GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Equinox. Every time it rains and I park it, there is a sizzling noise coming from under the hood. It's intermittent sizzling for about 10 minutes and then it stops making the noise. It's like when you are cooking and test a pan to see if it's hot by dropping a drop of water in it, it's that type of loud sizzle. I've never had a vehicle do this before, it doesn't seem normal. Is a part missing that would stop water from running onto the engine? I called the dealer, they said it could happen if you drive through a puddle and it splashes up to the engine from below. It wasn't raining enough to form puddles, the sizzling was from the actual rain running off of it. Anyone else have this problem? Is it dangerous? Thanks.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Could it be exhaust shields ticking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would they be making noise under the hood, and only when it rains? It's not really a ticking noise, definitely a sizzle.

·
Registered
338 Posts
If water got between any heat shield in the exhaust system it would sizzle. What needs to be determined is where this is occuring.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Did you ever find resolution with your inquiry? Did you bring this to the attention of your local dealer? Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me directly with any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 11 Terrain with the same problem. I have even had steam coming out from under the hood! When I mentioned it to the dealership service dept I was told that it was normal. I don't believe it though. Not sure what is going on but it's not "normal" to have your car sizzle every time it rains.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Hey butterfly,

We understand how this may concern you. If you'd like for us to contact your dealership about this matter, we'd be happy to do so and get a few more additional details. If you're interested, feel free to send us a private message. Please include your name, VIN and dealer.

Thanks

Amber N.
GMC Customer Care

·
Registered
194 Posts
Any operating temperature engine and radiator is hot enough to cause steam and sizzling from the radiator and exhaust manifold from rainwater or mist being drawn between the radiator tubes by the cooling fan/fans and forward movement of the vehicle. This is NORMAL, all vehicles do it to some extent. Most people don't notice it. Water CANNOT be sealed away from the engine compartment, as airflow is absolutely required for cooling the engine. Where air can enter, water does also. It will cause you NO problems. :cheers:

·
Registered
749 Posts
butterfly44 said:
I have a 11 Terrain with the same problem. I have even had steam coming out from under the hood! When I mentioned it to the dealership service dept I was told that it was normal. I don't believe it though. Not sure what is going on but it's not "normal" to have your car sizzle every time it rains.
Ive seen steam coming from the hood but only on rainy days. I assumed it was rainwater hitting something hot. Maybe the radiator or something. I always checked the to gauge and it was fine. But it definitely makes your pulse rate rise for a few moments.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You should see my '08 Wrangler steam when it rains. Looks like the top radiator tank has blown.LOL TOTALLY NORMAL....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts