GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe it just me but I seem to sense the transmission slipping when shifting from 3rd into 4th when its cold. Anyone else notice the same with theirs?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I also noticed it to, but mine seems to slip also between 2nd & 3rd gear. It seems to smooth out after the engine has been running for awhile or up to operating temperature. Is this something that is common or is it something that should be checked by a technician. I've had my Terrain for a year now and don't remember it doing this last Winter.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Member2010 said:
I also noticed it to, but mine seems to slip also between 2nd & 3rd gear. It seems to smooth out after the engine has been running for awhile or up to operating temperature. Is this something that is common or is it something that should be checked by a technician. I've had my Terrain for a year now and don't remember it doing this last Winter.
I have the same problem between 2nd and 3rd.
Going to try to go to the dealer Friday.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like you "guys" have a Continuously variable transmission...(CVT)..... ;D ;D

My 2008 Jeep Patriot had one...it always sounded like it was slipping...hated it......

·
Registered
26 Posts
it is not slipping.
since it is a 6 speed it shifts very fast from gear to gear.
I took my wifes to the dealer with the same issue and they assured me that its fine. just the timing of the shifting gives the feeling of the tranny slipping.
No worries!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah slipping is not the right word to use, it hanges up between 2nd and 3rd, once I get to the main road it shifts like it should

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2010 LTZ said:
it is not slipping.
since it is a 6 speed it shifts very fast from gear to gear.
I took my wifes to the dealer with the same issue and they assured me that its fine. just the timing of the shifting gives the feeling of the tranny slipping.
No worries!
OK, not slipping but the tach shows a large increase in RPMs between 3rd and 4th and its the only shift that shows it. So then what would you call it?

·
Registered
481 Posts
TerryG said:
OK, not slipping but the tach shows a large increase in RPMs between 3rd and 4th and its the only shift that shows it. So then what would you call it?
Sounds like it's slipping to me on the 3rd to 4th shift. May need a band adjustment or it could be a software issue they can fix with a reflash of the computer.

·
Registered
136 Posts
the 6 speeds in all brands are famous for trying to get you into the highest possible gear, asap, for mpg reasons. This often causes the famous "hunt" or slip feeling. Also, if like me, you share your car with a spouse, the "adaptive tranny" always tries to learn your "driving style" and this causes further "hunting". I still would check my tranny fluid level!

MM

·
Registered
6 Posts
My wife's 2010 has an RPM spike of 500RPM first thing in morning between 3rd and 4th. Only happens when it sits overnight and only does it the first 3 cycles, then car warms up and shifts normally. Brought too dealer and they could not reproduce and said car fine. Previous owner had corner garage change tranny fluid, not sure what they used but would that be the issue? Does it have to be GM fluid?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
sledder12 said:
My wife's 2010 has an RPM spike of 500RPM first thing in morning between 3rd and 4th. Only happens when it sits overnight and only does it the first 3 cycles, then car warms up and shifts normally. Brought too dealer and they could not reproduce and said car fine. Previous owner had corner garage change tranny fluid, not sure what they used but would that be the issue? Does it have to be GM fluid?
No it does not have to be GM fluid, but it must be labeled Dexron-VI.
Check your owners manual for verification.
Because you will probably only change this a few times in the life of your vehicle don't buy the cheap stuff.
Valvoline makes a full synthetic Dexron-VI that would be my choice.
Your transmission is a very important (expensive) component, treat it well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts