GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stupid me! If I can put something together backwards, I usually end up doing so even though I think I am following the directions.....

For me, the Terrain side view mirrors have bigger blind spots then I am use to. I am very paranoid about changing lanes in traffic (which is probably a good thing, but gives me whip lash). I decided that the small button convexed mirrors would help, so I grabbed a pair when I saw them in Lowes. They were less than $3, so what the heck.

I was sure I was following the directions. I carefully cleaned the mirrors and mounted the round mirrors on the inner lower courner of each side view mirror. When I went for a drive, the blind spot mirrors seemed to function (I could see anything along the entire length of the Terrain), but they seemed to be blocking the normal view through the side view mirror. Then I started searching for other vehicles with the blind spot mirrors mounted and saw that I should have mounted them on the outside lower courner, not the inside!

Anyway I would like to remove them and try again (or do without), but they are really stuck. I don't want to try a razor blade on the mirror for fear of scratching them. Should I leave the Terrain in the sun to let everything heat up and try to pull them off (I am in SW Florida, so the sun can be hot)? Should I try a solvent?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Heat it up with a blow dryer and they will peal right off. You can put them where you want them as soon as you remove them from the old spot. The mirror most likely uses double sided tape. :)

I also used a blow dryer to remove the ugly airbag stickers on the visors if you feel like killing two birds with one stone ;D

·
Registered
441 Posts
inner lower?

ive always placed mine outside lower....or have gotten convex replacement mirrors; multivex (they dont have 2011 mirrors yet)....

·
Registered
482 Posts
If you look at the Chevy Traverse it has those little spot mirrors built in to both side mirrors. Very handy and it's a shame they didn't do the same with the Equinox/Terrain mirrors.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just adjust them correctly. I got a lot of flack for suggesting it a year ago because the Terrain/Nox dont have the best rear view but this works. I even use it on the G8. It takes a little bit to get used to but it really works.

Think about this: are you ever going to hit yourself with your own car? No, so why do need to see the side of the car in the mirror?

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Someone said they used dental floss to help remove the emblems on their vehicle
Heat them up a bit with the hair drier, and floss them off

·
Registered
141 Posts
i got a nice little blind spot mirror at autozone for about 3 bucks...it actually has an angled mounting surface to it so it's not one of those circular ones with everything kind of distorted...

and i'm dental floss guy lol. heating it up should make it pretty easy to pull off without needing the floss...the floss didn't work so hot for me...i just used goo gone on whatever didn't come off from lightly prying after heating up :)

·
Registered
850 Posts
It is really nice that the 2012 on ours, has the magnifier in upper corner. It is a welcome factory addition as rely on them all the time. They should have on all CUV/SUV's. A huge safety factor!

·
Registered
142 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Just adjust them correctly. I got a lot of flack for suggesting it a year ago because the Terrain/Nox dont have the best rear view but this works. I even use it on the G8. It takes a little bit to get used to but it really works.

Think about this: are you ever going to hit yourself with your own car? No, so why do need to see the side of the car in the mirror?

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/tech/mirrors/
I do that too, have been for at least 10 years. But the adjustment I used was different but gave the same results. It seems that no one is ever taught the right way to set their side mirrors. For the driver side I put my head close to the window and adjust the mirror to see the side of the car, as I go to my regular seated position, I can see most of the blind spot area and adjust it from there based on what I can see out the back rearview mirror. Similar settings on the passenger mirror. I do still use a blind spot mirror for the smaller blind spot right next to the car, and still take a quick look before making any turns or lane changes. Haven't run into anyone on the side ever. Well besides the lady that cut in front of me at the last second, but that was a head on collision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts