GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Theres a reason I Like to do my own oil changes.
My most recent oil change- 98,327 (3/2021)
While youre doing the work you make a little inspection of the undercarriage.
Thats when I found gear lube flung all over the wheel well.
Upon closed inspection something had knicked the CV axle boot.
The CV axle was quiet. No noise.
I pondered replacing the boot only. Cost of boot and work and mess to do it.
Or just get a new CV axle.
Since I was going to replace many major components of the suspension- I decided to replace with a new one.
Ordered all the suspension pieces.
Removing it was fairly easy. Tapping it with a long screwdriver and hammer it slid out. (CA- no rust)
Put the new one in- and that was it. I also replaced control arms and struts.
But the nice thing about it- was that removing the parts-- gave me great access to 2 of the harder to get to Oxygen sensors on the V6... PLUS PLUS- WIN.

the last picture- you can see knicks- on the 1st 3 'ribs' from whatever hit it on the road.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
lower control arm out of the way.
CV axle out of the way.
sway bar end links out of the way
brake/rotor etc out of the way...
I also had removed the sway bar bushings (they too were replaced).

crowsfoot, extensions, and a breaker bar---
this O2 sensor was (now) a breeze.
You can see where the CV axle connects.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
but wait--- theres more!!!
the upper O2 sensor.

With a hint from a thread on here...
I undid the lower PS connector- on the PS pump. the connector was rubber hose to a metal tube. The tube was in the way of the breaker bar. I could have loosened the O2 sensor but when putting your weight into it--I could have bent the hell out of that connector. So I undid it- You can see I a little piece of white paper towel stuffed into the hole- to slow the PS fluid drips.
Once that was out if the way- the breaker bar extended far enough- and me on my back... grab on and pull.... for those that have done O2 sensors---- you know they make that very distinct CRACK when they break loose.
But the harder part was the effn plug for the sensor.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Let us know if your mpg improves with the new O2 sensors. I got 2 mpg back changing the ones in my thirsty Tahoe.

·
Registered
177 Posts
That undercarriage is spotless other than the lube all over the place. Must be nice not living in a snow belt!

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
@rbarrios : That CV boot damage ... is that two punctures that are bridged in between? If so, how does that kind of damage occur on a boot spinning at such a high rate of speed?

Could that have been caused by something hot on the *inside” that melted its way through? The holes look kind of mushroomed - like the rubber melted and cooled off.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes 2 punctures.
If you look at the other 2 pleats? they show damage- like something rubbed against them.

i cleaned up all that grease.
a little bit of simple green.....

rear- new shock and wipe a little of the lower arm.
then wipe some metal pieces.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts