GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so for some reason i've gotten it in my head that i want to get the sidemarkers on the Terrain to also function as turn signals for added functionality and safety. from what i've read, this would involve cutting the ground wire of the sidemarker and splicing it into the turn signal wire of the parking light/turn signal on each side, and then you would get both signaling together when parking lights are off and signaling alternately when parking lights are on (which would be cool).

has anyone done this? does this mod absolutely involve cutting wires or would it be possible to just use a splice tap? i'm not real keen on the idea of cutting wires so any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
446 Posts
I was kinda surprised GM didn't do to the Equinox like they did the Traverse with mirror based signal lights. Then again, the 'Nox is $10K less than the Traverse in most cases.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Narg said:
I was kinda surprised GM didn't do to the Equinox like they did the Traverse with mirror based signal lights. Then again, the 'Nox is $10K less than the Traverse in most cases.
The 08 09 Vue has built in side marker lights
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, this isn't something i would consider to be "higher end" by any means and really should have been done stock since you can't see the front turn signal from the side at all.

so anyone have any tips, pointers etc. for doing this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i've got all the stuff i need to do it now (except additional wire, i'm hoping the ground from the sidemarker is long enough when cut) so now just have to get the time and ballsy enough to do it....lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
tbox302 said:
i've got all the stuff i need to do it now (except additional wire, i'm hoping the ground from the sidemarker is long enough when cut) so now just have to get the time and ballsy enough to do it....lol
Sounds like a great project.
Please keep us posted if you don't mind, tbox302.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
tbox302 said:
yeah, this isn't something i would consider to be "higher end" by any means and really should have been done stock since you can't see the front turn signal from the side at all.

so anyone have any tips, pointers etc. for doing this?
Did you get this done?
I like the idea and thinking about doing it myself..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
not yet, unfortunately. i hope to get around to it in the next couple of weeks or so. every time i think i'll have some time to mess with it something comes up. lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I spoke to my friend (personal mechanic) last night. He said he could do this for me, no problem.. So hopefully over the next 2 - 3 weeks I will get this done.

I'll let you know how it goes and I'll try to post a video of it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
kuppyr said:
I spoke to my friend (personal mechanic) last night. He said he could do this for me, no problem.. So hopefully over the next 2 - 3 weeks I will get this done.

I'll let you know how it goes and I'll try to post a video of it.
that would be awesome! at this point i'll wait to see what your guy experiences to make sure i go about it the right way. thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
tbox302 said:
that would be awesome! at this point i'll wait to see what your guy experiences to make sure i go about it the right way. thanks!
I'm supposed to be meeting up with him on Sunday to do this :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
I just got this done! it didn't take to long.

What you need to do is remove (194) marker socket & (906) blinker socket. Cut black (end) ground on marker and attach 3 inches of 22g wire. Splice into blue (end) pulsed ground on blinker socket & secure. Repeat on other side.

I'll post pics and video shortly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
I knew u could do it! ;D GM should have!! I really thought you were gonna need a simple diode to route electric flow in one direction only (to prevent other signal lights from blinking simultaneously). Glad it worked out. Congrats!

**** shame GM cut corners on this well known safety feature. Probably same guys that didn't want a simple rear A/C vent, in rear of front console, for back seat passengers.............

MM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,529 Posts
kuppyr said:
.

I'll post pics and video shortly
By Wednesday, every forum member will do this Mod. Thx for being the ground-breaker.

Can't wait for write-up. I;ve got my solder iron plugged in, in anticipation. Love cheap mods.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
Motorman said:
I knew u could do it! ;D GM should have!! I really thought you were gonna need a simple diode to route electric flow in one direction only (to prevent other signal lights from blinking simultaneously). Glad it worked out. Congrats!

**** shame GM cut corners on this well known safety feature. Probably same guys that didn't want a simple rear A/C vent, in rear of front console, for back seat passengers.............

MM
Gm did do it on my 2009 Saturn Vue. See picture at top of topic. The side marker lights blink with the direction lights. It is the same theta platform.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts
Attached is 3 images...

1 is the "side marker" after the ground (black wire) has been cut, the end that went to the car is tied to the other wires as it is not being used any more.

2 is the side marker after the wire is attached to the blinker (the green is the wire I added in which goes to the blue from the blinker.

3 showing the final after its all done before the bulbs were put back into the proper locations.

- I'm not really sure how to upload the videos if someone wants to either post here how to or message me how to, I'll put em up.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
youtube man....

here i thought you were adding real sidemarkers...not just rewiring the headlight
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
119 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,529 Posts
This should also work for the rear blinker. Anyone want to try that out ?
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top