GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the full text description for PIT4994A? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
#PIT4994B: Liftgate Rattles Over Rough Roads - (Dec 20, 2010)

Subject: Liftgate Rattles Over Rough Roads

Models: 2010 - 2011 Chevrolet Equinox : 2010 - 2011 GMC Terrain

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4994A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of a rattle noise from the rear liftgate on rough roads.

This may be caused either the following.

•Insufficient contact between liftgate wedges.
•Latch contacting striker
Note: The liftgate struts will not cause the rattle noise when the liftgate is closed (even though they can be forced to rattle by hand when gate is open.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Concern 1 Insufficient contact between liftgate wedges.

Check Wedge engagement (paper test):

Open Liftgate, insert paper between Body Side & Liftgate Side Wedges, close Liftgate, if paper cannot be removed- grease Liftgate Side Wedge with GM#9985880 (in Canada, use 10953481) If paper can be removed, reset Wedges seen below.

To Reset Liftgate Wedges:

•Loosen Liftgate Side Wedge center screw to allow center portion to "ratchet" along internal detents freely.
•Pull center adjustment portion of Liftgate Side Wedges to full downward position.
•Close Liftgate to full latch engagement. Use power to close w/ Power Liftgate system (if available), close manually on non-power lift gates (do not slam). Open Lift gate.
•Pull center adjustment portion down one additional detent & torque screw 5.0NM. Note: If Wedge adjustment does not have enough travel for the one additional detent- Add washer GM#11562459 under the two Liftgate Side Wedge attachments to shim as required.
•Recheck engagement with paper test procedure above, repeat step #4 until paper cannot be removed.
•Grease Liftgate Side with GM#9985880 (in Canada, use 10953481) See the picture above.
Concern 2 Latch contacting striker.

Adjust Liftgate Latch Striker:

•Loosen (2) Liftgate Striker Bolts through cutouts in the trim carpet.
•Adjust Striker to the right (passenger side) in ~1.00mm increments. Keep adjustment to a minimum as not to affect Liftgate gaps and flush.
•Torque Striker Bolts to specification.
MUST reset Wedges per steps 1-6 Wedge rattle procedure.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation B9934* Labor Time 0.5 hr

Description: Adjust Liftgate Side Wedges and Striker to Correct Rattle Concern

* This is a unique labor operation for PI use only. This number will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks bigb12359!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure my Terrain also has the problem, but it seems to come and go and is very dependent on the type of road service. It's going to be very difficult to demonstrate this to the dealer.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
DavidPJ said:
I'm pretty sure my Terrain also has the problem, but it seems to come and go and is very dependent on the type of road service. It's going to be very difficult to demonstrate this to the dealer.

Re: Service Bulletin PIT4994A Rear Latch Creak
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 09:01:01 AM » Quote

#PIT4994B: Liftgate Rattles Over Rough Roads - (Dec 20, 2010)

Subject: Liftgate Rattles Over Rough Roads

Models: 2010 - 2011 Chevrolet Equinox : 2010 - 2011 GMC Terrain

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT4994A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may complain of a rattle noise from the rear liftgate on rough roads.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find the washer that's required? Or something similar? I tried some from the parts store and they're too thick.

·
Registered
749 Posts
1999 White C5 Coupe said:
Why don't you purchase (or order & purchase) them from your local GM dealer?
Yeah. I think I'm going to have to bite the billet and buy them. It's not a hard fix for the washers, the striker may be a little more difficult though.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I just checked and the washers come from Michigan. No dealer in GA carries them.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Well, many dealers have their own websites.

You could try searching for some in Michigan and order from one of them.

Or, why not order one from GM?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts