GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 LT AWD 107k miles

This issue came on fast (within a day or two) and with little warning. PLEASE NOTE: the mph given are exact and consistent

SYMPTOMS

- shifts normally(or appears to shift normally)
- accelerates normally
- drives under 30 smooth and normally
- consistently (meaning all the time) as soon as the speed hits 30 mph a faint rumble begins(it feels like its coming from behind)
- By 35 MPH it feels like someone is jackhammering under my vehicle
- Rumble becomes less severe at around 55 and is barely noticeable at 60+
- Rumble appears to be affected by bumps in the road as when I hit a bump the rumble INCREASES momentarily when the car "bottoms out" on the bump
- Conversely, the rumble subsides momentarily when the car "tops out" from a bump
- Appears teh rumble is affected by vertical G forces
- As soon as the car slows to under 35 the rumble shuts off like if someone turned a switch off and does not return again until 35 mph.

ACTIONS IVE TAKEN TO DIAGNOSE

- being on or off the gas has no perceived effect
- shifting to Neutral while the rumble is occurring has no perceived effect
- steering has no effect on the rumble
- Applying the brake has no effect

ACTIONS NOT TAKEN

- have NOT checked the trans fluid due the the ridiculous and stupid location/access to the trans dipstick
- have not changed any of the fluids of the drivetrain (trans or front/rear differential)

OUTCOME

TBD and hopefully someone has experienced this and can steer me towards a REAL fix instead of a goose hunt

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
I've never done one on a modern car, they are easy on a Studebaker with the right tools.
Yep - things have probably changed a "little" in the past 60 years ! Don't look for a ball bearing race behind a grease seal.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
HEY!! It's ONLY 52 years since they made Studebakers! :wink:
Yeah - maybe an Avanti.

Funny story- When I was young, I was walking past a neighbor's car - a Studebaker with a wooden running board, and it must have had a large splinter sticking out, and it pierced my thigh, and I still have the scar - probably 65 years later, because I must have been real short - 2-3 years old ! Weird, huh ?

Roommate in college drove a Golden Hawk. Neat car.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah - maybe an Avanti.

Funny story- When I was young, I was walking past a neighbor's car - a Studebaker with a wooden running board, and it must have had a large splinter sticking out, and it pierced my thigh, and I still have the scar - probably 65 years later, because I must have been real short - 2-3 years old ! Weird, huh ?

Avantis were made by Studebaker in 1963-4. Other models were made up to 1966.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yeah - maybe an Avanti.

So you were stabbed by a Studebaker? :surprise: That's a line from the play "Guys and Dolls"! :smile_big:

·
Registered
43 Posts
wheel bearings make a distinctive groan/hum similar to a bad tire, usually at all speeds, but the faster you drive it gets louder, a local mechanic can tell after a quick test drive if you never heard it. get the wheels up and feel during turning, you will know which wheel if it is, you will feel the roughness, also check play from 12-6, a bad bearing can have alot of play. Changing is not that bad, did many of them. You might need a hub puller and if it is frozen in a slide hammer, but usually not. autozone or other can loan both tools. If you first time it can take you about 3 hrs, after many normally about 2. I have used timken, skf, but lately using ac delco as they seem to last the longest.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts