GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 Terrain with Nav amd I just don't like the XM features or lack thereof on the factory radio. I'm seriously considering buying a Sirius receiver for my Terrain, but I wanted to see if anyone has installed one in the cubby space below the radio. My wife has a sportster 5 unit and I love the artist/song/team alerts that you can save. Also, most of the units have the ability to view what's playing on other stations without switching stations. I have no idea why these features aren't included in the factory stereo when they are in almost every portable unit.

Has anyone installed a sirius receiver? what bracket did you use? Pics?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
you like Sirius but not XM....they have similar programming..or get XM with the best of Sirius..

I had Sirius on a portable player for years, (Stiletto) got the XM with best of Sirius when I got my 2011..

Im happy with it..(even better on the 2012 colortouch radio- shows more program info)

The sportster would fit with plenty of room, but if you wanted better sound quality, by not using the FM transmitter,but the AUX in plug..you would have to route your line to the center console..

·
Registered
29 Posts
First, I think he's having a problem with the lack of feature of the included radio. Second, maybe Sirius offers something not available on XM.

What I can tell, from experience, external SAT radio always sound worst than the built-in radio. I don't know if the built-in XM offer sound improvement, but it's just better.

Try before you buy.... That's all I can say.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, there is a little bit of less control of the oem radio, but not too much...and again, i have had Sirius in the past..only thing i lacked with XM is the howard stern channels and NFL ..so went with XM with the best of Sirius..music programming is pretty much the same..

I find the SAT radio in the car sounds better than the external Sirius Stiletto I had..using the portable radio sounds horrible when using the FM tranamitter

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wife has Sirius in her car, so if I switch I we get the multi-radio discount.

wrusprod said:
you like Sirius but not XM....they have similar programming..or get XM with the best of Sirius..

I had Sirius on a portable player for years, (Stiletto) got the XM with best of Sirius when I got my 2011..

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yes, still seperate programs and billing..

I left Sirius to go with XM,because of the Terrain already having XM..( I got XM with best of Sirius)..that was back in Oct. 2010..

I still get calls and mail pleading with me to come back to Sirius!! ha..too funny..

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I have the XM radio in my Traverse.
But dont want to pay extra to get Howard. so I moved my Sirius unit from my Trailblazer to my Traverse.
On the Trailblazer- I had the units ANT out- hooked into the radios ANT in with a special box. I tuned into a certain frequency and it sounded pretty good vs having the sirius transmit over the air- and me tune in.

On the Traverse- I use the Sirius units AUDIO OUT- and plug straight into the radios AUX in. There is a loss in sound quality. (as for a while I could tune into the same station on the XM- and Sirius by switching inputs) and you could head the audio difference.
But- I wasnt going to pay extra when I could use my Sirius.
Heres a pic of mine. I placed it on front of my Traverses unused cubby hole. I simply Velcro'd it in place.... it wont move.
I also have a Flashing LED that flashed brightly at night (battery powered) batt are in the cubby hole behind the radio.
Its not a nox/terrain but it may give others an idea for mounting.
I love the feature of it beeping to let you know a particular artist/song will be playing on one of the channels.

·
Registered
21 Posts
How is the reception of sirius/xm for those who have a factory installed unit on their Nox or Terrain? The GF has it factory on her Cruze.... it cuts out for no reason here and there.

I have a Sportster 5 in the Vibe. In comparison: Road trip from Calgary to Vancouver, BC. Driving the Vibe, my standalone unit only cuts out going through tunnels and snowsheds whereas the factory unit in her Cruze will cut out at every single tree/building/cloud (seemingly) that comes within 100ft of her car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you do decide to go with a Sirius receiver, I have one that I have been trying to get rid of for a while.

It's this model, and comes with everything and is in great working condition, I also have a boombox (second link) to go with it. Comes with a nice window mouth that if you put a dash-disc in the cubby beneath the radio would fit very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Sirius-SDST5V1-Starmate-Radio-PowerConnect/dp/B003CYL50A

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B001KZTSOI/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Let me know if you're interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I'll probably just swap over my sportster whenever I buy a new vehicle. The fun part's going to be pulling out all the hidden wiring through the various plastic.

I don't enjoy working with plastic car trip.... I break clips....

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have the factory unit in my Terrain and I've never had any reception problems at all while it was active. I have a subscription to Sirius already so I didn't bother to renew XM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts