GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey does anyone know if the big GMC logo on the back latch handle is just glued on or if there's some sort of drilled in post? i'm debating shaving it off but don't want to run into any surprises. got the "sle" badging off the rear upper quarter panels and considering taking the "terrain"s off the doors and rear as well...i'm a fan of the clean shaven look :)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Most external badges are either glued on or use double sided tape...I think the days of badges with posts and holes in the bodywork ended in the 70's or 80's. I saw someone post here that they used waxed dental floss and just "sawed" the badges off. Seems like a good way that won't scratch the paint.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've removed mine. It's held on with double-sided tape. The type they used is different from the other badges on the Terrain -- much thicker and more adhesive. Since it's on the plastic, you've got to be real careful not to warp the plastic chrome.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used a hair dryer and floss for the sle badges but found that the heat actually made it harder to get the remaining glue off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the posts, I had. 97 Chrysler sebring and when you removed the rear Chrysler logo there was a giant hole beneath it which is why I asked. Thanks for the answers :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
I remember that the 94-98 mustangs had holes under the side badges. Also I think civics from that era had them as well.

I dont think GM has had posts on their badges for at least 20 years.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Jeremiah said:
I used a hair dryer and floss for the sle badges but found that the heat actually made it harder to get the remaining glue off

If using a hairdryer don't use the floss.

Just a small flat screwdriver with some light cloth to protect it and lift from under one corner of the letter and with steady pulling pressure letting the hairdryer do the rest, the letters will simply start to move and then 'pop' right off without leaving any residue behind. If you have residue left then your not heating it up enough. It does take a little practice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found the hairdryer sufficient for the individual letters on the paint but not for the GMC logo in question. I upped the ante and used the heat gun to remove mine. I did find the tape they used to be thicker than that used on the individual letters and more pieces of tape remained on the chrome than the logo when I removed it. To get rid of the remaining tape I used a pinstripe remover that's inserted in a power drill. If you go that route, make sure to keep it in constant motion or you will put a wave/warp the plastic chrome on the liftgate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts