GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a '12 Nox, mocha. It has the faux chrome plastic 5 split-spoke wheel covers - plus there is lots of shiny trim. Is there any wheel cleaner that is safe or is soap and water the surest bet?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Soap and water works fine for just cleaning it but in addition to that I use Turtle Wax chrome & metal polish to keep it clean, which I think they changed the name to this now http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Wax-T-284-Premium-Chrome/dp/B001THWFII

But anywhoo first time I washed the car I cleaned the wheels with soap and water but the wheels still looked pretty dull so I used the turtle wax on one wheel but I needed to hurry after that so I also had a bottle of Meguiars Hot Rims wheel shine spray bottle and did the other 3 and immediately saw the difference!

The turtle wax left a gorgeous mirror shine that's actually kept the wheels looking clean for well over a month but the spray left it looking super dull almost like looking through frosted glass and they got dirty looking after 1-2 weeks.

·
Registered
337 Posts
If you happen to get brake dust on those wheels GM / ACDelco make a rim cleaner you spray on when you are washing it. It cleans very well and it does not damage the finish. If you keep the wheels clean, soap and water, or spray detailer and a microfiber rag will do the trick.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
HFV6 said:
If you happen to get brake dust on those wheels GM / ACDelco make a rim cleaner you spray on when you are washing it. It cleans very well and it does not damage the finish. If you keep the wheels clean, soap and water, or spray detailer and a microfiber rag will do the trick.
Good to know about the GM rim cleaner.
I'll have to give it a try on my Chrome Clad Wheels and Custom Chrome Body Side Molding I added.

I've been concerned on what to use so as not to damage it. Now and then road tar and semi hitch grease gets a spatter here and there.

·
Registered
337 Posts
JayTee2014 said:
Now and then road tar and semi hitch grease gets a spatter here and there.
GM also made a road and tar remover. It has been discontinued but is available many places on line. Works extremely well and won't damage the paint. :thumb:

·
Registered
247 Posts
I regularly use Meguires Quick Detail spray on the car after a hand wash and have found it works great on my chrome clad 19" wheels as well. I bought a medium soft bristle brush with a long handle that I use to clean the wheels/tires when washing and it gets most of the hard to reach places....works great on the roof as well. The Meguires really makes the wheels SHINE without much effort and maintains the shine for a long time.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Islander2 said:
I regularly use Meguires Quick Detail spray on the car after a hand wash and have found it works great on my chrome clad 19" wheels as well. I bought a medium soft bristle brush with a long handle that I use to clean the wheels/tires when washing and it gets most of the hard to reach places....works great on the roof as well. The Meguires really makes the wheels SHINE without much effort and maintains the shine for a long time.

+1 on the Meguire's Detail Spray.. .. works well on all exterior trim. And. . seems to last and reduces durt accumulation to quite a degree.
I also notice that if I use it regularly, the next time I run it through a car wash, there is little or no film left on the paint finish. If I skip using it awhile, I can get a dark film if I run my finger over the paint even after just washing.

If I use the Detailer regularly. . . no dirty film left after a car wash.

·
Registered
247 Posts
On the money JayTee! The Meguires Quick Detail almost insures a film free wash and bright shine for quite a while after regular use. Also makes the wood interior trim in the Bimmer just gleam. I love the stuff and find I only need to do a "real" wax job, (Meguire's Gold of course) every six to eight months to keep the cars in my garage looking pretty. And I remember hand waxing a car with paste in the 60's and 70's....never looked as good and worked my a-- off every time I did it.

But then, we didn't have magical paints of today and clearcoats back then. Just elbow grease.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good call on waxing your wheels. Helps keep brake dust from sticking. Just make sure you don't use the same rags and towels on your paint. Brake dust particles will leave fine scratches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts