GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Colt Hero said:
But here's the big question: How much extra ($$) has been invested to achieve this look, and how much of that can you get back out when you sell the vehicle?
People don't build cars to get resale value out of it, people build cars because its what they love. It doesn't matter how much resale value you get as long as you love what you're doing and what you've done to it.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Alburnek said:
People don't build cars to get resale value out of it, people build cars because its what they love. It doesn't matter how much resale value you get as long as you love what you're doing and what you've done to it.
Exactly - I always felt that you should now try to cost justify your passion/hobby. Otherwise, you would just bury your head in the sand, and never do anything in life. IMHO

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Cost justifying a love a hobby. How much do spend on your wife or girlfriend? How much will you lose when you trade them in for a newer model?? Lmao

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
Once again - you guys make me laugh. I ask a simple, objective question regarding cost and you all go defensive on me in order to avoid giving an answer.

Is it a security thing? You don't want to give out the number for fear of being a target for theft? I could almost understand that, but then there's all the pictures and promotion ... so I don't think that's what it is.

This is what I think it is: you guys are afraid of the negative feedback you might get. Is that what it is?

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Id guess he's double the cost of the vehicle if you count his time. Nice to have a project, though. I get It.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Colt Hero said:
Once again - you guys make me laugh. I ask a simple, objective question regarding cost and you all go defensive on me in order to avoid giving an answer.

Is it a security thing? You don't want to give out the number for fear of being a target for theft? I could almost understand that, but then there's all the pictures and promotion ... so I don't think that's what it is.

This is what I think it is: you guys are afraid of the negative feedback you might get. Is that what it is?
I think it is more the way you asked it - "But here's the big question: How much extra ($$) has been invested to achieve this look, and how much of that can you get back out when you sell the vehicle? "

In my mind, you wanted the guy to say that he spent $X on the upgrade, and that he only expects to get .5X when he re-sells it, and then you could gloat and say "I told you so". And, everyone was saying that it was none of anyone's business because OP had fun, and is proud of what he has done. Apparently he has enough money do do these type of projects, and he didn't have to rob a bank to do it, so let him have some fun. If I told people how much money I spent on bowling over the years, people would roll their eyes and say that I am crazy, but I think else wise.

I may be 100% wrong with my interpretation of what is happening, but it is my opinion.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Trolls will be trolls, bro. Don't even sweat the negativity. People that refuse to see and share the same enthusiasm as you, will NEVER see eye to eye in anything you do to your car. Let them say their business - cause at the end of the day...you'll never get through to the stubbornness that shelters their closed mind.

Dune - rig looks good, man
I'm SO Glad someone finally went this route. If you can see from my previous posts - I've been trying to get info here on accomplishing the same thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
looks really good. like the blacked out treatment. how well is the dip holding up to washing and bugs and stones. been thinking of doing some dip work on my nox to make it set apart from the crowd. seems like you had a blast doing it, and r proud of the results. thats all that counts. thinking about it, if i did a knox like that it would look like a baby grave digger... :D. now that would be the fast track to divorce court.... >:D but fun on the way. thank God im mechanically declined.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yeah had I actually spent the money on labor and not did the work myself I would've probably paid double. And I still have kinks to work out with the setup so that's why I haven't posted specs and info as of yet. Once it's 100% I'll actually post most of the info so others can follow suit. I'll say this much because I definitely had help from manufacturers on this project....

PIAA lighting makes an absolute top notch product
GoRhino has a great product and great styling
Magnaflow is probably the best manufacture of exhaust systems out there
Powerstop brakes has an amazing product and is definitely needed with the larger tires and more weight added
Power acoustik is very reasonably priced equipment and hold their own against the high dollar brands
I have never ran a tire better than TOYO to date. Every time I have them it's nothing but good reviews and I've ran almost every brand
MKW wheels have never let me down and finish and fitment are always perfect
EG Classics has a superb fit and finish for the grille
AMI sales makes great billet accessories. The GMC logos are perfection
DrawTite hitches are perfect fitment are far superior to factory
Fox racing shocks in the rear fit and ride amazing even though I'll never put the, to their full potential
Weathertech floor mats fit perfect and look great and their window guards hold the same level of workmanship

My headliner still needs to be done but the product I have from www.yourautotrim.com is superb and I used it on my subwoofer box

The custom wrap will be done within days as well and I can tell you when it comes to vinyl Avery-Dennison Makes a great product.

I will be getting custom tuning soon because my wheel sensors aren't picking up because of the different revs per mile and so on. And I can feel a loss in power and my speedo is off.

But back to the argument that had begun.... The amount of money put into customizing a vehicle is never measured in monetary return. It's measured in compliments and smiles and turned heads. I don't care what the cost of parts is. I love when someone stops me and asks me what it is or what I have done or just say great job It's the love of making it my own and not the cookie cutter vehicle sitting on 500 lots in the state

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
It was a simple question. That's all. Forget it. I'll figure it out myself, thanks.

You know ... sometimes I wish I knew some of you guys better because it would probably help to explain your behavior and the things you write.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Dunesrunner08 said:
But back to the argument that had begun.... The amount of money put into customizing a vehicle is never measured in monetary return. It's measured in compliments and smiles and turned heads. I don't care what the cost of parts is. I love when someone stops me and asks me what it is or what I have done or just say great job It's the love of making it my own and not the cookie cutter vehicle sitting on 500 lots in the state
Well said ! Enjoy YOUR ride. You will have no trouble finding it in a parking lot...for more ways than one (height and uniqueness) - except for all of the people that are standing around it and drooling !

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Lmao. Here I'll help you out. We're all jackasses and just enjoy messing with people.

When I turn around to sell it I will probably lose all the money I put into it. Only a few times have I made money off vehicles I've customized in the past. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
kb3tzt said:
looks really good. like the blacked out treatment. how well is the dip holding up to washing and bugs and stones. been thinking of doing some dip work on my nox to make it set apart from the crowd. seems like you had a blast doing it, and r proud of the results. thats all that counts. thinking about it, if i did a knox like that it would look like a baby grave digger... :D. now that would be the fast track to divorce court.... >:D but fun on the way. thank God im mechanically declined.

And I dont "dip". I had it professionally painted to match. I'm not a fan of plastidip to be honest.

·
Registered
10,170 Posts
Colt Hero said:
It was a simple question. That's all. Forget it. I'll figure it out myself, thanks.

You know ... sometimes I wish I knew some of you guys better because it would probably help to explain your behavior and the things you write.
Your cost/value question regarding his project is similar to when someone in the Northeast puts a swimming pool in their house. A pool costs a lot of money, and it may be a negative for most buyers when you are trying to sell your house...but to some, it may be a big plus. OP is probably is limiting his resale audience, but like swimming on a hot day, he is enjoying his ride just about every day.

Myself, his vehicle is not for me, but I also do not have a swimming pool !

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Rit said:
Exactly - I always felt that you should now try to cost justify your passion/hobby. Otherwise, you would just bury your head in the sand, and never do anything in life. IMHO
Alburnek said:
Plus 3.....

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well, I way I look at it is, if you are a car person/gearhead you get it. If not then you are just a passenger. ;D
I get it, is this what I would have done, no, but what Dune has done is very cool and one of a kind.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I need to start a thread on modded terrains and nox's to see what everyone else has done

21 - 40 of 54 Posts