GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got a call on monday to please bring in my nox. I was scared but brought it in this morning. I was asked if i could wait for my vehical to return....... I asked what was wrong....... there reply was "nothing just got something we need to put on your vehical. I asked what it was.... they wont tell me but found out from my service rep they are installing a roof rack with cross bars FREE of charge.

5th vehical bought from this dealer and had to bring my NOX inabout 2 weeks ago for a flexing roof at 70 mph or above....... found out the foam adhesive they used at the factory was not holding up...... MANY NEW VEHICALS HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMS FROM ECONOMY UP TO FULL SIZE TRUCKS AND ALL IN BETWEEN. So for my troubles i get a gift from them :cheers:

·
Registered
371 Posts
That's cool.....how does that fix the actual problem though?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Flexing roof? I don't understand....and also don't see how a roof rack would help. ???

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I am glad to hear that you are working with your dealership regarding this concern. Please feel free to keep me posted regarding the fix. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
468 Posts
They prob couldnt find or couldnt fix the problem so they thru in some goodies to help the mind forget about the problem haha. Either way nice free addon would of costed you a pretty penny to buy yourself.

·
Registered
22 Posts
NoobNox said:
Flexing roof? I don't understand....and also don't see how a roof rack would help. ???
The roof is probably bonded to the roof rails using the adhesive foam, and the attachment to the rails is what gives the roof panel stiffness. If the adhesive isn't working, then the air over the roof could cause the roof panel to flex, since it's basically just a flat piece of sheet steel at that point. Probably created a noise or something, which is how he identified that there was an issue. (I thought I remember reading another thread on here about someone who had a similar issue.)

The roof rack probably bolts to the roof rails and not to the roof panel itself, so it will create an attachment between the roof panel and the roof rail (panel is sandwiched between the roof rack and the roof rail), which would give the roof panel some stiffness that was not there before. I could definitely see how it could help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the roof becomes loose and starts to buffet at higher speeds.... this is due to the foam adhesive that was used during assemly is not keeping the roof and roof supports bonded togeather so they put in new foam adhesive on there and i was talking to my service rep and he got with his boss and they paid for the roof rack and cross bars and installed them today. would have cost me about 6 hundred to do on my own..... chrome would have been nice but dont look a gift horse in the mouth :happy:

Bad part is I had to tell them what to order to get it all complete. I was told by the parts guy "that wont fit or work right"................ sad to say he admitted he was wrong when he seen them on there

·
Registered
56 Posts
cafeldmann said:
The roof is probably bonded to the roof rails using the adhesive foam, and the attachment to the rails is what gives the roof panel stiffness. If the adhesive isn't working, then the air over the roof could cause the roof panel to flex, since it's basically just a flat piece of sheet steel at that point.
I haven't experienced it, but my wife has ridden her 'Nox thru the car wash, and noted that the air dryer blasters really hammer the roof -- and she swears she saw and heard it wobble in the slipstream.

We already have the side rack rails installed on the 1LT...

·
Registered
977 Posts
ZEquinox said:
I haven't experienced it, but my wife has ridden her 'Nox thru the car wash, and noted that the air dryer blasters really hammer the roof -- and she swears she saw and heard it wobble in the slipstream.

I had a Saturn VUE and when I went to the car wash the same thing happened. You don't have this with a car.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was told that the main reason for the roof being flimsy was because i dont have a sun roof and the vehical is all set up to get a sun roof from the factory...... I told them that they need to put it in for free at the factory or at the dealership.....Got no response from that remark.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
ZEquinox said:

yep! My Terrain does this too! scared the heck outta me the first time!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Although mine doesn't move going down the road, it "feels" loose when washing/waxing. The very first time we washed it after bringing it home we noticed it. More towards the hatch than the sunroof.

Is it normal or is mine coming unglued?

·
Registered
483 Posts
RnB said:
Although mine doesn't move going down the road, it "feels" loose when washing/waxing. The very first time we washed it after bringing it home we noticed it. More towards the hatch than the sunroof.

Is it normal or is mine coming unglued?
Mine is the same. More towards the back. The area where there would be a sunroof actually feels pretty solid. It's the ribbed area that feels flimsy. I noticed it the first time i washed the roof.

Just open the rear door and stand on the sill and press on the roof. You'll see what we are talking about.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
black granite and wrusprod and RnB get an appointment at your dealership to get your vehicle fixed they will need it for about a day then it will be much better.
:cheers:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I would have to agree with the previous post that your best bet would be to take the vehicle to your local dealership. Please feel free to keep me posted. Thank you in advance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts