GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

· Registered
96 Posts
Using premium gas in the 2.0 is not mandatory - according to my owner's manual. I've used regular occasionally and have never noticed any difference in operation.
I've tried both in mine, I get premium most of the time but I can't always find it when traveling. What I've noticed is there is a tiny reduction in power with regular but not anything most people would notice. I do get better gas mileage with regular. It's like the computer tunes the engine to use more with premium. On a long trip I can get 30 mpg in ideal conditions with regular and only 29 mpg with premium gas.

· Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
105 Posts
The dealer told me these starters went through severe testing in the order of a million starts on multiple units before they deployed the technology. I'm sure they wouldn't be making up stories just to appease me :ROFLMAO:
If what they told you is true, it only proves they have the ability to make quality parts but refuse to produce these and install across all models.

· Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Have we gotten derailed from the original purpose of this thread ?
Don't we usually get derailed? :) Very informative conversations.

Picking up my new 2023 Equinox LT tomorrow and dropping off my 2016 3.6 Equinox. Should have sold the Equinox a year ago when the used vehicle buyers like Carmax were paying a few thousand more. The best online offer I had was $14,400. Dealer allowed close to $2000 more. Scheduled a hitch install at a U-Haul facility in a couple of weeks. Self install is doable for two guys and a struggle for one guy on his own in getting the hitch up and over the exhaust. Thanks again guys.

· Registered
2018 AWD LT2 2.0T
231 Posts
A 3cyl in the Equinox would just be unfortunate. There are only 2 other vehicles in the Equinox's segment with a 3cyl. The Escape and the Rogue. They have 181hp and 201hp respectively. The 1.3L GM powerplant generates 155hp. The current 1.5L 4cyl delivers 170, so GM really cannot afford to further reduce power on the Equinox.

Honestly, if they do go 3cyl on the Equinox (which I really don't see happening), the Rogue would just be that much better of an option. Nicer interior, more power.
I'm sure if they did a torque & hp increase is in tuning these days. Watching Street Owtlaws it blows me how much change can happen by just a changing computer settings.
My TB hauls butt for what it is. But the 30+ mpg is nice. My wife took it to 114 mph and it was still going. So that's plenty fast enough. Figure over 50 hp per cyl. not bad.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts