GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well we're going to bring the Terrain in again.
After our second oil change at 13,000 kM's, the smell of fuel was gone.
Checked the dipstick again yesterday and the oil is black and smells of fuel.

Here's our original thread on this issue.

http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1460.0

Will post back after we take it back to the dealer in the next week or so.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
gearhead said:
Checked the dipstick again yesterday and the oil is black and smells of fuel.
Here's our original thread on this issue.
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1460.0
After reading your previous thread,as of today, GM has not replaced your aux high pressure fuel pump?
If not, could you let us know if they will? The aux fuel pump itself has been upgraded three times. Original GM part number 12629934 then to 12633594 and now the lastest part upgrade to 12622475.

If you do get the aux pump changed, could you put in a request that you would like to see the old part when GM is done? I would be interested in knowing if there is a casting number on this pump. ( I haven't looked at mine yet to see, I'm not sure I will be able to see anything while its on the engine)
One could cross-reference the casting number to the part number and that would tell us what vehicles already have the upgraded aux pump. I'm hoping that this issue of bad seals inside the pump was solved prior to MY11.
My dealer has changed out a few already because of bad seals leaking fuel. I'm not sure what model year they were though.

Thanks [/color]

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OnxBear, the dealer has not replaced any parts, only reprogrammed for cold start conditions.
Thanks, I will definitely bring your info to them when I drop off the vehicle.
8)

·
Registered
365 Posts
gearhead said:
OnxBear, the dealer has not replaced any parts, only reprogrammed for cold start conditions.
8)
What dealer did you go to? I am going to have my dealer call your service techs. They still have no idea that there is a update for cold starts. My oil is also full of fuel. I am worried about a engine fire :eek:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
gearhead said:
8)
Sounds great gearhead, thanks.[/color]

·
Registered
698 Posts
fireman591 said:
What dealer did you go to? I am going to have my dealer call your service techs. They still have no idea that there is a update for cold starts. My oil is also full of fuel. I am worried about a engine fire :eek:
Gearhead has the V6 which had the update.

And if your Terrain caught fire you wouldn't have to worry/complain about your poor mileage anymore... problem solved!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Terrain said:
Gearhead has the V6 which had the update.

And if your Terrain caught fire you wouldn't have to worry/complain about your poor mileage anymore... problem solved!
Good point! :)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fireman, sent you a private message.
Check my invoice here:
http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1460.msg22199#msg22199
for the work done last time.

Wife brought it to dealer yestarday and I saw the report last night but forgot to bring it to work.
They did another reprogram to the PCM, I believe, will post the invoice tonight/tomorrow.
It shows the reprogramming code.
Dealer said it's ok, since I had the oil changed, then the reprogram done so some fuel may have slipped by again.
They say to wait for one more oil change and then check again, but dilution is not an issue at this point in time.
Will keep you posted after next oil change.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the invoice, it states:
Smells Gasoline in oil - checked dipstick - see RO #
Reprogrammed PCM TECH 382
NFF Unable to duplicate problem at this time
Check oil, no smell of gasoline. No sign of oil seperation when checked with a paper towel.
I'll scan the doc and post it up time permitting, but maybe this will help others for now.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RNOX said:
I like the checked with a paper towel. Maybe an Oil analysis can determine if and/or if fuel is present.
I agree, RNOX.
I'm not ready, at this point anyway, to send a sample to the labs to check for dilution.
Next oil change I will carefully monitor it.
If I smell fuel again, I will bring it back and maybe contact GM Customer Service for their take on this.
I'm happy with our dealer and trust their judgement.
They've reprogramed it twice now so next 1000km, it's going in for fresh oil (I forgot to tell the wife to have them change the oil on that day, I had mentioned it to her last week but she forgot as well).
I'm old school and have never really noticed fuel in the oil before but when I take into account that it's being injected at 800 to 2000 P.S.I. (not exactly sure what the GM spec is) it's quite the challenge for piston rings to keep some from blowing past before combustion, IMO.

·
Registered
365 Posts
gearhead said:
I agree, RNOX.
I'm not ready, at this point anyway, to send a sample to the labs to check for dilution.
Next oil change I will carefully monitor it.
If I smell fuel again, I will bring it back and maybe contact GM Customer Service for their take on this.
I'm happy with our dealer and trust their judgement.
They've reprogramed it twice now so next 1000km, it's going in for fresh oil (I forgot to tell the wife to have them change the oil on that day, I had mentioned it to her last week but she forgot as well).
I'm old school and have never really noticed fuel in the oil before but when I take into account that it's being injected at 800 to 2000 P.S.I. (not exactly sure what the GM spec is) it's quite the challenge for piston rings to keep some from blowing past before combustion, IMO.
Thank you for all the information. Hopefully your dealer can educate mine on this issue.

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
The injection system used on SIDI engines differs from standard fuel injection in one important way. With SIDI, the fuel is injected at a much higher pressure (up to 2176 psi or 15000 kPa) because it's injected directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake manifold (port injection).

·
Registered
365 Posts
rbarrios said:
The injection system used on SIDI engines differs from standard fuel injection in one important way. With SIDI, the fuel is injected at a much higher pressure (up to 2176 psi or 15000 kPa) because it's injected directly into the combustion chamber rather than into the intake manifold (port injection).
Is it safe to say if the fuel pressure was to high or if to much fuel was injected at cold start up that fuel could get into the oil?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had the fuel pump and oil replaced.
Will post the service paperwork this weekend with more detail.
;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
gearhead said:
We had the fuel pump and oil replaced.
Will post the service paperwork this weekend with more detail.
;)
Thanks for all the info. Mine was replaced last week. So far so good.

·
Registered
978 Posts
fireman591 said:
Thanks for all the info. Mine was replaced last week. So far so good.
I'm convinced you are watching your MPGs like a hawk...so.....any big news yet?

·
Registered
365 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
I'm convinced you are watching your MPGs like a hawk...so.....any big news yet?
Most of the driving has been short trips on the back roads. MPG is 4-5 mpg better than before. I am still getting crappy 70 mph mpg though. 23 mpg max. Hopefully that will improve soon. GM is aware that the internal engine parts were subjected to fuel in the oil during break in. If MPG does not improve they will most likely swap out the engine. The compression is 200 in all 4 cylinders but there is no way of knowing what damage was done to the lower part of the engine during break in. The dealer said it would cost a fortune in labor to rebuild the lower part vs a swap with a new engine. I will keep ya posted ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts