GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I got a message on the display panel this morning to "SERVICE AIRBAG", but the strangest thing the night before place the SUV in the garage with no alarm or code displaying.
Can someone please tell me how, why, or what is needed to repair or reset.
Also, There was no code on the code reader
Thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Possible problem with the Airbag (SRS) Module.
Code readers usually are not able to read Airbag codes.
A more advanced scanner is needed.

Disconnecting the battery probably won't help because SRS codes are usually permanent and will clear after the problem is repaired.
Might still be worth a try.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
SRS have a fairly long warranty. Give your dealer a call to find out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I finally received my ABS & Airbag Foxwell NT630 Plus scanner, and it did found the problem code
It display:
B0013OD - Steering Wheel Air Bag Deployment Loop Stage 2 - High Resistance
According to the scanner the ohms reading and mostly has a reading of 220-240 ohms reading, where as the steering wheel Stage Loop 1 has 280 ohms and steering wheel Stage Loop3 has 470 ohms reading.
Other than the steering wheel air bag 2 terminal connections, where are the other yellow color connectors located for the steering wheel air bag?
I did tired to reset the code, and it did reset, but the code came back again, so now I have to find a loose or dirty plug connections
Thanks

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
This is starting from the steering wheel airbag, and working toward the airbag module, located between the drivers and passenger seats, bolted to the floor UNDER the the center console.
Yes the console must be removed for access, the other module in that location is the Yaw module, you don't want that one.

Four wires from the steering wheel airbag, to the airbag coil, to the airbag module.

Airbag connector X2 Pin 1, white wire --> to airbag coil --> to airbag module connector X1 Pin 1
X2 Pin 2, pink wire --> to airbag coil --> to airbag module connector X1 Pin 2

X1 Pin 1, tan wire --> to airbag coil-->to airbag module connector X1 Pin 4
X1 Pin 2 brown wire-->to airbag coil--->to airbag module connector X1 Pin 3

Hope this helps, info from 2014 Equinox Repair Manual

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
One last thing that I noticed.
A worn steering wheel air bag coil will cause B0012 or B0013 to set.

To test, turn steering wheel 360 degrees to to left and right.
While turning, view the scan tool Deployment Loop Resistance parameters

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One last thing that I noticed.
A worn steering wheel air bag coil will cause B0012 or B0013 to set.

To test, turn steering wheel 360 degrees to to left and right.
While turning, view the scan tool Deployment Loop Resistance parameters
I already turned the steering wheel 360 degrees to the left and to the right and the resistance value on the Steering Wheel Air Bag Deployment Loop Stage 2 still had a High Resistance value of 2.80 of either direction.
This might be due to poor terminal connection on the steering wheel itself or somewhere behind the steering wheel dashboard.
I have checked on YouTube on how to remove the airbag from the steering wheel, but on the 2015 model there is no pin hole to put a screwdriver into to release the internal airbag pins. DO you know where or how to remove the airbag from a 2015 model?
Thanks

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Safe to assume that the dealer said it is not under warranty any more ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi All,
I have read and researched YouTube for the removal of Airbag and also removal of ClockSpring, and both Site I added give very good instruction on how to remove both Airbag and ClockSpring.
After disconnecting both battery terminals, I waited at least one hour just to make sure all was discharge
After removing Airbag, steering wheel and ClockSpring, I spray contact cleaner on all female terminals, and also spray inside the ClockSpring which was very dirty. After all was dried I apply some dielectric Silicone Compound on all female connectors and reassemble everything back together.
Reconnected the positive battery post and then the negative battery post, Connect the Foxwell scanner, and then turn the ignition to on position with engine off, and the Airbag symbol was gone from the instrument panel.
I still use the scanner to clear the fault which was still in memory, and I will pickup a new ClockSpring for future replacement.

Removal of Airbag:

Removal of ClockSpring:

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Good video for the clock spring removal.
Did your 2015 have the two holes for releasing the pins?
Did you check your ohm readings when you were done?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good video for the clock spring removal.
Did your 2015 have the two holes for releasing the pins?
Did you check your ohm readings when you were done?
Yes, like the video I too have the same location of releasing the airbag, but the only problem I had only both holes were not visible as the video. Mine was being cover with the plastic molding behind the steering wheel, so I turn the steering wheel until one hole was visible to insert a small screwdriver to release the airbag clip, and then turn the steering wheel the other direction until the other airbag hole was visible.
It's funny you asked, I connected the scanner to clear the fault and I though I save the reading after I rescan, but it didn't save so I have to reconnect, scan and read the Steering Wheel Air Bag Deployment Loop Stage 2 resistance again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts