GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

Anyone have these problems? or fixed them?

• ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ?

Votes: 0 0.0%

several problems, start-up noise, acceleration etc.

19K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  blued 
#1 ·
I got my Equinox in May of this year and everything was great! Then came August and there were all these problems popping up. First it would hesitate when I accelerated from a total stop so I brought it in and there was a recall to reprogram the computer. I did it, the problem seemed resolved and the car was driving totally different. Now I have this terrible grinding sound when I start the car. At first it only happened when the car was completely cooled down so the dealer had to keep it overnight to hear the sound. They believe its the cam phasers (as per the latest recall) so they ordered the parts and I will be bringing it in on Monday so we'll see how that goes. NOW...the noise is happening all the time, its hesitating upon acceleration again, takes a while to pop into gear when I put it in reverse, and for the last 2 days its making a clunking sound by the rear wheels when I go over this speed bump near work. I've also noticed that when I accelerate from anything over 40 or 50 mph, its very slow like its having a hard time...as if I was going up a hill. It just doesnt pick up as quickly as I think it should and Im not sure if this is normal. I can't even tell because the car was driving one way before the reprogram, differently after, and I think it changed again so I dont know how it's supposed to feel! Any input? ideas? solutions?

#3 ·
Yes...I have seen some threads about it but I can't believe Im having all these problems at once with a car thats 4 months old. And Im getting worried because although I have read threads about these issues I havent found any threads saying the problem was actually resolved.

#4 ·
Clare
Please see the Issues thread referred to above. Several dealers have had success in repairing these issues now. See for example posts by Sumr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
HMMMM.....more customers with the same issue....GM....are you still going to say you dont have a problem with the 2011 I-4 engine!!??

#6 ·
Clare, please refer to the thread titled "Issues with 2011 terrain"....I, as well as others here, experienced all the problems you listed.

My car is running fantastic now. All work done thus far includes...
- Replaced the Actuators
- Replaced the Solenoids Valves
- Four total oil changes (I think two only really mattered though, when actuators were replaced, and when solenoids were replaced)
- ECM Update (as listed in the recall 11195)

One thing that I think is paramount, is an oil change. I know you technically don't NEED an oil change at your current mileage, but it's highly recommended. (by me, anyways, and by others on this forum as well) The break-in oil has proven to be very dirty, and an oil change can only help.

More info is in the thread listed above, but this was a very quick and to the point summary.

#7 ·
@Sumr...you mentioned replacing the actuators AND solenoids which leaves me with the impression that these are 2 different parts that need to be replaced. But I just got a letter from Chevy about replacing the "camshaft position actuator solenoid valves" which mentions them as 1 part to be replaced. Can you clarify?

#8 ·
Clare said:
@Sumr...you mentioned replacing the actuators AND solenoids which leaves me with the impression that these are 2 different parts that need to be replaced. But I just got a letter from Chevy about replacing the "camshaft position actuator solenoid valves" which mentions them as 1 part to be replaced. Can you clarify?
Again, please see the Issues with 2011 Terrain thread. The first "successful" repairs replaced both the solenoids and the actuators along with the ECM update and oil change. Since then, there have been some successful repairs with just the solenoids and ECM update (not replacing the actuators). There was a prior issue with the actuators, and it's not clear that they are part of the issues now. In any event, the recall and the bulletin that preceded it both involved replacement of the solenoids (not the actuators) and update to the ECM. If the symptoms recur after that, I have seen one instance where the actuators were then replaced. But part of this may have to do with when the vehicle was built. Hope this helps. And please switch to the Issues thread.

#9 ·
Nice poll. I didn't vote because I couldn't decide which was the better option. ;)

Clare you seem to be creating threads with the same question. Heed the others instructions above and you shall find your answers.

#10 ·
Tdog said:
Again, please see the Issues with 2011 Terrain thread. The first "successful" repairs replaced both the solenoids and the actuators along with the ECM update and oil change. Since then, there have been some successful repairs with just the solenoids and ECM update (not replacing the actuators). There was a prior issue with the actuators, and it's not clear that they are part of the issues now. In any event, the recall and the bulletin that preceded it both involved replacement of the solenoids (not the actuators) and update to the ECM. If the symptoms recur after that, I have seen one instance where the actuators were then replaced. But part of this may have to do with when the vehicle was built. Hope this helps. And please switch to the Issues thread.
I get it...i need to be on a diff thread...Im new here n trying to navigate. Didnt want to stray too far from one post in particular n its not the issues that I was last asking about, its the part, and i found a thread about that too, and posted there but am curious as to Sumrs post. Most ppl are mentioning several different parts, chevy is noting it as one part, and the dealer is telling me something else. Im trying to figure out if the actuator and solenoids are 2 different things or if they are 2 parts of one component

#11 ·
They are different parts. The actuators are mechanical and positioned by oil pressure. The solenoids are electromechanical. You will find more info on the Issues thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
Yes Clare - the part you listed is the correct part for the recall. There are two of them total (one for the Intake, and one for the Exhaust). I'll copy/paste what I wrote in your other thread just to make sure you get that info in case one of these gets deleted by a mod.

"The recall is for the "solenoids" (we here call them solenoids to keep it simple)...many here have had success with just the recall work alone. Before the recall existed, a few of us had that same work in the recall, as well as the "actuators" replaced- this was before the recall was issued and it was all in a long attempt at fixing multiple problems which now appear to all be fixed by the recall alone. The recall is only OFFICIALLY intended to address concerns over poor driveability and possible stalling. It is NOT intended to correct the start-up noise, BUT it appears that many people here have had the start-up noise clear up after the recall work. The confusion in language happens because the part description for the "solenoids" is something like "cam phase actuator intake solenoid valve"...The actual "actuators" have a simple description of "actuators." Thats where it gets confusing. Some dealers will call one part or the other "cam phaser" mostly because the part descrtiption is misleading. As long as the part numbers on your work order match up with the part numbers in the recall notice, you'll be fine.

Moral of the story- the "actuators" and "solenoids" are, in fact, two different parts, but because the part descriptions are misleading, it seems that every dealer calls them by a different name. The issue that really matters is the part number itself.

Other names for actuators I've heard from dealers - cam phasers, and sprockets.
Other names for solenoids I've heard from dealers - cam phasers, actuators, actuator valve.

Kind of like calling it salsa, or hot sauce. In Texas, they tend to be one in the same. (Some also call it Picante Sauce....mass hysteria, all around.)"

#13 ·
And good luck with the recall work. About a week after it's done, post back on the "issues with 2011 Terrain" thread and let us know how your car is doing after the recall repair work. That's our main thread for these issues. We're trying to somewhat keep a head count of awesomeness. (awesomeness = effectiveness of recall) At the same time, also post the part numbers for your "solenoids" that they use, it will be helpful to us. Thanks!

#14 ·
OK...got it. The car is supposed to be fixed tomorrow so I'll give an update when I see how it is driving and Ill look into those numbers. AAAND I will post it in the terrain issues thread, now that Ive found it and understand why people were telling me to post it there. Guys...my apologies for being in the wrong thread but keep in mind, when you look at someones post or profile and see theyre a 'newbie', Im sure you can understand why that person might be a bit confused when your asking them to go to a thread about a different car. Not to mention, being new, I assumed I would find that thread on the home page, and was kind of confused when I didnt see it. I didnt find it til I typed in 2011 terrain issues in the search bar. Instead of the back and forth, or being ragged on in another post it woulda really helped me (and maybe other newbies in the future) if someone simply said..."we are discussing this in a different thread, go to the search bar, type in 2011 terrain issues, and post your questions/comments there."

#16 ·
For star up knocking noise my terrain went in july to the dealer. In August 2 times.
In September to another dealer. Even the dealer said they coudnot duplicate the noise.
No star up clatter/knoking for 10 days. Since a bought the car I have hard shifting I though was normal.
No any more, now shifting is very smoth. I do not know how GM send cars like this to the dealers.
Let see for how long?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.