GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all of us in the NorthEast, it was quite a blizzard yesterday. I had to drive about 90 miles in the snow, much of it through some pretty winding hills. My FWD terrain handled fantastically well. The snow was coming down hard and wind was howling but the car stayed glued to the road amazingly well.

·
Registered
10,237 Posts
What size, and type of tires do you have ? Would you recommend against buying snow tires ? Where do you live ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
freeness said:
For all of us in the NorthEast, it was quite a blizzard yesterday. I had to drive about 90 miles in the snow, much of it through some pretty winding hills. My FWD terrain handled fantastically well. The snow was coming down hard and wind was howling but the car stayed glued to the road amazingly well.
What tires do you have? Bottom line is that it's all about tires and weight. My Terrain came with Hankook tires (low bidder I presume) and while it does OK in the snow it's no match for my wife's Yukon XL with the OE Bridgestone's and her previous Yukon XL with the OE Firestone's or the two sets of Goodyear's I threw on there. I don't think much of the Hankook's and the Terrain is, of course, much lighter than the Yukon XL but it still does a respectable job in the snow although it wants to slide easier than I would like.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got an SLT-1 with 18" wheels and the tires that came with the car. I've got a little over 3000 miles, so the treads are still very new, but I was amazed at how well the car drove in the worst conditions I've ever been in. The traction control came on a few times on some of the bigger hills, but it drove way better then my AWD Murano

·
Registered
137 Posts
My LT1 came with the standard 17" wheels and Michelins. I am impressed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
My SLT2 came with 19" wheels with Hancooks (stamped made in China). I bought a set of 18" takeoffs from a Terrain and they have the Michelin tires(made in USA). It is kind of disapointing that they charge $900 for the 19" wheels and then give you inferior tires.

·
Registered
239 Posts
My old(03) Sonoma came with Goodyear Wranglers which were decent tires.

My Canyon(07) came with a set of Generals, I forget which speciffic model but they were pretty bad.
They were decent in deep snow but absolutly worthless on wet pavement or anything that had anykind of smoothness.
Really made me miss the Wranglers.

I have the 18"ers with the OEM Michilin Latatudes and I have been very happy with these tires in all conditions so far.
they stop so much better on glair ice then I have been used to for the last few years that I almost feel like I have winter tires on.
I realize that their not "snowflake rated" I don't but after 3 years on those Generals, these things are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
sactruck said:
My SLT2 came with 19" wheels with Hancooks (stamped made in China). I bought a set of 18" takeoffs from a Terrain and they have the Michelin tires(made in USA). It is kind of disapointing that they charge $900 for the 19" wheels and then give you inferior tires.
I agree about the Hankooks and 19" rims, but they're holding up pretty good in the snow.
The tire pressure is staying pretty consistent considering the variations in temperature.
The tread life is supposed to be very good.
I can't see GM picking something inferior after putting so much good into the SLT-2.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
265 Posts
We drove through part of the same snow storm yesterday from NJ to SC. But by the time we left home (Central NJ), the roads were clear, so not a big test for our new AWD Terrain. But that's ok. I've had more than enough snow this winter!

It was nice enough here in SC today to give the vehicle a good wash (lots of road salt). One thing I did notice was there was a lot of dried salt deposited on the inside bottom lip of the four doors. I wiped it off (at least what I could see, but it does concern me that that might be a future cause of rust. I'm tempted to somehow coat the inside bottom lip with silicon or something. Any suggestions?

BTW, I am happy to report that I found nothing that needs touching up. The vehicle's finish seems perfect. Nice job GM.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts