GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is in my signature and is about 11 months old with 14K miles. Had to fly out of the country for business. Drove 65 miles to the airport and parked it. Returned 13 days later and the remote unlock didn't work. Had to use the key to open the driver's door. Put the key in the ignition and tried to start it but nothing. (No I didn't leave any lights on). Now I can't get the key out of the ignition. Called the lot attendant and they jumped started it. Drove it home and the next day tested the battery with a 100 amp load and the voltage was 11.2 volts. Started the car and the alternaotr was changing the battery at 14.9 volts. Is possible that the various active circuits like anti-theft, remote start, etc could kill the battery in just 13 days of sitting? Do I need to get the dealer to take a look at it?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
CarrollB said:
The car is in my signature and is about 11 months old with 14K miles. Had to fly out of the country for business. Drove 65 miles to the airport and parked it. Returned 13 days later and the remote unlock didn't work. Had to use the key to open the driver's door. Put the key in the ignition and tried to start it but nothing. (No I didn't leave any lights on). Now I can't get the key out of the ignition. Called the lot attendant and they jumped started it. Drove it home and the next day tested the battery with a 100 amp load and the voltage was 11.2 volts. Started the car and the alternaotr was changing the battery at 14.9 volts. Is possible that the various active circuits like anti-theft, remote start, etc could kill the battery in just 13 days of sitting? Do I need to get the dealer to take a look at it?
Same thing happened to my '10. When I told the dealer, he re-flashed the computer, and it hasn't happened since then. At one point, some cars has an interior light that was on 24x7, draining the battery. Best to take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Maybe. 13 days is a long while. If I ever leave my car parked for longer than a week, I pull the ground off the battery. It's pretty easy to do. Or have somebody start it up every few days for a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Nutz1 said:
Or have somebody start it up every few days for a couple of minutes.
Or, start it up yourself with your I-Phone !

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the car was parked at home I could have someone start it. Can't do that when it's in the airport praking lot and you're in Germany. Staring the car with the IPhone app is not an option either since I am 6000 miles away. Guess I'll make an appointment with the dealer.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
CarrollB said:
Staring the car with the IPhone app is not an option either since I am 6000 miles away. Guess I'll make an appointment with the dealer.
Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't realize that there was a distance limitation for an IPhone app. :banghead:

But, still worth a trip to the dealer.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Ha..no there is no limitation to the iPhone car start app.......unless he has no cell phone signal.... :shrug:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I am glad to hear that you are planning to work with your local dealer towards resolution. Please feel free to keep me posted and contact me with any questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This has been a long-standing discussion on the Buick Enclave forum. The reason (s) seem to boil down to a few things: 1. Bad battery (hey, they're only mechanical, and they do go bad); 2. Backed-up too close to a wall, where the back-up alerts might be energized (don't know how it's possible, but this is what some people found); 3. (and this is the biggest reason) Things (?) are left plugged in...phone charges, nav units, dvd players, games...all and any kind of electronics...swome of the plugs even draw a load just by being plugged-into the socket, not necessarily hooked up to anything. Your best bet is to always unplug everything. Also, some folks have found that the built-in navigation units may be drawing current. Best bet...have the dealer check it out. Hey, it's under warranty.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Chargers for phones, GPS, etc., draw power even when the phone, etc. aren't plugged into them.

The computer, On-Star, and a few other things (burglar alarm?) will draw power when ignition is off.

Still, a couple of weeks shouldn't be enough to run down a decent quality battery like the OEM one.

My old work car sits for ~10 days minimum between uses and it fires right up.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
KCorey said:
3. (and this is the biggest reason) Things (?) are left plugged in...phone charges, nav units, dvd players, games...all and any kind of electronics...swome of the plugs even draw a load just by being plugged-into the socket, not necessarily hooked up to anything. Your best bet is to always unplug everything. Also, some folks have found that the built-in navigation units may be drawing current. Best bet...have the dealer check it out. Hey, it's under warranty.
The only 12V outlet on the Nox/Terrain that is live when the car is off is the rear jack.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took it ot the dealer this afternoon. Told me there was a recall for the problem I was having. Told him I never got one. The recall was in Jan 2011 and I got the car in Mar 2011 so it was sitting on the dealer's lot when the recall came out. The recall was to reprogram and body control module. The recall said sometimes the computer would turn on the background illuminating lights for the dash gages and this would drain the battery. Guess that's what happened at the airport and since I wasn't around the car when it got dark I would not have seen the dash lights on. Dealer said the battery was okay. The whole repair call only took an hour and was covered by the warranty. I will check the battery voltage with my DVM after sitting overnight and see if it is still low like before.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
CarrollB said:
Took it ot the dealer this afternoon. Told me there was a recall for the problem I was having. Told him I never got one. The recall was in Jan 2011 and I got the car in Mar 2011 so it was sitting on the dealer's lot when the recall came out. The recall was to reprogram and body control module. The recall said sometimes the computer would turn on the background illuminating lights for the dash gages and this would drain the battery. Guess that's what happened at the airport and since I wasn't around the car when it got dark I would not have seen the dash lights on. Dealer said the battery was okay. The whole repair call only took an hour and was covered by the warranty. I will check the battery voltage with my DVM after sitting overnight and see if it is still low like before.
I am happy to hear that the concern seems to have been resolved. Please feel free to contact me with any further questions. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts