GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Since it's worded as a service update and not an actual NHTSB safety recall it would be a 3/36 warranty covered item. No mention of extended coverage with time/mileage either. Out of warranty I would say it depends on the dealer and your relationship with them and if you had prior related issues with icing. They may issue extended coverage if a safety issue is deemed to prevent NHTSB getting involved.
They supply a ''bra'' to block air to the intercooler with vehicles ordered with a block heater in Canada.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have and use the bra and haven't had any issues but we don't drive the car much in winter. I hate getting salt on and in it. It appears the fix is some sort of heater. Thanks for the reply

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Ahh, that sounds pretty easy but then there's this " In addition, a new turbocharger wastegate regulator solenoid valve may need to be installed "
and ECM may need to be reprogrammed.

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't had the charge tube icing problem but I do use the lower grille cover in winter. The problem is that the cover must not be used when towing and I tow a snowmobile trailer sometimes. I may call and ask my dealer about the service update and I doubt very much they will do it for free in which case I'll try and get a quote for the job. If it's an hours labor and $50 in parts I will have it done

· Registered
131 Posts
I haven't had the charge tube icing problem but I do use the lower grille cover in winter. The problem is that the cover must not be used when towing and I tow a snowmobile trailer sometimes. I may call and ask my dealer about the service update and I doubt very much they will do it for free in which case I'll try and get a quote for the job. If it's an hours labor and $50 in parts I will have it done
If you don't mind let me know what they say in case you're able to call your dealer before I have a chance to call mine. We don't have a lower grill cover. Is that something that came with the vehicle or did you have to purchase it separately? Does using the cover help with icing?

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will report back after I call the dealer. The lower cover didn't come w/the vehicle. I think it cost me around 40 bucks and it's a bear to install just so ya know. It uses plastic clips over the plastic grlle louvers top and bottom. Be prepared for bloody knuckles

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O.K. I called my dealer. You guys will get a kick out of this...... She said there is no recall or service bulletin for my vehicle. I told her that this is a service UPDATE and gave her the update number. She looked it up and said my 19' Terrain was not part of the service update. I read from the GMAuthority wesite to her that the update affects 18-22" Terrains. She then said she'd seen it for some chevys but never the GMC vehicles. She then told me to bring it in and they would perform a diagnostic test which I would have to pay for. I told her that there is nothing wrong w/ the vehicle, the charge tube is not clogged w/ snow or ice etc and that a diagnostic test would show nothing. but that I wanted to be proactive to PREVENT an issue down the road in winter months. She said she understood and asked me if I wanted to make an appointment so their techs could perform a diagnostics test LOL.. Again I told her I just wanted the update done and asked how much it would cost for the thermal tape, wastegate solenoid valve and ECM reprogram if needed. She said she had no idea and I'd have to bring it in for diagnostics because "that's how we do it" She told me they wouldn't touch the car w/o a diagnostics test and after the test they would let me know how much $$$ for parts to do the update if the tech deemed it necessary.. I asked to speak to the service manager and she said he was out today but he'll call me tomorrow.. Stay tuned.

· Registered
131 Posts
O.K. I called my dealer. You guys will get a kick out of this...... She said there is no recall or service bulletin for my vehicle. I told her that this is a service UPDATE and gave her the update number. She looked it up and said my 19' Terrain was not part of the service update. I read from the GMAuthority wesite to her that the update affects 18-22" Terrains. She then said she'd seen it for some chevys but never the GMC vehicles. She then told me to bring it in and they would perform a diagnostic test which I would have to pay for. I told her that there is nothing wrong w/ the vehicle, the charge tube is not clogged w/ snow or ice etc and that a diagnostic test would show nothing. but that I wanted to be proactive to PREVENT an issue down the road in winter months. She said she understood and asked me if I wanted to make an appointment so their techs could perform a diagnostics test that I would pay for. LOL.. Again I told her I just wanted the update done and asked how much it would cost for the thermal tape, wastegate solenoid valve and ECM reprogram if needed. She said she had no idea and I'd have to bring it in for diagnostics because "that's how we do it".. I asked to speak to the service manager and she said he was out today but he'll call me tomorrow.. Stay tuned.
Lol wow...

· Registered
10,726 Posts
Too bad service advisors didn't have enough common sense to realize that saving GM $50 may result in losing a customer for the rest of that customer's future new car purchase decisions.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Service advisor is actually the service scheduler / cashier / key handler. Just a nicer title.
Sorry tic you had to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
Service manager will quickly realize you are big time knowledgeable when you make contact.

· Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Make sure ya get his hat....

Reactions: tic

· Registered
2019 Equinox LT AWD 1.5l
33 Posts
FYI...I had the issue that this service bulletin refers too...2 years ago...I started this thread then...https://www.terrainforum.net/threads/code-po-234-turbo-overboost.31335/#post-319161

· Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FInally talked to someone at the dealer that knew something although he too had never heard of this service update.. It was just released Jan 6th so.... Anyway it is NOT covered under warranty and they will perform the update for $225.00.. I think I'll have it done.. RIght now my situation is a catch 22.. I have the lower grille cover to prevent snow and ice from getting in which is great however you can't tow with the cover on. I tow a snowmobile trailer in winter so the cover does me no good when towing the sleds.I imagine since there's an increased load on the engine while towing, GM says take the cover off

1 - 20 of 26 Posts