GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today all of a sudden i started getting Service Tire Monitor System message and light on front dash board screen. Tried several times relearn with ignition on and off but no luck so far.

Any one else experiencing similar problem.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Chevrolet Customer Svc said:
matt18,

I will be sending you a private message shortly.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.
Tricia

Lately, it seems like your mantra is "I will be sending you a private message shortly". If you are providing information to the person on the solution to their problem, might you be able to share it with the rest of us, so that we can all benefit from your knowledge/expertise. In the long run, it may be more beneficial to GM.

THX

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
I understand that there has been some concerns lately regarding my methods of sending private messages. I am simply sending private messages on occasions where I will need some more personal information from someone. After I do some research on an issue, I will publicly post and information I find, if I feel that is applies to more than one person. I welcome your feedback and if you have any other recommendations feel free to let me know. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
338 Posts
matt81 said:
Today all of a sudden i started getting Service Tire Monitor System message and light on front dash board screen. Tried several times relearn with ignition on and off but no luck so far.

Any one else experiencing similar problem.

Thanks

Matt
If you are getting dashes on one of the tire readings, you may need to go to the dealership.

Are you following the relearn procedure, such as reducing the air in each tire to get them to program?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, I'm finally taking the plunge and making my first post. I have been lurking on this site for about 6 weeks now.
I took ownership of my 2011 Equinox on April 5th. My family and I are very pleased and quickly fell in love with the Nox and its many features. However, at this point, I am not overly impressed with the fuel consumption, but I understand that the break in period needs to pass and after the first oil change or two it'll get better - I'll post more in the appropriate threads.

Today I experienced the exact same issue as Matt81.

The DIC said "SERVICE TIRE MONITOR SYSTEM", and the "Tire Pressure Light" warning light came on.
In the DIC, the Drivers rear tire had dashes (--) listed, not the pressure in lbs - like the other 3 tires. With the car still running, I physically checked the tire pressure (38 lbs), I release the pressure (down to 36 lbs on my gauge). Now on the DIC, the dashes are gone for that tire and it has a reading 33 lbs. The Tire Pressure Light stayed on until I shut the Nox down and it didn't come back on when I restarted the Nox and continued on my way. I have not yet tried to run the Re-Learn procedure.

That said, I have two questions;
1. There was a 3 lbs difference between the DIC and my gauge (a high quality gauge that I've been using for over 15 years now). Is the reading in the DIC for the tire pressure accurate? (or is it time for me to buy a new gauge?)

2. Matt81, has there been a resolution to your issue?

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
CHEQ11 said:
I have not yet tried to run the Re-Learn procedure.
As I understand it, GM has changed the ability to do the Self Re-Learn Procedure in the 2011 Theta vehicles. Try it, and report back, but I suspect you are SOL.

:thumbdown: :mad:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
CHEQ11,

I have read your post about your Equinox. According to the information on page 5-25 of the 2011 Chevrolet Equinox owner’s manual, the tire pressure display is showing the approximate pressures of all four tires.

I have also found on page 5-31 of the owner’s manual for the 2011 Equinox that if you have the “Service Tire Monitor System” light on this message is letting you know that there is a problem with the Tire Pressure Monitor System. For more information about the Tire Pressure Monitor System you can visit page 10-56 of your owner’s manual.

With the above information found in your owner’s manual, I recommend contacting your local Chevrolet dealership to let them know what is going on.

Michelle P., GM Customer Service

·
Registered
4 Posts
UPDATE:
I haven't experienced the issue with the TPMS since the first episode. :cheers:

@RIT333 - My '11 LTZ has the "RELEARN" option. From the Tire Pressure screen, press and hold the SET/CLR button until the Are you sure that you want to relearn? screen appears, from this screen you are prompted with a Yes or No.[/color]

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
CHEQ11 said:
UPDATE:
I haven't experienced the issue with the TPMS since the first episode. :cheers:

@RIT333 - My '11 LTZ has the "RELEARN" option. From the Tire Pressure screen, press and hold the SET/CLR button until the Are you sure that you want to relearn? screen appears, from this screen you are prompted with a Yes or No.[/color]
Great on both items.

On #2 - It would have been a shame to take away that capability. It really works slick. THX for the info.

·
Registered
749 Posts
My TPMS error message popped up yesterday and is still active. It cannot get the PSI for the front left tire. I did the relearn procedure and it was fine for about an hour but has since redisplayed the error message. Does this mean i need a new sensor or could it be a deeper problem? The other 3 are fine. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
5,184 Posts
prob a low/dying batt on that sensor

·
Registered
749 Posts
rbarrios said:
prob a low/dying batt on that sensor
can the battery be replaced or do I new a new sensor altogether?

·
Registered
10,548 Posts
Phantm006 said:
can the battery be replaced or do I new a new sensor altogether?
I'm pretty sure battery can be replaced. There is a rebuild kit for the sensors.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a new 2014 1LT and it has given me nothing but trouble in the 2 months that I've had it. Started giving me the monitor needs service flashing before I even got it home when I bought it. Been to the dealer 4 times. They have changed both rear sensors of course in two separate trips but the right rear is still acting up. Need to make another trip to the dealer but it's costing me a lot of time getting this thing fixed. Pretty bad for a vehicle with only 500 miles on it. I wonder if others with new vehicles are having this trouble. Too bad I can't just disable it.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
thomas1224 said:
I have a new 2014 1LT and it has given me nothing but trouble in the 2 months that I've had it. Started giving me the monitor needs service flashing before I even got it home when I bought it. Been to the dealer 4 times. They have changed both rear sensors of course in two separate trips but the right rear is still acting up. Need to make another trip to the dealer but it's costing me a lot of time getting this thing fixed. Pretty bad for a vehicle with only 500 miles on it. I wonder if others with new vehicles are having this trouble. Too bad I can't just disable it.
Wow, that's ridiculous. In the four different vehicles I have with the a tire pressure motioning system (not all GM) - none have ever given me any trouble. Not even to change the batteries. My 2013 Terrain never had a TPMS problem.

thomas1224, hope you're getting each visit documented and papers with you when you leave. Bring up Lemon Law with the dealership - they'll wanna get this fixed right quick. Depends on where you live, but often it's only 3 visits, then you could file suit and GM/dealership eats the cost.

·
Registered
749 Posts
thomas1224 said:
wow. I really hope I don't have to go through all that. I haven't had an issue with the sensors until recently. Do you know how much a sensor costs?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts