GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..only have about 200 miles on the new Terrain..The weather has sucked the last 2 days with even a tornadoe about 25 miles from me so I haven't had time to take any pics just drive it abit..try out the Nav and loving the "XM" especially the station Custom Vinyl..

Anyone use their Navigating system..I tried it on a route i used to use with Garmin and when coming hm took me to many wrong streets..Is it better or has anyone noticed the best like Fastest..Shortest..or Easiest?? Mabe thats where I am going wrong..

Oh boy I even learned the PSI tire redo by accident..Kinda complicated...to sysnc the wheels with the PSI Sensors..I hit redo by mistake..Not a good idea but 1 more thing I figured out..

So far This is the Best vehicle I have ever had if it continues to perform like it is..I have no regrets getting the I4..Is pepe enough when I have to give it the gas and runs very smooth..I kept hearing wind coming I thought from the Moon roof but stupid me it was one of the back windows not closed all the way..I hope everyonelse is enjoying their Ride as much as I am....Thanks

·
Registered
163 Posts
My Nox does not have Nav but we have used Garmins for several years using the on road navigation. Not sure what options yours offers for choices but with our Garmins we can choose between fastest and shortest route. If you have the option to review each before heading to a destination it can be helpful. Shortest MAY take you the shortest BUT may take you down a street with 166 stop signs. Fastest MAY take you 6 miles out of your way to save you 3 minutes over the shortest option. You should play around with both to fully understand what Im trying to say. We have experienced glitches in the software but rarely. Have fun with it because when it works right its fun.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK thanks for the Info........

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I too just bought a Terrain and found that the nav wanted me to go a different route to work then the one I usully take. I don't think the nav takes in consideration of rush hour and other traffic patterns, because it's the worst route to work.

So far there are only 2 dislikes.
1. The drivers door doesn't stay open unless i open it all the way, which in some cases is not possible. My other cars doors would stay open half way and all the way open.
2. the push buttons on the remote start. It is very hard to feel if you have energized the buttons command. The remote I had for the Aztek you could feel the buttond depress. It would also show a LED light and make a little chirping sound.

Not real big dislikes, I'm sure I will get accustomed to them. Still love my "Train" ---that's what everyone thinks I'm saying. ;D

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I know the lights on the car flash you can even program the horn to beep, but that doesn't help me in my office on the second floor where I can't see the car. I would have to walk all the way down to the exit to see if it worked...a real pain in the a$$. My old transmitter had an LED light and a beep-beep sound to let me know I energized a particular button.... which you could actually FEEL being depressed.

This remote gives no indication whatsoever that the signal was actually sent.......unless you are near the car and can see or hear it, which 90% of the time I'm not.

IMHO a very bad design.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I too dont have a NAV system in my Terrain, but my Garmin often likes to take me on weird routes. I think its just a GPS thing... Humans are smarter than the Computer, remember that.
My Garmin sometimes takes me on wild rides, but it REALLY likes to make me take a right turn on Road A, then make a u-turn on Road B, then go past Road A again... when I could just as easily have taken a LEFT on ROAD A!!
When it comes to GPSs, I have discovered that you really have to look ahead of the computer and make corrections when necessary.

I love my new Terrain too! :) Glad that you like yours too! :)
My biggest gripe about my Terrain though is that I cannot see my blind spots :(
The pillars that separate the front and rear windows is so wide that I cannot see out the rear windows when I turn my head to check for cars riding beside me.
Tomorrow, I am going to buy some of those blind spot detector mirrors from AutoZone that stick onto your side view mirrors. Hopefully that will help. I just dont want to merge over on someone and cause an accident with my brand new car :/

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
NT110 said:
My biggest gripe about my Terrain though is that I cannot see my blind spots :(
The pillars that separate the front and rear windows is so wide that I cannot see out the rear windows when I turn my head to check for cars riding beside me.
Tomorrow, I am going to buy some of those blind spot detector mirrors from AutoZone that stick onto your side view mirrors. Hopefully that will help. I just dont want to merge over on someone and cause an accident with my brand new car :/
Adjust your mirrors correctly and you will be fine! I know it sounds crazy but this site has great pictures to illistrate the directions. It takes about a week to get used to it but once you do, you literally dont have to check "blind spots" because they are gone.

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
My driver's side front door has 4 positions : Full Open, 2/3 open, 1/3 open, and Full closed. I suppose we could stretch it to 5 positions, the 5th being "almost closed", if I don't slam it hard enough !

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
SnowItch, yes I start my car from my office on the 2nd floor, half way back in the building. This was an aftermarket remote(AstroStart). The Aztek was the 3rd car I had it installed in. It had the longest range of any remote I ever saw. One button press for any function, with a beep and a light to show you actually initiated something.
Was going to get one for the Terrain, but had second thoughts because of all the electronics and computors and being a new model, I figured that I didn't want to mess anything up and hoped that the factory remote start would be as good. Now I wish I had gotten the other one.
I just can't get use to pressing a hard piece of plastic and not have any feedback. So far I have had 4 misfires(not starting) so it's kinda discuraging. I'm getting gunshy.
You are right about the door, but for me it's not quite half way-or maybe it is, but it seems like it doesn't have a big enough detent to hold it, because unless you hold it there for a few seconds , it will come back on you. It might help if I move the seat as far back as possible.
Of course it may all be my high expectations compared to my Aztek, so I will have to get use to the new cars foilbles.
Anyway....I still like the Terrain a lot.

RIT333.....lol on 5th position. Mine basically has only the 2.

·
Registered
446 Posts
For the remote problems, I'm getting one of these installed on my Traverse this week: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?action=gallery&g2_itemId=7130

I hope they make one for our 'Nox soon. Really should make a big difference on distance and feedback.

On the blind spot, all SUV/CUV vehicles have a much larger blind spot than a normal car. It's just normal for the design of these vehicles. GM put fish eye mirrors inset into the standard side mirrors on the Traverse, I was surprised they didn't do it on the 'Nox. Anyway, we fixed that by installing our own small fish eye. Makes a world of difference...

·
Registered
635 Posts
The aftermarket one is nice with the feedback but the factory remote start will flash the lights on the vehicle on a successfull start. So if you are looking out of your window and you can see the lights you get feedback.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I don't have a window. 90% of the times I use my remote, I can't see the car. That's the whole difference between the AstroStart and the factory transmitter. The AstroStart will flash the lights/beep the horn to, if I program it that way. It also started the car for 5 minutes everytime half hour when the temps got below 0 degrees. That was a great feature to have when the temps ever got to 0 or below. Especially in the mornings. Of course now I have heated seats so I'm good to go. ;D

·
Registered
93 Posts
GARYD said:
SnowItch, yes I start my car from my office on the 2nd floor, half way back in the building.
Same here. Even though I can usually see the vehicle from my 2nd floor office window, no feedback that the command was accepted is a first I've seen on remote start, even my 7 year old Clifford alarm has this. Also I've found that the command to lock/unlock the doors works much farther than the command to start the vehicle.

KJ

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Thanks noncom, I was beginning to think I was the only one that had a transmitter that gave you feedback when used.
When I got to my car tonight it was running, so I know it has about the same range as my old remote, but sometimes when I get to my car it isn't running. That's why feedback is so important to me. Luckily the weather is getting warmer so it's not that much of a problem if the car isn't running by the time I get there. Well, I've got to live with it, since there's nothing that can be done to the transmitter.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts