GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrain owner since Dec 3rd. We have about 5800 miles on our SLE 4cyl FWD and like it very much. Now that it is getting warmer, I tried the air conditioner and it's fine but when I press the recirculate button, with or without the air conditioner on, the air conditioner still works even though the light that illuminates when the air is functioning, is not on. Is this normal? I was expecting to just have the interior air flow recirculated without the air conditioner on.

RW

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rich said:
Terrain owner since Dec 3rd. We have about 5800 miles on our SLE 4cyl FWD and like it very much. Now that it is getting warmer, I tried the air conditioner and it's fine but when I press the recirculate button, with or without the air conditioner on, the air conditioner still works even though the light that illuminates when the air is functioning, is not on. Is this normal? I was expecting to just have the interior air flow recirculated without the air conditioner on.

RW

Are you sure the ac is on? The recirt bitton should recirt the air with ac if its on and without if it's off. I'll double ck mine when I go out later and report back.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
If you have selected "Auto", the AC will probably stay on depending on the interior temperature or humidity.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
****, I just noticed that last night myself. The ac light and Auto was off and it was in the 70's and cold air was still coming out so I don't think it is a fluke.

I know the ac is on when you turn on the defrost cycle.

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Same here - I was driving with the car in re-circ and cold air was coming from the vents with no A/C lights. I thought - cool, this car blows cold air for free ! Silly me.

·
Registered
446 Posts
This is a normal thing.

All GM cars and trucks to will "cycle" the A/C compressor every few minutes while the engine is running. This is done to push the life of the compressor much longer. It's been found that most compressor failures were due to the system becoming un-lubricated or drying out. By running the compressor for a few seconds every few minutes, this keeps the system better lubricated and will make it last much longer.

Of course the side effect is that the system will blow cold air once in a while. With it on recirc air, it would even be colder. I'd keep the system on "auto" to allow it to keep the air at a good temp.

(P.S. many air condition repair guys say something similar about your house too. During the winter months, do stop and run the air at least once a month to keep it lubricated and make it less likely to need service.)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
The reason it blows out "cold" air is because the compressor runs to dehumidify the air when recirc is on. Regardless of what you have it set to, it will strip the air of humidity to make it more comfortable for the passengers.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the feedback. Now, I don't have Climate Control so I don't also have an auto setting but, if what I'm hearing is the air conditioner will cycle while in the recirculate mode, does it cycle as much as if I had the air conditioner button pushed? It is cold air but it might save fuel just by having it on recirulate versus the actual air conditioning button being on. Just a thought, I'll have to compare the coolness with the air conditioner on and recirculate off and then with the air conditioner off but also with the recirculate button on.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Years ago someone told me to run the ac once a month all year to keep the seals lubed. If I remember correctly, my Azteks owners manual said the ac won't work in the winter after it goes below a certain temp. So on some cars it probably won't do any good turning on the ac in the winter. Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Rich said:
Thanks for all of the feedback. Now, I don't have Climate Control so I don't also have an auto setting but, if what I'm hearing is the air conditioner will cycle while in the recirculate mode, does it cycle as much as if I had the air conditioner button pushed? It is cold air but it might save fuel just by having it on recirulate versus the actual air conditioning button being on. Just a thought, I'll have to compare the coolness with the air conditioner on and recirculate off and then with the air conditioner off but also with the recirculate button on.
I'm in the terrain now pulled over. With ac off and the recirc on the ac is off. You do get the compressor sound every few minutes. But the ac is def off and does not auto go on in recerc mode. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
So far, it looks like 3) for on and 1) for off.
Let's get a poll going. See how many have a defect. ;D

One has to be a defect, but which one?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I posted about this a few months back. I do not have Auto Climate Control but when I have the re-circ button pushed in the AC works just as if I had the actual AC button pushed in and the AC button is not lit. When you then push in the outside air button the AC will shut off unless you have the actual AC button pushed in. My compressor has always (3 months and 2000 miles) cycled off and on at approx every 15 seconds. You will only hear this at idle. The weather here in South Florida has been in the upper 80's and low 90's high humidity and AC is cooling very good. There is no doubt in my mind that this compressor will have to be replaced more than once under warranty. In my driving mode I figure it is cycling about 4 times per minute or 240 times per hour! So if I drive just a few hours a day that would be 480 times per day or 3360 times per week or 174,720 times per year. So because of this I will probably break down and be inconvenienced just because the design/engineering of the AC system may not be ......?. Do you think our AC compressors are designed for this much cycling?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Don't all the Terrains/ Noxes have climate control?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Maybe an option for the Auto Climate Control on the 1-LT. Maybe standard on 2-LT or LTZ. Do not know but mine 1-LT has manual control AC. I can set it to go on at start up thru the DIC setting system

·
Registered
635 Posts
ccharlie said:
Maybe an option for the Auto Climate Control on the 1-LT. Maybe standard on 2-LT or LTZ. Do not know but mine 1-LT has manual control AC. I can set it to go on at start up thru the DIC setting system
I looked at owners manual...you are right...they don't all have auto climate control.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So. no one want's to comment on the issue of the possibility of the AC compressor cycling on/off approx. 1/2 million times during the the initial 3/36 warranty?

·
Registered
635 Posts
ccharlie said:
So. no one want's to comment on the issue of the possibility of the AC compressor cycling on/off approx. 1/2 million times during the the initial 3/36 warranty?
Has been discussed quite a bit ..please do a search

AC will come on if you have any of these 3 conditions.

1. "defrost" on( to remove humidity).
2. if climate control detects rise in cabin temperature.
3. you depress AC button.

Cycling AC has been de regueur on GM cars for at least 15 yrs. Prolongs the life of compressor and components as well as keeps windows from excess moisture buildup.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts