GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been using these types of products for years with pretty good results.
On our last vehicle, used it in the wheelwells and on the mud flaps as well.
Gave the wheel wells and mud flaps a nice clean, dark look.
Doesn't seem to harm the wheel wells at all, but I want to be sure before using it on the Terrain.

Any thoughts on this?
All feedback welcome, including "geez you are lazy not to use a brush and some elbow grease, gearhead!" LOLLOLLOL!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Clean, dark tires look good, but only if the rest of the vehicle is clean. There's nothing worse than seeing a dirty car with shiny black tires. Shiny tires in general I'm not overly fond of, just because the rest of the tire will be dirty from regular road use, so as soon as you turn the wheel you see a huge contrast of dirty and shiny. Black tires always look good, but I'd stay away from products that give them too much of a shine.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I always try to keep tires dressed. But what I really hate is when the dressing ends up all over the car once you start driving. I like the thick & clear silicone the best. Seems to stay put and last quite awhile.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Is there a brand name that you guys prefer? I've been using the 3M tire dressing.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
SnowItch said:
I'll look when I get home. There is a brand that I was really happy with how long it last and as an extra bonus it even smells good! Seriously, it doesn't have a chemical smell at all - its actually a pleasure to put on.
I use TOTAL LOOK by spray nine I think.

Have been using for over 15 years. Best shine, not greasy and lasts a while.

Silicone foaming spray is good as well.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lots of good info, thanks guys and gals!
8)
Anyone use any products on the inner wheel well plastic or plastic/rubberized mud flaps?
The tires I'm not too concerned about, it's the use of the foaming cleaners on the plastic that I'm a little leary/uncertain about.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Gearhead--I'm going to start making bi-monthly trips to your neck of the woods for a car detail !! By the way, silicone works well on wheel well plastic---just make sure it's washed out thoroughly first. Brings out the black.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Islander said:
Gearhead--I'm going to start making bi-monthly trips to your neck of the woods for a car detail !! By the way, silicone works well on wheel well plastic---just make sure it's washed out thoroughly first. Brings out the black.
Thanks Islander, I have special detailing rates for Terrain owners and Members of this Forum...FREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!! *

BTW, can you be a little more specific when you say silicone?
Maybe a brand or product name?

* offer valid when you purchase our kid's lemonade @ $100.00US/12oz. glass. Ice extra $20.00US.
LOLOLOLOL!!![/color]

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'll look. Might be a Turtle Wax product. It comes in a clear bottle and is quite thick. Lasts and lasts.

BTW--Free works for me!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
For durability and lack of slinging, I've been using Meguires NXT tire shine and have been very satisfied.

The important thing is to let it sit for a bit after you apply. I generally don't like foams because they don't last long, and sling moreso than gels and liquid sprays.

The NXT is a thicker silicon and I believe has a lower water content so it dries faster and sticks to the tire better.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All excellent replies, thanks a ton!
OK Islander, one freebie detail by gearhead for you no problem! **

Next time, be sure to read the fine print buddy!

;)

** Offer valid only when gearhead gets to test new 20,000RPM orbital buffer on YOUR vehicle...LOLOLOLOL[/color]

·
Registered
115 Posts
gearhead said:
Lots of good info, thanks guys and gals!
well, I'd agree that this is a lot of good info, but are there actually gals who contribute/read this forum? :-*

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Islander said:
Had to get out the "readers" to see the fine print. I guess you work for a bank or an insurance company--he he[/color].
HaHa!
If we were pulling in 1/100th of what the Bank & Insurance CEO's make in a year, I'd drop everything and retire right now.
;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
SnowItch said:
Mequiar's High Gloss Hot Shine Tire Gel.

Extra long lasting shine
Stays on through rain/snow
Prevents tire browning
Smells Good
I hope your right about this stuff. Advanced Auto had it in their add so I picked up two bottles..

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
TerryG said:
I hope your right about this stuff. Advanced Auto had it in their add so I picked up two bottles..
Let us know how it works for you, TerryG.
I bought 6 cans of the "Simoniz Foaming Tire Care" as they were 1/2 off and I'd used them before with good results.

BTW, I went ahead and sprayed the Terrain's wheel wells with the stuff this past Sunday while cleaning our vehicles.
So far, seems OK.
Hope it's not eating away at the plastic LOL!
:eek:
Here's the picture I took from a distance:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Been using a 3 step process from Michelin with good results
1.Michelin wheel and tire cleaner
2.Micheli 3in1 tire shine
3.Michelin brake dust repellent.... keeps brake dust off the wheels

·
Registered
441 Posts
TerryG said:
its great stuff......nice and heavy too....wont sling off like other tire shines.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts