit it would have saved me a few curses and minutes.
Get the Leslie socket so you don't strip the cap. The Leslie socket is cheaper than buying a 1 1/4 socket at Sears

1 - 9 of 9 Posts