GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Based on the phenomenal growth of all our forums, we will be moving from the shared hosting platform we've been using to a new Virtual Dedicated Server over the next week or so. The good news is, this should give us even more forum speed and performance and will give me much more detailed control over the server so I'll be able to further tweak back end stuff moving forward.

The (small) downside is, when it comes time to move the database portion, there will be a window where the forum will not be accessible. If all goes smoothly, I'm hoping this will only be a few hours. Rest assured that this is an upgrade and that these minor issues will give us much more room to grow in the years to come. I'll be rolling the migration over one forum at a time and will post a note on each when I know the specific date / time the move will happen.

Other than the downtime, there will be no change to end users. The url stays the same and everything will look identical. I'm just giving you guys some advance notice so it doesn't come as a total shock the day of the move :) Hopefully I don't break anything in the process. Wish me luck! lol

thanks,
admin

·
Registered
378 Posts
Re: SERVER MOVE - advanced notice

Good luck, and make sure there is a good backup, even simple migration can take form of a monster cluster **** sometimes ;)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Re: SERVER MOVE - advanced notice

equinox2 said:
Good luck, and make sure there is a good backup, even simple migration can take form of a monster cluster **** sometimes ;)
Holding my breath...

A good friend lost 10 years of work doing one of these...the entire database was lost...everything (he did NOT have his own back-up...lots of files...but not a complete back-up)

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update guys, we will be moving this forum over to our new dedicated server today. At some point this afternoon, I'll need to lock the forum so that as few posts and possible get lost in the move. Other forums have been taking, on average, 4 hours to move, but the final step is DNS propagation, which can take 24 hours depending on where you live.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good Luck with the move! This is a great Forum!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! Luckily, I've had to do this about a half dozen times now so I think I have it down. :) The move has completed successfully!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts